Cari

I need help!!

Ok, here's the deal. I'm taking a communications class and my teacher wanted to know something about us that nobody would guess, whether it is a hobby, deformity...anything. I said I like jumping from planes. I didn't realize that whatever we said would have to be turned into a damn speech. Since I couldn't think of an angle to take it, she suggested I explain various safety features that have come about in the recent times (she didn't specify 5 yrs or 20, so I can probably stretch that out a bit to accommodate whatever I want).

I figure the best place to start would be by asking here since so many people here have sooo much more knowledge than I do.
What would all of you consider to be the most important/innovative/just plain cool safety features on gear?

Maybe turn it into a speech about how we arne't all just adrenaline crazed nutsos. Explain the effects of adrenaline and how it impairs your judgement and makes moves fidgety and explosive and how it actually would be a hinderance to stable flight and clear thought process. I did something similar on motorcycle racing. Everyone thought I was an adrenaline junkie because i raced and rode sportbikes til i showed just how unstable and screwed up adrenaline makes you and how SMOOTH and stable you have to be with inputs on bikes running at high speeds through twisty tracks. Then further showed how much of a hinderance adrenaline could be and that it is actually the thing you DON'T want a whole lot of.

those amounts of impairing adrenaline boosts are not a constant factor in skydiving, only the very beginning or if you're doing something new and/or difficult.

I hope that you dont still have that much adrenaline going on on a normal dive ;)

I think the mentioned safetyfeatures and explaining the workings of these will fill up 30-40 mins of speechtime fine.

Safety in skydiving is a whole program. Here are some topics which can be developed:
1) the 3 ring system for cut away (one single action releasing both risers) instead of releasing both sides separately.
2) the RSL or Reserve Static Line which activates the reserve automatically if one cuts away
3) AAD's or Automatic Activation Device which activates your reserve when passing at a certain low altitude at high speed
4) Audible altimeter which beeps at a preset altitudes to remind you there is something to do
5) Altimeter which tells you how high you are with respect to the ground
6) the use of square parachute which has a rate of malfunction lower than the round parachute, allows softer landing (with proper technique) and bringing you back to the landing zone more often than a round parachute
7) square reserve which allows you to choose a safe landing area
8) possibility to order a custom size rig for a better fit therefore more ergonomic and safer
As you can see there is a lot of choice. Good luck Cari and tell us about your assignment marks.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

those amounts of impairing adrenaline boosts are not a constant factor in skydiving, only the very beginning or if you're doing something new and/or difficult.

I hope that you dont still have that much adrenaline going on on a normal dive ;)

I think the mentioned safetyfeatures and explaining the workings of these will fill up 30-40 mins of speechtime fine.

I know! I only need like 15, so I think I'm set.

Thanks a bunch everyone!

Maybe turn it into a speech about how we arne't all just adrenaline crazed nutsos.

I think a very well presented talk would include the vast number of safety improvements over the past 20-30 years, but then note that skydivers will find new ways to kill themselves (the Bill Booth axiom).

Spectra and other non stretch lines, tiny reserves (and mains), and aggressive swooping come to mind as a starting point.

3 ring system
AADs
RSLs
Audibles
back mounted reserve vs belly wart
The slider

Those are off the top of my head.

I added one very important safety device.

The 3 ring is such an amazing desgin. The AAD is something I think more people will understand and be more attentive to, as it in their terms, ( I am not using Whuffo...thats so lame) "It pulls your parachute for you, even if you forget, or get knocked out". Impressive, and rightfully so!