jumpflorida

MT-1XCCT

I picked up a military rig that has become a bit of a mystery to me. I thought that I was familiar with most of the MFF rigs in use... until now.

It has all the parts (i.e. ricords, pilot chutes, free-bag, cutaway handle). I did a search of the canopy drawing number and discovered that both canopies are the MT-1S 5 cell variant. I have been unable to locate a TM for any MT-1 series container (except the MC-5) or the MT-1S canopy, even though so many variants were manufactured (MT-1XX, MT-1XS, MT-1SS, etc.)

i've also never seen a MC/MT series container with a "free-fly" leg "mod". According to the data stamp it is TSO certified, which will save any debate questions later in the game, but other riggers. My master rigger, who is very familiar with the series, has stated that it is all airworthy and that he would jump it.

I guess I'm trying to find out if these two canopies belong with this container, and if anyone can send me a TM. Hopefully LouDiamond, SkymonkeyONE, and/or another MFFJM will find their way into this discussion.

Thanks in advance.

both canopies are the MT-1S 5 cell variant

I believe you have the reserve canopies, as there used to be a configuration where the main was a 7 cell and the reserve was a 5 cell. I will see if I can dig up the TMs on it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yes, referencing the attachment document, the "S" canopy variant came in both 5 cell and 7 cell configurations, which could be used as mains or reserves; the SS & XS combinations could both have had the 5 cell reserves.

Based on the condition of the two canopies I am guessing that they were both reserves. The lines are still bright white, but have been cut; on that note, does anyone have a couple sets of complete suspension and control lines for the MT-1S?

Another bit of info that might be helpful... I suspected that this came from the Air Force because of the "PJ" stenciling on the canopies; The master rigger who looked at the container told me that it is an Air Force rig, thus backing up my suspicion. Can anyone confirm that the MT-1XCCT is Air Force?

Since I still have my AKO email I will try to contact Paraflite directly to find out how this thing is supposed to be configured.

I forgot to mention that I do believe it to be an AF rig for the simple fact that it has the "G" strap and equipment ring between the leg straps. To the best of my knowledge (and others) none of the Army rigs were used in that configuration.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yeah, AF rig likely based on the configuration and the CCT model...plus what looks like a local control number, "PJ-20", on the canopy. I thought the 5 cell 270 sq ft reserve in the MT-1X or S was not being much as a reserve (or main) by the early 90s in the AF...as most units went to the 7 cell 370 sq ft canopy for the main and reserve by then (MT-1XX). I could be wrong...

I have three of them. (MT1-XCCT)

Great for water rigs as you can fit a PC, Cheapo or Delta II Parawing in them. I put BOCs on them which is nice for the newer jumpers.

I also have a copy of the TM 10-1670-288-23&P, and T.O. 14B-1-2-465-2

The TM covers the MT1-XX, MT1-XR and MT1-XCCT

The XX has 7 cells in the main and reserve (370 Sq Ft MT1-X), the XR and XCCT have 7 cell mains and 5 cell MT1-S reserves (270 sq ft)

I called Para-Flite when I first “acquired” them and they were less that thrilled with me jumping them. I think I remember they said they had line sets for them but I just made my own as the TM had all the trim specs for them. If you have the 5 cells the line set P/N is 811332 and control line set P/N is 811336 (Para-Flite Part Numbers)

I also received FAA approval for a Cypres installation in them, but I believe since then (1998) Airtec has also come out with installation instructions.

They are Air Force rigs.
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division

I called Para-Flite when I first “acquired” them and they were less that thrilled with me jumping them.

Why? Why does that matter? I assume the gear is TSOed, does it have to do with their contracts with the government?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I called Para-Flite when I first “acquired” them and they were less that thrilled with me jumping them.

Why? Why does that matter? I assume the gear is TSOed, does it have to do with their contracts with the government?

This is a memo from Para Flite concerning civililian use of their MT-1 series of canopies.

[Quote]
MEMO
To: PFI Customers
Cc: Sales Department
Date: December 2003
Re: MT-1 Series Canopies
Dear Customer,
The MT-1 series of gliding tactical parachute systems were specifically designed and engineered for tactical military application, including conventional military freefall (HALO) and stand-off (HAHO) operations. Para-Flite, Inc. does not recommend the use of these canopies in the civilian sport parachuting community. Designing and engineering a canopy for tactical military operational environment is a process which does not take into account considerations for a sport skydiving environment. They are sold exclusively to U.S. and foreign military defense organizations. After these canopies are “retired” from service with any military organization, Para-Flite, Inc. cannot “police” their potential use in the sport community. It is necessary, for individuals considering “after market” use of such canopies, to understand why they were “retired” or “de-militarized”, such as:
The canopies have reached or exceeded their organization’s determined “self/service” life.

