ACMESkydiver

What kind of jump did you do first?

Ditto... I had to come here to find out I could actually do something after tandems

I hate to hear that. That just shows how some DZ's do not care for their students.

I always explained what I could and if I was pressed for time I gave my students the DZ website to learn more about what the next step would be.

There are some instructors out there who really try to help their students though and are not concerned about money only.

Just my take.

Laters,

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Static line - My Wife gave me the first jump course as a 38 year birthday present. She thought that when I'd tried it then that was it. Not so.
If she'd given me at tandem then I might have stayed out of skydiving because of the cost of the FJC.
One good thing though: It has kept me out of hanggliding - so far ;)
Never tried the tandem. Or the military for that matter.

The only reason the military is rough; because they make a whole day affair for one single jump.

An average military jump takes around 6 Hours.

Of course we go through briefs and Basic Airborne Refresher (B.A.R.) Basically every time we jump we go through handling hazards and what to do for each situation. Landing. Doing P.L.F.'s.

I still enjoy military jumping even though I recently cracked my femur.

we jump in winds that I usually do not jump in with the sport. Hey, That is the ARMY for ya. Then they wonder why people get hurt. :S

Laters,

K

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

my first one was static line. It was in 1995, I was in the first plane load. My chute came out and I had a line over. I cut away and opened a round reserve(at that time the dz I jumped at were currently switching all of the reserves to square but I got lucky) landed it safely and on target and couldn't wait to do another one. the reason why I chose static line was the fact that I just didn't want to do a skydive, I wanted to learn how to skydive.

The only reason the military is rough; because they make a whole day affair for one single jump.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hah!
The US Army is getting soft!
Back when I went through Canadian Army Airborne S/L training (Basic Para Course 8102) - we trained on the ground for two weeks before we ever got near an airplane. After two days of jumping we graduated.

I did an AFF L-1 in 1998 when I was 18, then did another one in 2004 when I could actually afford to keep skydiving. I've never been on a tandem yet.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

My first jump was static line which wasn't too scary because I didn't knowwhat the hell I was getting into.

S/L progression #5 was the scariest because it was just me and a ripcord, no S/L anymore.

NO SHIT!!!!!!!
Mine was my first 5 sec delay.....
I pulled so fast my JM said it was the perfect clear and pull then laughed and signed me off for my next jump......
There is nothing like making that first jump from 3000 with out the dope rope.....:D:D
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

My first jump was static line which wasn't too scary because I didn't knowwhat the hell I was getting into.

S/L progression #5 was the scariest because it was just me and a ripcord, no S/L anymore.

NO SHIT!!!!!!!
Mine was my first 5 sec delay.....
I pulled so fast my JM said it was the perfect clear and pull then laughed and signed me off for my next jump......
There is nothing like making that first jump from 3000 with out the dope rope.....:D:D

My first clear and pull was like this...

Sweaty palms, nervous. Holding breath. ACME does the sign of the cross, not noticing that a TM is watching.

"Are you Catholic?" :)
"Uh-huh." :| I reply.

"Good, that'll help!" ;)

:o
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

My first clear and pull was like this...

Sweaty palms, nervous. Holding breath. ACME does the sign of the cross, not noticing that a TM is watching.

"Are you Catholic?" he asks.

"Uh-huh." I reply.

"Good, that'll help!"

LMAO....
Hell, I still do the same thing :D:D
It's funny how religious I become until we are above 1000' :D

I just remembered....
Y'all should have seen me on my first jump. I had to sit by the door in our left hand door 206, when they opened the door I almost climbed into the pilots lap....:$:D:D
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

My first jump was AFF, off the Cessna 206 in April of 2001.

I happen to have my logbook right here, it says:

-Good climbout and count
-Dearched on exit
-COA
-3PRCP's
-Pulled @5500
-Off airport landing good
(more arch from hips)
-Cleared to AFF LII

I wanted nothing to do with tandem, and did my first one to get my instructor rating, and then did one recently with a friend who was getting her rating, and hadn't jumped with anybody heavy.

Having no handles makes me nervous.

My first two jumps were tandems.
(umm... that should read: my only jumps so far)
I'm glad that I started with tandems because my first jump was so overwhelming that my altitude awareness completely sucked. Second jump was much better, and now I feel sooooo ready for AFF! (just waiting for my wallet to feel ready, too)

blue skies!

I wanted nothing to do with tandem, and did my first one to get my instructor rating, and then did one recently with a friend who was getting her rating, and hadn't jumped with anybody heavy.

Having no handles makes me nervous.

Try one on which the candidate blocks both drogue releases with his hands while pulling neither. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Which was it and why?

I did static line. At the time, our DZ only had tandem or S/L, and my husband wouldn't let me do a tandem. :P

So what was yours? Why did you do it? And no I won't call you a wussy if you did a tandem first. I will just know that I am superior because I wasn't a-skeered to do it all by myself! :):ph34r: (To date I have still have never got to do a tandem.)

-And if you did military first, vote twice; once for that, & once for how you entered the 'sport' skydiving world...:)
PS -anyone else out there never been on a tandem jump?

Tandem, then two static lines and nearly had a fatality on the second. I wasnt on a reputable dropzone at the time, but it was a lot cheaper.

You get what you pay for.B|