cfdflyer

do's and don't of selling stuff on dropzone.com

My tip:
Please remove ads and/or respond to purchase offers if the gear is no longer for sale. Most people have been courteous enough to do this.

This person posted separate ads on 9/10 for reserve, main, altimeter, and helmet, but has not logged in since then (now 9/15). No email address or other contact method was given. I offered to buy the reserve hours after it was posted, and was interested in the main, too. While waiting for a response, I lost out on a good deal for a complete rig.

My tip:
Please remove ads and/or respond to purchase offers if the gear is no longer for sale. Most people have been courteous enough to do this.

This person posted separate ads on 9/10 for reserve, main, altimeter, and helmet, but has not logged in since then (now 9/15). No email address or other contact method was given. I offered to buy the reserve hours after it was posted, and was interested in the main, too. While waiting for a response, I lost out on a good deal for a complete rig.

moot point. People who take days to respond are the ones who don't read these forums.

also, the way I understand is the "login date" is the FORUM login. You can post and edit classifieds without that date changing.

But yeah, if you are a once a few days email checker - put your phone number in the ad.

best of luck to all.
Anybody got a Sabre(1 or 2) 170 for sale ? :)

moot point. People who take days to respond are the ones who don't read these forums.

Anybody got a Sabre(1 or 2) 170 for sale ? :)

I'm sure you're right. They don't seem to have followed any of the advice given here.

A Sabre 170 was just posted. Good luck.

ok, this one really gets me.

THIS IS NOT FUCKING EBAY !

When you post your ad - post a price, or post "MAKE OFFER".

When you post an ad with a price of $1000 , I expect to buy it for $1000, not get an email back saying "I am giving it three days, whoever offers me the most over $1000 will get it". BULLSHIT, use eBay to run auctions.

/rant over.

Bumping this to add a definite "Don't." I've pulled out the identifying details because my point is not to shame an individual seller (because this is hardly the only example I've seen), but to point out how a poorly written ad might make it a bit more difficult to sell your gear.

[inline hownottowriteanad.jpg]

When I sell stuff, the last thing I want to do is to deal with a bunch of questions about information that could easily have been included in the ad (of course you always do get questions from the folks that can't be bothered to read, but that's another pet peeve). But it would seem important to share what kind of container it is, what type/size canopies are in there, whether there's an AAD, you know, little things that tell me a little more than "it's great and a rigger owned it!" Especially since the ad does indicate some level of urgency for the seller. :S

I guess I don't get it... the classified system on here makes it really easy to include all the relevant information by prompting the user for all the details. If you can't even be bothered to select a couple drop-downs, I'm not sure I'd want to get into a multi-thousand dollar transaction with you...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke