jtval

MOAB IS EXPENSIVE

Here we pay for altitude it don't matter what the vehicle is to get you there.
You pay to go to a height $15 for 4K is what I pay and $32 to 14KAUD (aprox $24USD)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

$14 to 4500' seems off because the other D.Z.'s in Utah are at a higher elevation and charge $9.

And I pay $15 for 4k in CO. Your $9 hop n' pop prices are awesome (I took advantage of them once coming back from Twin), but you're not the norm. You're the anomaly. Once again Skydive Moab prices are not cheap, but it's a new DZ trying to stay open in a tough time. These are the prices Clint charges to stay open. Can you only imagine what a great destination Moab will be once the DZ becomes more mature?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Like I said I'm not complaining. Clint owns the drop zone and can charge whatever the market will bear.
No matter what h/p's cost I'm still going to the moab boogie.:)

Death is so permanant, and I'm just not ready for that kind of committment.

yea like hopefully gets a turbine, because then at least maybe a $22 jump ticket is reasonable.... of course SDAZ is $20.50 now... [:/] and billed to 13,000 which means 12,500 to 14,000 occasionally

we need a cheaper way to altitude.....

I have been going Moab for almost 15 years and I think it is disgusting how it has grown and how careless people are with the desert. My favorite camping spot is now a very ugly RV park.[:/]:|:(

The southwest is for sale . . . cheap (relatively). Developers don't give a shit about agriculture, aesthetics, or environment.

I never made it to Moab, but I used to spend quite a bit of time in the Four Corners area.

--
Jason
--
--
Jason
--
Some people never go crazy. What truly boring lives they must lead.

yea like hopefully gets a turbine, because then at least maybe a $22 jump ticket is reasonable.... of course SDAZ is $20.50 now... [:/] and billed to 13,000 which means 12,500 to 14,000 occasionally

we need a cheaper way to altitude.....

They already exist:o It's called a windtunnel;)

R.I.P.

And the worse part of this is that Jet A is supposedly in SHORT SUPPLY. That will drive the cost of everything, including jump tickets, UP UP UP. . .

If the Airlines are having trouble getting the Jet A, we who jump turbine AC are going to have even more trouble. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

ok, I dont have time to POINT--COUNTPOINT everyone here .
but

I do plan on going to the boogie.
but once again I will say that $22 for a CESSNA ride is too much. and yes I AM comparing the price to local (surrounding) dropzones. I've jumped in Utah, AZ, NV, anc Cali(not really surrounding MOAB but...)

and even the turbines arnet priced that high ...yet.
I understand gas prices and operating cast etc. and I even understand the supply and demand theory.
so when it comes time to drive to a dz for the hell of it it probably won't be MOAB b/c I can get QUITE A BIT of services at other DZ's for less price.

unfortunately, however beautiful MOAB is, I still see the point in driving that far to pay those prices when the cessna is there.

at least there'll be a turbine there for the boogie.

and NO, Pope, its not all about money, it IS about fun. and I plan on having it there.
My photos

My Videos

This is nice feedback. Thanks!

I will address a few points later today.

But I'll leave you with "If you don't want to pay $22 for a cessna 206 jump then DON'T. Stay on the ground.

But when I'm organizing the 'special cessna loads' during the boogie, Guess who won't be on it!

FYI Fuel prices in the middle of the desert is 3.40 for both Jet A and 100LL.

Do the math. Lets see 12 gallons per load @ 3.40 is $41. Just for the fuel. Add on the cost of the plane, because we lease it, $130 dry/hr, plus pay for the pilot. Hmmm That's $120 plus the pilot per load, I would say that the total cost to put up a load to Altitude is $144. Put 6 people in the plane @ $22 per load is $132. We lose $12 per load. Hmmm.

Say we put 4 jumpers up = $88, cost $144, Hmmm.

-
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

This is nice feedback. Thanks!

I hope you mean that seriously. after reading your reply I understand the ACTUAL costs better.

AS I said, I understand the pricing etc. (didnt know exact numbers)
my point is that if I am driving across the country to pay those prices it will be for the boogie and thats it.

if you see one of my previous posts I stated that I intended to drive out there on just a normal weekend. but (for some reasons I didnt mention and) because I have to 451 miles and pay those prices I would probably rather drive to a closer DZ and go with some friends etc.

