west33freefall

Collapsible and Behind the Head slider?

I have a collapsible slider that I can pull under my toggles and put it behind my head. What is the best way to stow it behind my head to keep it from being in the way or reopening. I try to just roll the $#!* out of it and then place behind my neck but it still seems to un roll often when I am playing under canopy. Looking to see what others do. Also is there anything I could get put on it to keep it rolled up?

The most unubtrucive system that I've seen and used were Hookit's slock design. They don't stick out to the side like other designs and aren't ugly as sin like other designs I've seen.

I've tried the bungy-rubberband system as well as the velcro loop system and neither worked as well as the slocks. As for the slider inflating, there's a trick to it when using the slocks. After collapsing the slider roll it forward the push the grommets angling forward with the rear grommets below the front grommets. Pull all the way down and lock into the slocks.

That sounds complicated, but it just took you longer to read it then it does to accomplish what was written. Sometimes you'll still have to re-roll the slider while under canopy, if its safe to do so.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I recently saw a product made by a "certain helmet company". It used magnets and attatched to a "certain flap" on a container.

It might be a ?prototype?, but I thought it was pretty slick.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I recently saw a product made by a "certain helmet company". It used magnets and attatched to a "certain flap" on a container.

Got a link? I've been waiting for someone to make something like that, but haven't seen it. I imagine its designed kind of like a velcro strap system since a magnet on a slider would weight a slider oddly and could adversely effect openings.

Got a link? I've been waiting for someone to make something like that, but haven't seen it. I imagine its designed kind of like a velcro strap system since a magnet on a slider would weight a slider oddly and could adversely effect openings.

Here are a couple prototypes. The strap that goes around the slider is 1-1/2" Type 4 (square weave) tape. The strap that goes around the reserve flap is 1" tape + velcro on one, 1" elastic on the other. The tape + velcro one is snugger on the rig, but is more likely to release accidentally than the elastic one, which has some "give" to absorb excess slider drag before releasing accidentally.

The magnets are from www.kjmagnetics.com; their part number is DX02-N50. I broke one when I allowed two to slam together. The tape seems to provide enough padding to reduce the chance of breaking.

Plan ahead when you are making your own -- the magnets happily stick to the sewing machine.

Mark

Thanks for the explanation and pictures! Nice design. Are there any concerns with Atair due to their very wide stretching patent on any use of magnets with skydiving equipment in any fashion.

Thanks for the explanation and pictures! Nice design. Are there any concerns with Atair due to their very wide stretching patent on any use of magnets with skydiving equipment in any fashion.

I await their lawyers' letter with baited [sic] breath. When I get it, I'll frame it and hang it above my desk.:)
Mark

Why the ambiguity? I too have seen the skysystems magnetic slider retainer that slips onto the reserve flap and I have been waiting for it to come out on the mainstream market. Everyone who I know that already has one "knows somebody" who got it for them. It is very cool looking and highly functional. It looks a little more sturdy and has wider straps than the one that [mark] posted. And a skysytems logo on it.

In the late '60's Velcro was the hottest thing in skydiving. Today it looks like magnets.

Ever think about the fact that the spring in your pilot chute is ferrous steel? I would hate to see a reserve pilot chute get caught by a magnet.

Most people will say slim to no chance; but then again . . . . .;)

JerryBaumchen

Ever think about the fact that the spring in your pilot chute is ferrous steel? I would hate to see a reserve pilot chute get caught by a magnet.

Interesting, you're right I didn't think of that.

I'm gonna say (in my totally non-expert opinion) that its just about zero chance because I am sure that a reserve PC provides >100 lbs of force and a magnet of the size we are talking about provides at best a couple pounds of force. And the PC is launched away at ??? ft per second. The ??? would be your freefall speed plus the speed from the spring.

But you are right, stranger things have happened...

I'm sure the company formerly known as RWS did tests in regards to the use of magnets close to the reserve spring. I think they were doing tests in regards to the reserve flaps if I remember what I heard correctly.

I would be more worried about the interference with the AAD.

I used to use magnets to hold the license plate onto the front bumper of my jeep. It was an air tank conversion bumper so I couldn't drill into it. That plate never did come off.

So what your saying is we shouldn't swoop your jeep??!! :D

Other than involving magnets and metal I really don't see how this is relevant.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Cool. Just wondering, do you ever have a problem with the slider coming up over the rear risers? I see that you can only have those stops on the fronts becaue of the hard housings on the rears. Just curious.

You can use the front grommets to lock down the back grommets.

But it is possible to have locks on rear risers -- the photo shows locks on Javelin risers. Off-set reduces bulk under the riser covers. Easier to do by removing the inserts to do the bartacks, then reassembling.

Mark