canopycandy

Beautiful skydiving column

My co-worker wrote a really, truly fabulous column about skydiving, a recent incident and the memorial jump, http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050807/SPT/508070409/-1/CINCI

Honestly -- it's the best thing I've ever seen from a non-jumper. Actually, it could be the best thing I've read about skydiving at all.

(Full disclosure: I'm not just saying this because my boyfriend, Jason, is a part of the story. It's just that good.)

My co-worker wrote a really, truly fabulous column about skydiving, a recent incident and the memorial jump, http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050807/SPT/508070409/-1/CINCI

Honestly -- it's the best thing I've ever seen from a non-jumper. Actually, it could be the best thing I've read about skydiving at all.

What she said. That's definitely the best "whuffo" article I've read, and I can't think of an article in Parachutist or Skydiving that was as engrossing. Kudo's to your co-worker, nice job.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

wow... that was very nicely written. i have tears in my eyes now from reading it

I couldn't have said it better myself. That was an awesome article.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I saw that the other day and emailed the author thanking him for the great piece. It may be worth sending a note to him or better yet, his boss.

It was nice to see a well researched article after so many with quotes like this "he may have experienced what is called a spinning malfunction. That's when a skydiver spins at a high rate of speed, becomes unaware of the altitude and deploys the chutes too late. " [:/]

~Cindy~
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Spelling and grammar errors are left as an exercise for the reader.

I'm not just saying this because my boyfriend, Jason, is a part of the story. It's just that good.

Very VERY well written...

The person that authored that article may be what some consider a Wuffo...but they're definitely
"One Of Us" in how they see our sport!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

A well written article.

Question for camerapersons. The article describes the collision occuring because after wave-off, the cameraman went "above and to one side" above the opening tandem canopy. I don't think I've ever seen cameramen intentionally go above a tandem pair - even if above and to one side. Usually, they stay in front of, and slightly below the tandem pair, especially during opening.

Is it a common practice to show the opening from above? In light of this accident, it does seem like a bad idea. The article later states "How was it that the tandem chute that is supposed to take 10 to 15 seconds to open fully instead billowed in 1.7 seconds?" I don't film tandems, but I'm not sure I would trust a slow opening canopy enough to get above it.

Maybe the author didn't fully understand what caused the accident, and didn't report it accurately?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I don't think it was inaccurate, because he spoke to so many people who described it in great detail -- including quite a few folks who saw the video.

I'm not a videographer. But I have seen many tandem videos that show the bag coming out of the container -- which would have been shot above the pair. But that's something that has already been discussed at great length in the incidents forum.