JohnRich

Identify these Ducks!

Okay, I know this is a weird request. But I'm always amazed at the wide diversity of life experiences amongst the members here, and the vast range of knowledge on different subjects. So I thought I would give this a try.

Skydive Houston has a small group of ducks that live on the grounds. They seem to come out in the late afternoon and fly around in a small group. I love to holler out "Duck!" and watch everyone duck their heads, thinking they're about to be hit by some low canopy swooper, only to realize I'm talking about waterfowl. Yeah, that's kinda cruel, but what the heck.

Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone can identify what type of ducks these are. I did some internet research, and couldn't find a duck picture that looks like these. Any quacker experts out there?

Photos attached. The pictures are kind of small, but that's as close as I could get, and I don't have much zoom on my camera. The first photo has one perched on a post, and one on the ground. The second photo shows them in-flight, where a distinctive white stripe shows up on their wings.

Those are black bellied whistling ducks.

You can read more about them HERE
:)

So are you going to bill John for your services?

Hmmm. . . :D Nah, i might need some ballistics data one day and i don't want him to charge me for it.;):D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Have you ever noticed that ducks fly in a v shape and sometimes one side is longer than the other? Do you know why that is?.................

Cause i'm slow and i didn't get my shotgun up till they were almost gone?:D:P

More ducks.

Are they for sale? :|

Um, sure. Just pay me $20 and I'll let you try and catch them.

I wasn't serious, but no one got it! Wingnut! Get yer ass in here! :D

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

What's with the sign that says "No Alcohol on Drop Zone" WTF???

That's to keep the whuffo's from drinking in the spectator area.

It only applies while flight operations are in progress, of course. After the last load, we break out the drinks as fast as anyone.

By gosh, you've done it! Thanks for that I.D. Now I'm going to have to pay more attention and see if I can hear them whistle.

So, where does your duck expertise come from?

Thanks!

You're welcome. I wouldn't call it expertise, i took several wildlife management classes in my college years. I actually had to teach wildlife identification to high school ag students.:D

i took several wildlife management classes in my college years. I actually had to teach wildlife identification to high school ag students.:D

Cool. All that college edurcasion finally paid off! :D

Unrelated question: What's with the thumbnail pictures used by you and Fireflytx? They are very similar 60's-type "troll" dolls, with yours in blue and hers in pink. Is that intentional, or coincidence. (Image attached)

Um, sure. Just pay me $20 and I'll let you try and catch them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't serious, but no one got it!

Dont worry... We got it... We just dont want to encourage him! :P
Remster