The canopies have exceeded their organization’s determined porosity reading.

The canopies are obsolete and ore no longer authorized for use or logistically supported.

The canopies have exceeded their operational limitations due to excessive exposure to water or other environmental effect, or have been subject to excessive damage and subsequent repair so as to question structural integrity.

Once canopies are demilitarized, due to any one or combination of these factors, it is impossible to trace their maintenance history. It is with this reasoning in mind that Para-Flite, Inc. recommends to anyone considering the use of these canopies, under the provisions of FAR Part 105, Subpart C, Section 105.43.D.2, to proceed with caution and at their own risk.***
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hi Dave,

I assume the gear is TSOed,

Maybe, maybe not; the military is not controlled by the FAA.

If the gear has any marking indicating TSO compliance ( which I doubt it would ) then it has been TSO'd. It all comes down to how the gear is marked.

A typical letter from the FAA giving TSO-authorization usually just says that you are now allowed to mark the gear in accordance with the TSO. Oh, the letter says some other bureaucratic stuff but that is the part a mfr is looking for. At that point the mfr is good to go.

HTH,

JerryBaumchen

I assume the gear is TSOed,

Maybe, maybe not; the military is not controlled by the FAA.

If the gear has any marking indicating TSO compliance ( which I doubt it would ) then it has been TSO'd. It all comes down to how the gear is marked.

The gear is TSO'd; refer to the attachment labeled data tag in the original post. It states that the canopy is "approved under the low speed category of TSO-C23B when used in an MT-1 series harness/container assembly".

That is the TSO for the reerve, the container needs its own TSO or approval also. There are other things that can be used in place of a TSO see this part of the FAR's:

§ 105.3____ Definitions.
For the purposes of this part—
Approved parachute means a parachute manufactured under a type certificate or a Technical Standard Order (C–23 series), OR a personnel-carrying U.S. military parachute (other than a high altitude, high speed, or ejection type) identified by a Navy Air Facility, an Army Air Field, and Air Force-Navy drawing number, an Army Air Field order number, or any other military designation or specification number.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm pretty sure your rig is a retired PJ rig. I'm curious where you "picked it up"? The leg strap mod you refer to as a "freefly mod" is for doing water jumps. The strap allows you sit back with some security, disconnect the chest strap, belly band-which leaves only to pop the quick ejectors on the leg straps once your feet hit the water. The ring attached to it is for a one man life raft. The Paraflite info posted on why not to sport jump it seems pretty sound, cool piece of gear-would make a neat display... Those big canopies are not that fun to sport jump, imo... All your buddies will bitch about how much room you're taking up in the plane anyway;)

"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

I picked it up from a guy who had listed it on ebay, but it did not sell; I made him an offer, which he took. He advertised it as an MT-1X, but I didn't take that close of a look at it until more recently.

The leg strap mod for water jumps seems like a good idea.

I am a little baffled as to why a manufacturer would TSO a canopy for use in a particular container series, but not TSO the container... any ideas?

They may not be that great for small sport jumpers, but are good for big-boys, accuracy, and what they are designed for--carrying loads (such as humanitarian aid, etc.).

I am still looking for an answer as to what the differences are in the -XCCT model of this series. Please let me know from where I can get the TM.

Thanks

I contacted Airborne-Systems, the company that bought Paraflite; they stated the following:

*** "The suffix CCT stands for Combat Control Team. The MT1X manual will suffice for this system."***

This confirms what someone sent me in a PM. Thanks.

With that said, anyone who can get me a copy of the TM, please PM me.

I'm going to try to make a copy of the TM for Jumpflorida.
While I'm doing it would anyone else like a copy?

Send one to phreezone and I'm sure he'd be happy to put it up on his online manual repository for the world to see.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thanks, I saw that.

But it refers to a complete system, and I only have the canopy.

I have also found two other references to that part number.
- one was to the 270 sqft 5-cell MT-1S reserve,
- and the other to a MT-1X 'main only' canopy.
But all these references are unreliable from military surplus outlets.

I am told it may be a MC-5 canopy,
but I thought a MC-5 is a complete system.

What is this canopy ?
Phil.

can anyone tell me what canopy I have ?

It's marked: p/n 811810-0

What are the first 4 letters/numbers of the serial # and date of mfgr?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING