Nicknero1405

AFF Student, Spinning problems

Hello Dropzone users,
I'm a new user here, as well as a new Skydiver. I've never done Skydiving before up until a couple of weeks ago where I got a Tandem jump as my 24th birthday present. I liked it so much that only 2 weeks after that I started my AFF course here in The Netherlands.

Currently I've done 5 jumps up to level 5. My posture wasn't that great though, and in level 4 and 5 I got into a spin which I couldn't get out of. I still had altitude check and pulled the chute myself at the right altitude, which is probably the reason they let me pass the levels regardless. They gave me the advice to practice my Arch posture in a wind tunnel though, and that is what I did.
I've read many threads and reports from others that a wind tunnel has done them miracles. And I can truly vouch for that. In my opinion, it went super well! Although I wasn't as stable as the instructors (obviously), I still had full control over my rotation and I learned a lot during my 10 sessions in the wind tunnel.

Now I still have to do my level 6 and 7 jumps. (Weather is disappointing in the weekend the last week). And I'm looking for perhaps more tips from more experienced skydivers what I should work on to make my stability even better. Because although I had full control over my rotation, I was still rocking back and forth quite a lot in the wind tunnel. And I'm afraid that this might be a problem for more advanced jumps.

As helpful addition, here I included the videos of my AFF jumps as well as 7 out of 10 of my wind tunnel sessions (I lost the other 3 because I copied over the wrong files when I left the place, derp.)

AFF Level 5: (Major spinning problem)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBBGDlhhXWs

Wind tunnel practicing posture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS2AcVoYnqs

First answer is shut up and jump. You can't learn this in 5 jumps or off the internet.

Advice here is like used chewing gum in the street, you don't know where it's been, who it's from and it's not much use.

That being said I had a spin when I started in 1980 that no one could diagnose. Finally figured out that I needed to put my head back. Harder then with a motorcycle helmet and 40 lbs rig.;) IF you want some advise try putting your head back, which is part of the arch, and look at the horizon instead of the ground. It will lead your back into a better arch.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Looks like you're jumping at paracentrum Teuge. Is that ''opa'' you are jumping with?
Anyway. I am in no position to give advice here but I will anyway. What they thought me during AFF when I was turning or spinning was ABC.
First thing is to arch more.
Then Legs (Benen in dutch): are they symmatrical?
Then Correction with your arms.
First two always did the trick for me. Arching more and being aware of your legs, maybe tapping them together to know they are symmetrical.

Yes, I indeed jump at Teuge. And no, my main instructor for level 1-5 was Marijn. And second instructor for level 1-2 was Peter and level 3 Bob.

Anyway, when I look at my own videos for a thousandth time, I think it was just a combination of not enough Arching. And panicking during the uncontrollable spin, causing my body to be stiff, which caused it to be even worse.
Heck, during that second spin after the instructor let me go again at level 5, my spin became so fast that it pulled my arms and legs all the way out due to the centrifugal force.

But tapping your toes to make sure your legs are symmetrical seems like a decent idea. I'll consult my instructor about it when I can finally finish my AFF, which will hopefully be next weekend.

panicking during the uncontrollable spin, causing my body to be stiff, which caused it to be even worse

This. "Don't do it!! Relax, have fun. It's all about living!! :)
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Now I still have to do my level 6 and 7 jumps. (Weather is disappointing in the weekend the last week). And I'm looking for perhaps more tips from more experienced skydivers what I should work on to make my stability even better. Because although I had full control over my rotation, I was still rocking back and forth quite a lot in the wind tunnel. And I'm afraid that this might be a problem for more advanced jumps.

Some things just come with more jumps and the experience that those jumps bring. One day you are not very good, and a few jumps later you are a lot better without anything involved but more practice.

Most everyone wants to do well and be ahead of the curve. I try hard to be an "A" student on safety and procedures and have settled for being a "C" student (average) on the finer skills. I still have fun and try not to put too much performance pressure on myself.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Nicknero1405

I still had full control over my rotation and I learned a lot during my 10 sessions in the wind tunnel.

I was still rocking back and forth quite a lot in the wind tunnel.

You've got control now. Relax. It's like riding a bicycle. Now you know how to do it. Have fun on your next jump.

The rocking back and forth? Relax a little and let your chest sink into freefall. Rocking usually comes from too much pressure downward with the hands and trying to sit up in freefall.

Hello again guys.
It has been a couple of weeks now, but I finally got a chance to do my AFF level 6 and 7. And load and behold, I too can say that the wind tunnel has done miracles.
I've completed my AFF and passed as a student. So now I am officially licensed to jump myself, and of course I already did my very first solo jump that same day. (Which was yesterday btw.)

Everyone, thanks for your advice and support. And for those who are going through the same problems as I did: Good luck to you! I'm sure you will do just fine eventually. It all takes practice. ^^

If anyone is curious to see my progression, I've made a single video with all of my jumps together. Now I'm off to jump MANY MANY MANY times to eventually become better in free fall. ^^ We'll see where the road brings us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwitVP3j_BE

I agree. If you have the time and money, go to the wind tunnel and learn the flying basics. When you go up on your first jump you will be fully occupied with the plane ride, getting out the door and keeping a check on altitude and lots of other things. If you can sort out how to fly a good neutral position in the tunnel, it will give you loads of confidence and one less thing to think about in freefall.
Oil Gas Safety Council values the contribution Safety Professionals make to achieve the vision of accident free and safer workplace.
http://ogsc.org/