I never said you were ripping people off. The fact is that is is easier to get people (around here) to go to a well established dz then to a newer one (even if it is beautiful) because as soon as they hear "cessna " they say NO.

But when I'm organizing the 'special cessna loads' during the boogie, Guess who won't be on it!

Guess that one isnt too hard to figure out.
will I be banned from jumping the other planes as well?

Edit to fix the reply brackets
My photos

My Videos

No you won't be banned from the other planes. Not even from the Cessna. Just the way you said it, wasn't that cool.

I don't want fun jumpers to come over all the time, not YET!

My place is a tandem operation, with a bad ass Boogie once a year!

You know what they charge for a scenic flight for 1 hr is? $100-150 per person per hr. Minimun of 2 people.

So fun jumpers get the scenic flight for FREE. You are paying for the jump. The scenery is Free. Now that is a great deal for only $22.

Tandem prices are not high at all, all the other places are too low.

Thanks Pope, CanuckinUSA and other for saying what a great dz this is. You know, you've been here and will always continue to come here because its the most scenic dz in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are very small dz and we cater to the tandem students. Soon, we'll be able to cater to fun jumpers, don't get me wrong, if you show up and there is a slot on the plane, you're on it.

It really should be $40 a jump to 10,000'. What you get for that money is the most amazing country you'll ever see!!

Moab Airport's field elevation is 4550'. From June-Aug. In the morning at 7am the density altitude is 5500-6000'.

At 11am, density alt is 7000'. 4pm it's 8500'.

-
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

$14 to 4K? WTF? thats ridiculous[:/]

Yes, but...Moab is 4025 MSL (assuming the airport is about that too). Mesquite is 2028. Takes a little more fuel to get higher at a higher start.

someone here knows what theyre talking about....factor in the heat and it can raise the densitiy altitude as well... i was in moab in june on vacation (sort of) and was more than happy to pay 22$ to go to 8500 ft AGL..add 8500 to 4025 and your in a cessna @ 13,000 feet msl.. factor in a density altitude of 6200 feet and your really burning up some fuel...and currency... so, maybe you ripping on a dz youve never been to in a public forum is a bit less than intelligent... i cant wait to go back, turbine or no... its like skydive jurassic park, or mars or something... it just seems like a different planet...

No you won't be banned from the other planes.

ok Cool.
as I said I do Plan on going to the dropzone which means I will pay the price you are charging without griping. I know it sounds as if I am bitching about it and I guess to some extent I am. But, I am not going to question the way you run your dropzone. (I have even been known to support some business decisions of DZO's that shit on fun jumpers. it was is personal handling of his decision that I disagree with ...but thats another thread)
this wasn't intended to be a thread this pisses people off and scrapes the edges of the Speakers corner. but, my opinion is my opinion and I stated it. I so stated it at DZ.COM because I wanted feedback of what others think. Apparently some think I am a whiney-ass skydiver and that's his opinion. that's why I let that slide without causing a fuss. Those that know me, know I am quite the opposite.
and even though you didnt have to break down a list of your costs etc., you did (which made the picture much clearer than I had thought)

Not even from the Cessna. Just the way you said it, wasn't that cool.

I'm not sure what I said that you're referring to, I just wanted to make sure that your comment of me not being on the cessna load was just that. nothing more. Thanks for not banning me. I do want to check out MOAB.

I don't want fun jumpers to come over all the time, not YET!

Ok, and with this comment I understand that as a new DZ you probably don't have the FULLTIME capacity to deal with fun jumpers on a regular basis

My place is a tandem operation, with a bad ass Boogie once a year!

