RickNC

Dye a container?

The quick answer, than I will state more forcefully than comes through in the above linked thread is "don't do it". You can replace stuff that is worn, but don't dye any part of your harness and container system. Most riggers won't pack it if you do.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Thanks for the questions! and link to other thread.. was wondering this myself as I have recntly purchsd a container that wasnt the "dream container" cuz of funds. Was thinkin about chanin' some things.. but looks like Im stuck with "wearin ugly" ha ha ha ha LOL blue skies!
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

A guy of my DZ once had dyed his container. The original color was white and since it was all dirty he decided to change it in black.
I got an impression that it wasn't that simple since the dying process involves chemicals which are very often acidic. I told him that we should do an acid test at least on the harness. The rig was a Racer and I had consulted John Sherman about dying rigs. John wrote to me that his most concern was the harness since that part of the rig is subject to a lot of force at the deployment of the canopy. The bromothymol blue testing turned to green which indicated that the harness was slightly acidic. Therefore I would not recommend any dying on a rig unless it is made with an acidless process. I don't really know if that exists. Any chemists in this forum?
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I told him that we should do an acid test at least on the harness. The rig was a Racer and I had consulted John Sherman about dying rigs. John wrote to me that his most concern was the harness since that part of the rig is subject to a lot of force at the deployment of the canopy.

And as John has been known to say! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~