ACMESkydiver

What kind of jump did you do first?

I started on static line. In the ancient days in distant galaxies it was the only way to go.

Never been on a tandem, but will probably give it a try when I'm too old to do it on my own anymore.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

AFF 1

I didn't know about tandem progression and figured if I was going to spend the money I'd rather spend it so I could continue with it if I liked it.... well, I like it!!!B|

Static line,then to AFF. First jump went great but landing sucked. Because of winds they radioed me to land in a bean field,wellIflared when my feet touched the 'ground' which I didn'nt was actually the top of the plants & the ground was really abuot 3-4 feet lower.left up on toggles & got slammed on me tailbone.pretty dazed then got dragged about 20 ft. before I ciould collapse the canopy. Man that hurt!
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

I went with a group of ppl that I waited tables with.. We showed up at the DZ at 8:00 AM and I did my 1st tandem with my buddy Lyle, and I was hooked from there on out!! I ended up spending all of my rent $$ on my next 2 jumps!! It was awesome! My roomie and I hung out and partied until midnight with everyone! 2 weeks after that I worked there and 2 weeks later I was off AFF! So began my skydiving life!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be the change you wish to see in the world!

I did a static line cos i thought that it would work out cheaper!!
I then transferred to AFF.

Nope, i have never done a tandem. Don't quite understand why you would want to waste money on a tandem before AFF. Why not just do the level 1 THEN suck it and see
RED LIGHTS & OFF LANDINGS ARE JUST MY THANG
http://www.redlightrob.co.uk

Don't quite understand why you would want to waste money on a tandem before AFF. Why not just do the level 1 THEN suck it and see

Wow . . . that's the easiest question EVER to answer. :D

Most people don't think, "Hey, I want to start skydiving." They think, "Hey, I want to do a skydive."

And once I did my tandem, I could do tandem progression from there. Never mind the fact that I was FREAKIN' TERRIFIED of jumping on my own. I mean, TERRIFIED. :D

My first jump was a static line. The DZ offered tandems, but that just didn't appeal to me. I was only going to jump once and I wanted to be by myself.

My first tandem was when I was getting my TI rating. Andy Farrington was in the back. I knew he had way more jumps that me, but having a 19 year old in charge still scared the hell out of me. I've since done a few more tandems on the front side, and a couple in back too. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Started with AFF. Went to the first ever meeting of my university's skydiving club, learned about AFF and tandem (i had never even heard of AFF before that). Decided I'd probably like it and wanted more than just a ride, so I went for it.

Finally did a tandem at jump #135 (new instructor not yet rated...his 7th tandem). Also did a couple IAD jumps when I had around 300 jumps or something to get a couple instructors current. That's some scary stuff! :P I don't think I have the balls to ever try a static line jump (not that I've ever even seen one done in person). Shoulda been outlawed years ago... :P

Dave

Dave

I was on the same lift as my friend who I'd talked into doing a S/L jump, his mum and dad were watching, it wasn't until I seen his exit that I got scared, my head was outa that door sharpish, once I seen his canopy open, I felt a bit better.

Sure that they wouldn't have forgiven me:D
RED LIGHTS & OFF LANDINGS ARE JUST MY THANG
http://www.redlightrob.co.uk

Don't quite understand why you would want to waste money on a tandem before AFF.

Most people don't think, "Hey, I want to start skydiving." They think, "Hey, I want to do a skydive."

FREAKIN' TERRIFIED of jumping on my own. I mean, TERRIFIED.

I will add to what Kelly said here. Many people are not 100% sure they want to come into the sport. Under that rationale why would anyone want to spend 6-8 hrs in a classroom get up to altitude and not be able to jump? I always suggest that a student does a tandem first to get comfortable with the door and all that goes on. Not to mention it is only 20-min class.

The sport is expensive as it is so one tandem to start is not really putting you that much more out. I know I have spent more than $200 on a night out in town. :ph34r:

I personally went Static-Line because it is what the dz I was at then could do easily. I went with another perosn but they could never do the second jump. Weather made it difficult for me to jump.

I will say that S/L will definitely build your confidence and prepare you for exiting a plane. I hated crawling out on that strut to hang.

I would not change anything though because I have had many good years in the sport and met some really fun people. I am going to return to instructing myself. I enjoy bringing the sport to others. :)

Laters,

K

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

I did a tandem in June 1993 because it took a lot of cajoling by a friend to even try it once. "If you don't like it, just walk away" pretty much sold me. So I tried a tandem. After that, went straight into the S/L progression... and the rest is history. And yes, I still remember most of that first jump. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Andy Farrington was in the back.

Hey I know that guy! :P

He doesn't know me though...I think I've only seen him twice, and I know for certain he would never remember me. :ph34r: That's GOOD in my book; I did nothing memorable thank God....anything ACME has ever done skyjumping that could be considered 'memorable' was not a good thing...B|:S:P
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

PS -anyone else out there never been on a tandem jump

650+ jumps and no tandems for me............ i learned static line... back in the day were you could be a non liscenced skydiver and also not considered a student...

tandem ==> tandem ==> static line

why? because nobody at the first two dropzones clued me into the student program. i didn't know i had options. tecumseh was great about that. as soon as they found out i had already done two tandems, they told me to screw it and do static line. i'm very thankful for that.

now i make a point to talk to students after their tandems and explain the programs to them. there is nothing worse than a tandem factory.