dynamicedge

S Fold question...

My Sabre 2 is still new and still very slippery and I'm still a noob. This is difficult to explain but I find it easier to put the canopy in the dbag when I S fold the canopy in the actual shape of an S with the lines comin out of the very bottom fold. Doing the standard fold with that initial upward fold where the lines are above the very bottom fold, always gets away from me when i try to put it in the bag. I havn't jumped this method yet and was wondering if this way is ok or not ok? If you have no idea what i'm talking about, no worries. Thanks for any input.

I can't visualize what you're talking about yet, but I'm here to offer moral support.

I have a 170 Lotus, which I am told is like a Big Air version of the Sabre 2. I still have a tough time getting it into its D-bag. [:/]

I'm better than I was, but not as good as I hope to someday be. Hopefully by that time I'll be jumping a 150 and it'll be easier on me anyway.

Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

If I understand you correctly, that's pretty much how I pack but then I put the last fold (slider and lines etc) into the bottom fold of the "S" when the canopy is in the bag, just before I close it up.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

yup that's exactly what i was talkin about. I'll try tucking it in at the end like you, but i was just wondering if that type of fold is completely necessary. thanks for the input.

At that stage, any method that gets it in the bag without tying it in a knot is fine.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I had a new Tri 190, and was a right slippery sod to get in the bag, then my CCI showed me a method which made it a doddle.

S fold the top of the canopy, back on itself and then get that in the bag with the bottom (i.e. Lines) still out of it, then stand the bag up and S fold the bottom (with lines) into the middle of the bag in between the existing folds.

basically ends up the same as S folding the lot but a hell of a lot easier for a new canopy.

Chris

My Sabre 2 is still new and still very slippery and I'm still a noob. This is difficult to explain but I find it easier to put the canopy in the dbag when I S fold the canopy in the actual shape of an S with the lines comin out of the very bottom fold. Doing the standard fold with that initial upward fold where the lines are above the very bottom fold, always gets away from me when i try to put it in the bag. I havn't jumped this method yet and was wondering if this way is ok or not ok? If you have no idea what i'm talking about, no worries. Thanks for any input.

Sure. I've packed my Samurai 105 that way for ~300 jumps. It works well for canopies that are either slippery or small so the folds end up short and harder to control

I learned to pack from my rigger. He has been around for years and is probably the best (he says he is second best because the guy who taught him everything is still alive...).

When folding the canopy I put both knees over the label on the tail. I hold the package together hold it up nice and tight. I then roll it a bit and I bring my knees out and fold it over the lable. Lines are on the floor and the canopy makes a kind of "s" from there. Then stick it all in the bag.

I don't know if this makes sense...

I have a hard time getting my canopy in the bag so i am going to try the psycho pack. So far this has been very easy to get it in the bag.

Don't worry about the way you do since I made almost 400 jumps on my Sabre 2 using the same method (without the little initial fold near the lines) actually I was doing it more or less at the very end by tucking the material near the lines slightly inside the folded canopy. But remember, comb the lines upward before closing the deployment bag to make sure the slider is still again the stoppers. Just a slight slip of the slider away from the stoppers will likely make you to have a hard opening. You can also do the 3 folds and bag the canopy in the deployment bag while laying on it. That keeps the canopy compressed and you have your 2 hands free to control the volume of the canopy and still able to bag one side then the other side without any frustration.;)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Very interesting method to pack a parachute, certainly a very fast one. I am just concerned about the fact that this method probably makes the lines spread out when they should stay as much as possible in the middle of the pack. Just twisting the 2 parts of the tail along the entire length makes the lines getting spread. According PD people you should twist the 2 parts of the tail (set up around the canopy) for about 12-15 inches only otherwise you start speading the lines. You should twist the 2 parts of the tail by 180 degrees 3 times only for the same reason.
I know time is money but canopies are expensive and we should find the right balance between packing time and keeping the canopies in good condition.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

What you seen is the combination os wollmary pack and reverse S-folding.

Just twisting the 2 parts of the tail along the entire length makes the lines getting spread.

If you talking about folding the tail over the back of the canopy instead of folding under the nose that is called wollmary pack.

I know time is money but canopies are expensive and we should find the right balance between packing time and keeping the canopies in good condition.

Well, packing is something like a religion. you do not have to believe in mine, although got one canopy 400 packed this way without a line-over or significant wear.

This is an easy way to do it:Revese S-fold.

I thought it was really cool to see the pull-up cord line stow method. I've seen people use one to replace a stow band, but not to stow the lines. Very cool trick!

I'm going to try that this weekend - might save a sore fingertip or two!
T.I.N.S.