ChickenSandwich

Anyone have an Argus?

I have one and highly recommend them. They pack up clean, I like their strong casing, they're waterproof, the batteries are easy (and cheap) to replace, and they have great customer service... as a rigger and active jumper I've got no complaints!

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

As a rigger, I have had to replace two control panels due to the lcd screen breaking. If there is a weak spot, I think that is it. Also , two sets of batteries have needed replacing in what I would consider a short period( one was maybe 6 months).

Got one...price was a +

Like I've said before...there isn't alot a skydiver can say about one AAD over the other except this...

If I ever need it, and it saves me...I'll love it... If it ever screws me...I'll hate it.

I do not buy into the "this AAD has more years of experience over that one..." argument.. never have, never will. My logic, is that any aad is just one software upgrade or one new model away from having a problem.

:)
Why you need an AAD with Multi mode setting ?

Be Safe !!!

That's actually a good question, but perhaps a high performance canopy pilot who also does another discipline...perhaps wingsuiting? Speed (swoop) Mode vs. Standard Mode edit to add...Not talking about myself, just thinking of who could benefit from multi settings

But I think its really just a selling point for them. "No need to send it back to us to change it!!"

Why you need an AAD with Multi mode setting ?

How about:

- Swoop mode when swooping, normal mode when not swooping.
- DZ owned rigs that are used as both student rigs and rental rigs.
- A DZ with an AAD away for service can borrow an AAD from a student rig to use in a tandem rig, or vice versa.
- If you ever sell it, you now have a larger pool of potential buyers.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

:)
DZ use is a different story & even for that I would say AAD for each level might be better. No chance of wrong setting.

There were cases when modes were changed & went outside for the wrong use. (Deland, Eloy)

I'm not sure that the "Swoop Mode" will work same as the PRO / EXPERT in normal "Expert" condition. (speed factor)

There are more points to consider like time in the market, batteries cycle, mfg. service, service centers & more.

Be Safe !!!

I would recommend you to buy a Vigil II which is more tested than the Argus and way more advanced than the Cypres and more user's friendly. I personnally had a Vigil I and got 2 firings when needed and can tell you that it worked as designed. I now have a Vigil II and I am very happy with it. Having the Vigil interface allowed me to download the data and see my jump graphs and determine that my former Sabre II-170 was opening on 340 feet vertical distance average. Now with my Vigil II download I can tell you that my Katana 170 uses 600 feet average to open. Isn't interesting to have a device you can download the data.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

If I ever need it, and it saves me...I'll love it... If it ever screws me...I'll hate it . aad is just one software upgrade or one new model away from having a problem.

After gaining confidence in the Argus AAD I then began installation. As I got close to the container pop went the cutter. Cutter fired and I have yet to regain confidence in the Argus. referring to your post "if it screws with me..." Vigil cutter issues have been less rewarding to deal with. As a rigger I will service gear with/without a Cypres AAD only. Have had enough issues with aad's to make a choice. I choose Cypres.

After gaining confidence in the Argus AAD I then began installation. As I got close to the container pop went the cutter. Cutter fired and I have yet to regain confidence in the Argus.

I would like to add that this incident occured in April 2006 All these units (43) have immediately been recalled.

Warm regards,
William

I have an Argus, and like most here think it's been great so far...though I've never actually had to call on it to save my ass (and hopefully never will).

For the record, what I like about it:

1) Tough casing. I feel confident that the main unit isn't going to break apart.

2) Replaceable batteries. Sure, if you're not a rigger, you can't change them out yourself...but taking it to your rigger for a repack & battery change sure beats sending it in to Airtec X number of times.

3) Multi-mode = keeps my options open. Not that I plan to be swooping anytime in the next year, but it's nice to plan for future possibilities (and it broadens resale options, too).

4) Support. As you can see from this forum, the manufacturer is pretty darn responsive. When I first got mine, it had a battery issue (it went through batteries too quickly - to the tune of burning through a set in a few days). They immediately (and quickly replaced it, with very little hassle for me.

Overall, I've been very impressed with them so far. I like the convenience over Cypres, and the support over Vigil (not that I've dealt directly with Vigil support - I've just been less-than-impressed with how they've publicly addressed misfires, etc).

Just my $.02...
Signatures are the new black.

2) Replaceable batteries. Sure, if you're not a rigger, you can't change them out yourself...but taking it to your rigger for a repack & battery change sure beats sending it in to Airtec X number of times.

Your rigger can also change CYPRES batteries during a repack, so it only needs to go back to Airtec twice (4 year and 8 year checks). Granted, it's inconvenient and expensive for folks with lots of rigs (like me), but for the average Joe I wouldn't worry about it.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I would recommend you to buy a Vigil II which is more tested than the Argus and way more advanced than the Cypres and more user's friendly. I personnally had a Vigil I and got 2 firings when needed and can tell you that it worked as designed.

How much can we trust someone who already had twice, his back up device saving his life ? and looks proud of it !
how much reliable do you think you are ?
For me it looks you are not in a position to give any advices to anyone, except maybe to the guy in charge of the fatality life

Having the Vigil interface allowed me to download the data and see my jump graphs and determine that my former Sabre II-170 was opening on 340 feet vertical distance average. Now with my Vigil II download I can tell you that my Katana 170 uses 600 feet average to open. Isn't interesting to have a device you can download the data.

does the Vigil III makes a coffee while you download the data ? THAT would be an improvement.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I would highly recommend Argus.

They are the most thoroughly tested AADs we have seen to date. As a result Atair has changed all our rigs to Argus AADs.

And btw we are not sponsored to say so...

Regards,
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

I am certainly more reliable than somebody who is financially connected with an AAD manufacturer, somebody who doesn't respect his contract (2 years ago) and who has already used several different user's names ( Robert Henry, Papaflyer and Henryrobert) on this forum (which is against this forum rules and ethic) to bash on Vigil. Didn't you know that when changing your user's name you still have the same IP adress? Didn't you know that your writing style has been seen under different user's names with the same mistakes ? On the other hand, I have fully explained in great details the circumstances under which the two firings of my AAD occurred in this forum. But you obviously didn't read my posts about that. Your logic seems to be the same; after bashing on Vigil you bash on people who recommend Vigil. This forum is to share experience and knowledge and this is what I am doing. You seem more busy to do your homework for your sponsor than really participating and sharing. It's hard to believe that a person of your experience plays such a game. My French contacts were right when I met them last March in Florida, you have changed beyong all recognition. Trying to be more positive and constructive will make you what you were before.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.