marcandalysse

Six Flags celebrates last Gasp

From ajc.com (atlanta paper) Published on: 08/11/2005
THE GREAT GASP, Six Flags' looming parachute ride for nearly 30 years, is getting the ax. While the park is mum on why, and what will take the place of the I-20 icon, it is saying a formal goodbye this weekend.

On Saturday and Sunday, all Gasp riders will receive a special collector's button commemorating the ride's final run. It features the Great Gasp's original startled smiley face logo and the dates. After closing time on Sunday night, the Gasp drops no more.

Since its inception in 1976, a reported 15 million riders have taken its plunge. "The purpose of this weekend's event is to make people aware the Gasp is going away," says park spokesman Jim Taylor. "And to give them the chance to say goodbye."

Taylor adds that while the Great Gasp may not be one of the park's top attractions these days, that's not necessarily the reason it's being removed. And there's nothing wrong with it, he adds.

"It's served us well," he says. "We're telling our guests to simply stay tuned to our Web site for any news."

The Great Gasp now joins a roster of Six Flags attractions that have been put out to pasture.

Anyone have fond memories of this parachute ride?
There was one at Riverview Park in Chicago, you could see it for miles away, like when driving down the highway.
The park closed down before I grew old enough (and less scared of it) to ride it.

marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

I remember the one at Knotts too! I was so scared. My grandpa took me up on it and I was wearing this little bell shaped skirt and when we dropped I clung to his hand and my skirt filled up with air to make a pretty little bell. He laughed and laughed and that made me laugh and then I wasn't afraid anymore and I think I made him take me on it every time we went there after.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

I just checked out the Knotts website. They added the "Roaring 20's" area in '75, which is where the ride is. "Roaring 20's" is now called "Boardwalk" and still has the ride, but may only have the Skycabin, this rotating thing, but may not have the parachute drop cages (from what I can tell from the website, the structure is still there, but the parachute ride not mentioned).

Growing up in N. Texas I have visited Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington (the only REAL Six Flags park) many times in my life and have many memories of riding that ride as a kid. I thought it was the coolest thing, I loved parachutes and loved that ride (almost as much as the Mine Train), but I guess all things come to an end. I was at Six Flags just a few months ago and didn't ride it, instead we went out of our way to ride the Titan more then a handful of times.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Growing up in N. Texas I have visited Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington (the only REAL Six Flags park) many times in my life and have many memories of riding that ride as a kid.

I grew up about 2 miles from that Six Flags. My brothers and I always rode that ride because it was freakin HOT and it dried off all your sweat real quick. There was never a long line. But if you got in the line for the sit-down version, you were a dweeb. :ph34r:

When I was a kid and going to Six Flags, I would see the Great Gasp on our way to the park and get so excited! My brother hated the ride though but he got stuck at the top for four hours once. I loved it though! I'm going to miss it. :(
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

But if you got in the line for the sit-down version, you were a dweeb. :ph34r:

The last time I rode it was over 25 years ago. Me an another dweeb:D rode the sit down version, it went to the top, dropped less than 10 feet...and hung up. Student in tow! Alarm bells were goin off, we were up there for 15 -20 minutes..... we were the center of attention Pretty cool view too!

*** From ajc.com (atlanta paper) Published on: 08/11/2005
THE GREAT GASP, Six Flags' looming parachute ride for nearly 30 years,

Is that fun to ride? There is a similar one at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey. It's only a hundred or so feet high, not that fun. Your picture makes it look higher than GA's.

Now Kingda Ka......that's a fun ride. I waited 3 and a half hours for the front car, a 50 second ride........AND I WOULD DO IT AGAIN!!!