And I for one will thank you (in person if you're not too busy) I understand that you sacrifrice and that its NOT easy work, and I would imagine you do it , in part, for the love of the sport. which IMO kicks ass.
all I said was that the price seemed ridiculous to me. I never siad anything about you and I never knocked the way you run your dz etc. ( that is actually a response to the general flaver of this thread, not directly to you)

You know what they charge for a scenic flight for 1 hr is? $100-150 per person per hr. Minimun of 2 people. so fun jumpers get the scenic flight for FREE. You are paying for the jump. The scenery is Free. Now that is a great deal for only $22.{/reply]
actually I didnt know that. but my comment about "how many times do i have to pay..." was in response to someone who said you (the fun jumper) are paying for the scenery

We are very small dz and we cater to the tandem students. Soon, we'll be able to cater to fun jumpers, don't get me wrong, if you show up and there is a slot on the plane, you're on it.

which is why I would rather go to a dz that can offer me the service I need. don't get me wrong. if you were 350 miles closer I would still go and hang out its really all about the travel.

It really should be $40 a jump to 10,000'. What you get for that money is the most amazing country you'll ever see!!

and that is why I plan on coming to your boogie. thanks for offering it.

so to sum it up.
THANKS for offering this boogie in the most spectacular scenic area in the US. I do plan on going and having a good time.
and eventually when you grow and are able to cater to funjumpers I will be there more often. ( as long as I am still stationed in the US.)

EDIT to fix the reply brackets again
My photos

My Videos

I met Clint at The PIA Symposium (some wuffo was buying us drink after drink after drink....:D)
Dude's a class act....
anyways I can see those prices for a DZ the really isnt set up to cater fun jumpers yet. A small "for profit" (not a club) DZ that is trying to get a foot hold in todays economy is going to have to charge fun jumpers more money. Today all DZ's make the money doing tandem's, and cessna DZ's almost have to discourage fun jumpers because of the money they could lose by not getting that last tourist up in the air. I say support them, help them get this place up and running strong.....
they get bigger planes, then you see the price stay the same but you get more altitude.....
The one thing you cant forget is the place you will be jumping..... what a view.....
I tell ya, if i hadnt tried to play superman through an intersection and gimped myself all up. I would be there....;) (I will be there next spring for a BASE course....:D)
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

You know what they charge for a scenic flight for 1 hr is? $100-150 per person per hr. Minimun of 2 people.

So fun jumpers get the scenic flight for FREE. You are paying for the jump. The scenery is Free. Now that is a great deal for only $22.

Amen to that... I think I even made that comment to Clint on the ride to altitude on one of my two jumps at Moab.

The folks at Skydive Moab are very up front on their web site and in person about what they are - a DZ that caters to tandems and accommodates fun jumpers when they can. I respect them for their candor and consider myself fortunate to have had the opportunity to hop on two loads there during my visit in May.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

22 might be kind of steep for lift tix, but i don't know what jet a costs over there. haha i don't even know what it costs in tx!
did you see this part?

Rental Gear with throw out pilot chute for whole day, (includes last pack job) $55.-
Student Gear Rental with throw out pilot chute for whole day, (includes last pack job) $60.-
All prices reflect a cash discount of 3% .
* If you order gear through us we will provide your rental gear for free until you jump your own gear!!!

not bad at all (i think:)
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

22 might be kind of steep for lift tix, but i don't know what jet a costs over there. haha i don't even know what it costs in tx!
did you see this part?

* If you order gear through us we will provide your rental gear for free until you jump your own gear!!!

FUCK YEA that's good.

hey Trav,
I just want to make sure that you know I never attacked Clint at all.

It sure seems he's a good guy. I everyone keeps saying that.

as far as supporting the small dz's. I have and do.;)
My photos

My Videos

Rental Gear with throw out pilot chute for whole day, (includes last pack job) $55.-
Student Gear Rental with throw out pilot chute for whole day, (includes last pack job) $60.-
All prices reflect a cash discount of 3% .

That's a good price for rental gear. There are many places that won't let you have rental gear for less than $20 average per JUMP.

When I had rental gear on a per-day pricing, I jumped like hell in one day, 9 times, all from a Cessna. I was making "every other load". Make the most out of the rental gear in one day, get my money's worth.

Yeah, I had to use the packers, and I probably cheated a little bit (manifest before they finished packing). I got away with that :ph34r: ... Something I can't do anymore, now that I am Solo and pratically "A-license pending". They were forgiving of me "manifesting before packing complete" as a student :D :D :D Hey, I didn't know about the rule about manifesting after packing, only until later!

During Twin Otter weekends, they are very picky about me manifesting only AFTER packing, though.