jephprospect

skydiving with ipod's?

I recommend you put it on the ground, it will be safe, and we will all be safer. Thanks for playing. :)
Seriously though there are a big concerns that I have with music while skydiving. In the plane it may impair your ability to listen and respond to commands relating to an in air emergency. Even if it isn't an emergency you may lose key information relayed by the pilot or other jumpers on board.

In freefall and under canopy it is going to be a distraction. Don't forget you share the skies with other jumpers.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

pods... Do people actually jump with them? And if you do jump with them where do you recomend putting it so it's safe?

Those guys are super cool and much smarter than the rest of us. Therefore, they don't really need their sense of hearing to skydive safely, so it's okay. They don't need to hear their audible altimeter alerts, or the sound of other canopies nearby in the sky. It's all good. And while they're at it, they might as well also wear a blindfold, because they can just use "the force", like those Star Wars guys, instead of depending upon their vision. Long live the Jedi knight skydivers!

pods... Do people actually jump with them? And if you do jump with them where do you recomend putting it so it's safe?

Those guys are super cool and much smarter than the rest of us. Therefore, they don't really need their sense of hearing to skydive safely, so it's okay. They don't need to hear their audible altimeter alerts, or the sound of other canopies nearby in the sky. It's all good. And while they're at it, they might as well also wear a blindfold, because they can just use "the force", like those Star Wars guys, instead of depending upon their vision. Long live the Jedi knight skydivers!

Or, perhaps they only listen in one ear while riding to altitude... But that wouldn't make any room for sarcasm and judgement laden replies, would it? :|

I think the idea of listening to anything while actually on a skydive is ridiculous, yet I've never heard of anyone actually doing it in real life, either.
I occasionally listen to mine on the ride to altitude, and put one earphone in the ear that is closest to the window. That way, the ear that is pointed towards the rest of the cabin is free to hear things like "your shoe is untied" or "EXIT NOW!!".
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

Or, perhaps they only listen in one ear while riding to altitude... But that wouldn't make any room for sarcasm and judgement laden replies, would it? :|

I think the idea of listening to anything while actually on a skydive is ridiculous, yet I've never heard of anyone actually doing it in real life, either.

Now you have. Nearly 400 jumps with em' in. It's possible to be responsible, attentive, and aware while wearing headphones.
What's ridiculous is people that have never worn headphones on a jump or on a scubadive lecturing others about how bad it is. There are many types of headphones, multiple methods of being safe with them.
There are several potential dangers. Like everything else in skydiving.

Now you have. Nearly 400 jumps with em' in. It's possible to be responsible, attentive, and aware while wearing headphones.
What's ridiculous is people that have never worn headphones on a jump or on a scubadive lecturing others about how bad it is. There are many types of headphones, multiple methods of being safe with them.
There are several potential dangers. Like everything else in skydiving.

what do you recommend? In the helmet? Is there a website? I'm not going to do it for a while but I am very curious how people do it without the wire messing with the parachute or with out it falling to the ground

jumping will make you deaf anyway - so the best way is to speed up the process and wear an ipod or a walkman or whatever floats your boat, turn the volume to the max and laugh at the pussies that want to spoil your fun :)

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

what do you recommend? In the helmet? Is there a website? I'm not going to do it for a while but I am very curious how people do it without the wire messing with the parachute or with out it falling to the ground

Yours is the classic example of a newer jumper shopping around until you find the (minority) opinion that you want to hear.

I haven't met Spot (DSE) yet, but I greatly respect the stuff he writes on here. But this is one issue on which I disagree with him. Do a search for other threads discussing this very topic; I think you'll find, with all due respect to Spot, that his is the minority opinion. And I'm willing to bet (I'm sure we'll see if I'm right) that he agrees with me that, in any event, a new jumper such as yourself (18 jumps in your profile as of this date) should not have the distraction of listening to music during a skydive.

Notice that Spot mentioned that he has 400 or so "ipod" jumps with no problems, but over 1000 jumps in total. He can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think he was trying encourage you to actually do this at your current jump numbers.

You are going to be busy concentrating on not killing yourself for the next handful of jumps... one thing at a time.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Another poster has it right; DO NOT attempt to wear headphones until you have an ass-load of jumps, are exceptionally current, AND have some additiona safety buffers.
Here's the deal...
~I'm very current, and have over 1100 jumps in just over two years.
~I'm a musician, music is full-time, part of my life. I don't breathe well without music.
~I also have a degree in Audio Engineering. I know just a tad about how hearing, acoustics, and noisy environments work. I also work very closely with concert and live performance equipment on a regular basis, and have designed a breakaway system.
~Using an iPod or similar in freefall isn't just "something I decided to do." I spent a lot of time looking at various headphones, gadgets, and breakaway gear, not to mention testing a few gadgets and ideas. Talked to people that have been using music in freefall for decades (BTW, if you use your regular iPod in the aircraft or in freefall, it WILL ABSOLUTELY fail. The HDD can't handle the airpressure (lack of it).
If not done right, the distraction of music, like a camera, can be fatal. Norman and Deanna Kent nearly died in a jump using music. It can really f$%! your awareness.

My response to this question isn't one of "It's cool to fly with music."
My response to this question is to point out that wearing an iPod isn't irresponsible, it's not dangerous, it can be a benefit IN THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES. Replies like some of the above are simply inappropriate; name-calling, derision, condescension are tools of the ignorant.

