PeteDSM

Need Helmet advice for novice

WHat are the advatages/disadvatages of open versus closed faced helmets? I am leaning towards closed face because the dry mouth i get from wind annoys me plus clumsiness and expensive dental work.

What is the best closed face? I am looking at the Mamba, Havok, OxygnA3 and Freezr MK2...

Closed faced helmets are theoretically:
Easier to put on in the plane. No worries about goggles fogging up while you're waiting to get out. Just flip the lid down when you're ready to go.
Quieter, due to less airflow into the helmet
Warmer for the same reason
Cooler because all the pro's wear them, even free fliers.
Better face protection. No one likes a knee to the nose. A chin cup can help on an open faced helmet.

Closed face helmets suck because the might be:
More expensive. More material/perceived features == more cost
Stuffier (is that a word?) You don't get that "air on your face" feeling some people love.
Foggier? Some people say their glasses fog up more in cold weather with a closed face helmet. I've never had this problem, though it doesn't get *that* cold here.
Worse for communication. Having a chin bar in front of your mouth doesn't exactly do wonders for your ability to yell audibly to a friend under canopy.

I like my Mamba. Don't know that it's the best, but it seems to be fairly popular. I do dislike the fact that the screen is un-formed and must be bent substantially to get it into place. Then again, they can be made cheaply.

I also have a protec that I wear when I feel the need for an open face.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

The best full face for you is the one that fits YOU best. Some are better for different head shapes/sizes. Sizing also varies a lot between and even within manufacturers for different types of helmets. Try them on, and get the one that fits your head well and still allows you good peripheral vision. If you don't have access to a gear store with a lot of sizes/styles to try on, ask other jumpers if you can try theirs on. If you want to be able to open/close the face shield, make sure you can do that easily on the helmet you like - both with and without gloves on if you ever wear them to jump.

The best full face for you is the one that fits YOU best. Some are better for different head shapes/sizes. Sizing also varies a lot between and even within manufacturers for different types of helmets. Try them on, and get the one that fits your head well and still allows you good peripheral vision. If you don't have access to a gear store with a lot of sizes/styles to try on, ask other jumpers if you can try theirs on. If you want to be able to open/close the face shield, make sure you can do that easily on the helmet you like - both with and without gloves on if you ever wear them to jump.

i'll second that. i bought a mamba after trying on several others that just didn't feel quite right on my fat/oddly shaped head. :S i also like it for the visor security (stays down in any body position) and the fact i can change it out easily and cheaply. the visor itself has a carbon fibre frame so i'm not pulling directly on the visor. peripheral vision is great. the only gripe i have is that i have to remove one of the internal pads (velcro attachment) to install my audible.

bottom line, try on a bunch and pick the one that feels right and has features you are comfortable with.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001