CazmoDee

Riser Length

I'm not sure exactly where you measure from, but probably the length of the webbing. 19" is a pretty common size. The idea is to just barely be able to reach the slider. The longer your risers are the more toggle stroke you have for flaring. This is more important if your canopy is set up with the correct amount of slack in the steering lines to use front risers. I have 19" right now but I'm going to try a set of 21" when I order my next set.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

"I don't think that would matter for you. If you can reach the slider without any problem thats ok."

Wow, I'm not sure how to respond. I never said I was going to go longer or shorter. I simply would like to know the length of the risers on my rig. Perhaps I need replace what I have with the same length. Without knowing how long they are, how can I order new ones? I'm at home now (I don't live with a rigger) and thought this would be the place to get an answer.
The pros/cons of different lengths was just for general knowledge.
I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313

Who made the risers? Manufactures have some standard sizes that they send with certain sized rigs. Different manufactures have 18" risers, some have 19". Some have 20", some have 22".

Me, I have 25" risers from Infinity. I asked for a custom dive loop setup and they made it for me.

You'll even find riggers that can make a good set of risers and make them any length and any way you want.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Most of the time you can contact the manufacturer, provide them the serial number and DOM of the rig and they could tell you exactly what it was made with. Now if the risers were changed they may not be the same size but I hope that helps a little bit.

Without knowing how long they are, how can I order new ones?

You would get something between 19"-22" without any specific request for an extra long one. Take a hard guess, you might have to measure the webbing. ;)
It would be more important to get risers with hard housing.

hiya,

get a tape measure and measure the lenght of the webbing,that will give you the over all lenght of the riser.manufactures have standard lenghts between normally 18-22" risers.
i agree you should be able to reach the slider with your risers.but definitly make sure that youare able to reach the toogles no matter what;) i had one lady customer here that had trouble reaching her standard 20" risers.she was small and had short arms.i got her a 16 riser instead and all is good for her now.
swoopers tend to go for bigger risers like 24-25-26" risers.it helps them with there glide and better swoop.as it helps them to flaten out the canopy that bit more.but i would not recommend that unless you are well expierienced swooper,as it can change the stalling point of a canopy.
and its a good question,you can learn good stuff on this site,and normally you get a reliable answer.
cherrio

What would be the correct way to measure risers?

Hi,
There are pretty much 2 ways to measure the main risers.
1 - overall length of webbing. Mirage, UPT...
2 - overall length of webbing plus the bottom ring. SunPath...

Standard risers are normally 20" long.

Blues,
Gus Marinho

.it helps them with there glide and better swoop.as it helps them to flaten out the canopy that bit more.

I think it might have more effect on the recovery of the canopy.

but i would not recommend that unless you are well expierienced swooper,as it can change the stalling point of a canopy.

Please explain it in details. How is a different riser would change the stall point if the guide ring is about the same distance from the connector links?

.it helps them with there glide and better swoop.as it helps them to flaten out the canopy that bit more.

I think it might have more effect on the recovery of the canopy.

but i would not recommend that unless you are well expierienced swooper,as it can change the stalling point of a canopy.

Please explain it in details. How is a different riser would change the stall point if the guide ring is about the same distance from the connector links?

I think he means if you are used to flying deep brakes or finishing your flare with your arms and hands in a certain position relative to your head and shoulders, longer risers will make that position deeper in brakes and you may accidentally stall.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I think he means if you are used to flying deep brakes or finishing your flare with your arms and hands in a certain position relative to your head and shoulders, longer risers will make that position deeper in brakes and you may accidentally stall.

Do 3 inches make a big difference for you? ;)