You *can* make safe decisions about your skydiving and music. But...if you're planning on running to Walmart and buying noise-cancelling earphones or similar, then you're merely asking for trouble. Especially with fewer than 500 jumps.
And no....I can't tell a low-number jumper about how to go about this, any more than I'd expect a high performance canopy instructor to teach me how to swoop at 50 jumps.
Hopefully this answers your question. PM's won't get any more info from me either.;)

I have made a bunch of jumps while listening to my IPOD. I agree with the other posters here that at your jump numbers the ipod thing needs to wait awhile. But Having said that I respectively disagree with the people who say you should not jump with it at all. I only use when I am doing a hop and pop and if I am going solo. I do not use it when I am freeflying ether by myself or with other people and I do not use if I am doing a hop n pop with other people. I did once when 4 of us did a high pull together and when I got down one of the guys I was with said he was trying to talk to me under canopy but i did not hear him. So I quickly decided not to do that again. So yes I do not think wearing an ipod under certain circumstances is a inherently dangerous thing. I don't do it because I think it's cool or that i am better than anyone else. For those people who do use them in freefall I do not judge negatively. It is their choice and right to do what they wish. All of us are responsible for our own choices. We choose to get on the plane, we choose who to jump with or without, we choose our own gear, what type of jump we are going to make etc.. Just my .02
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

For those people who do use them in freefall I do not judge negatively. It is their choice and right to do what they wish. All of us are responsible for our own choices.

The problem is when their choice endangers someone else because they have voluntarily forfeited their sense of hearing...

If they want to kill themselves, that's their business.

But when they try to kill me because they can't hear anything else, then there's a BIG problem.

well thanks for all the input and advice folks and no I won't jump with music or even have music in the plane till AT LEAST 100 jumps.

Not wanting to jump on you particularly, but the only experienced person with an in-depth answer to the question had a different number before the '00' in his post.

I know a hundred jumps sounds like a long time away and a lot of experience, but it isn't. Neither is 500, particularly, but it seems to be the point at which a lot of people (finally) realise we still don't actually know anything yet :)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

But when they try to kill me because they can't hear anything else, then there's a BIG problem.

I have to ask you how often do you actually need to communicate in FF or under canopy to prevent an accident?

I have never "needed" to communicate even under canopy. Sure I have done it when flying "crw"-for fun after a skydive, but most of the time we wont hear what the other guy is saying..

Under my bonehead optik I dont think I will hear you under canopy unless you are flying next to me and yelling LOUD..

try flying up to someone and yelling. With all my camera gear on I can still hear if someone is around and trying to get my attention. I have flown up to students staring at the ground and they can hear me when I yell at them to "look around".

So let's just say that you are on your way to altitude rocking out to your "50cent" and an announcement has been made that changes the landing direction, exit separation, Increasingly gusty winds on the ground, or any other fairly important piece of information that could affect your safety or other people's safety. Now you get hurt or you hurt someone else on the load all because you wanted to listen to some music and tune out the rest of the world for 15 minutes.

I have seen this very thing happen on more than one instance. If you want to oopen really high and listen to some tunes or you are doing a solo all by your self...ok. But please if you are going to be anywhere near people give us the courtesy of being able to hear us if we want to talk to you.

100 jumps isn't remotely close to enough jumps to begin wearing an iPod, just as I told you in your PM, too. But heck, might as well downsize to that 120 while you're at it. At least you'll be going "rillly, rillly fasst" while you listen to those tunes.
it's not about the iPod. some people are too dumb to grasp that concept. It's about the DISTRACTION the device brings to the table.

The people that bleat on about "not being able to hear in the cabin" or "can't hear under canopy" are likely the same people that speak loudly on a cell phone no matter where they are.
Note to those people: we can hear you, even from the other side of the room. You're annoying.:P

try flying up to someone and yelling.

I have and I know how it is. You have to be quite close.

Second of all, to me it seems difficult to come up with even a theoretical (not to speak of a likely) scenario where you would actually NEED to talk to someone while under canopy.

So let's just say that you are on your way to altitude rocking out to your "50cent" and an announcement has been made that changes the landing direction, exit separation, Increasingly gusty winds on the ground, or any other fairly important piece of information that could affect your safety or other people's safety. Now you get hurt or you hurt someone else on the load all because you wanted to listen to some music and tune out the rest of the world for 15 minutes.

Point taken.

Suggestion to resolve the problem:
Ask your buddy to inform you any piece of info if necessary.

"I would like to focus on my skydive by listening some music, would it be possible you inform me if theres any info given out.

Lots of people wear ear plugs in the plane AND in freefall. You consider that hazardous ?

Now Im not saying the OP should start listening his Ipod for quite a while. Keeping things simple in the start is definetly a good idea. For more experienced it might not be such a big issue.. I dont know ? Im merely trying to approach this question with logic and common sence rather than just intuition and preconception..

hope this is the right section for this question if not I apologize. I see people listening to ipods in the plane on the way up. Do people actually jump with them or just to relax in the plane? And if you do jump with them where do you recomend putting it so it's safe?

It is my opinion that the iPod device is something extra to piss around with on the plane instead of doing *another* gear check. I learned this when I tried jumping with one a few times. Fiddling with the damn pockets to get it in, the headphones staying put whilst putting on my helmet and selecting the right tunes took away from decent attention I should of spent on my gear and the gear around me.

I also have heard more than one person say that they think it is rude, and for sure I don't want to be rude.