jtval

MOAB IS EXPENSIVE

Those prices are right in the ballpark, and certainly not ridiculous. You have obviously never bought AVGAS, priced a tandem rig and worked out how to devalue it over it's expected lifetime and make it pay for itself, or costed out how to run a business so that you can put food on your table and be there next week when the whiney ass jumpers show up.......

PLUS!!!!!! You would get to jump in Moab with it's awesome scenery and hang with Clint (who is one of the nicest guys in the business)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Those prices are right in the ballpark, and certainly not ridiculous. You have obviously never bought AVGAS, priced a tandem rig and worked out how to devalue it over it's expected lifetime and make it pay for itself, or costed out how to run a business so that you can put food on your table and be there next week when the whiney ass jumpers show up.......

PLUS!!!!!! You would get to jump in Moab with it's awesome scenery and hang with Clint (who is one of the nicest guys in the business)

Actually I think the prices are outrageous too and i've been involved in ALL of the above...

Our jumps are $16 to 10k and over the last 4.5 years, we've only rasied the prices $2 total. $22 seems a bit STEEP to me from a crowded 182:S
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I dunno, $308 for a tandem with video from 9,500' does sound a little high. I think $22 to jump a Cessna is a little crazy too, but that's what it is at my home DZ as well and I occasionally pay for slots there. I wouldn't say either is totally out there, but I'd agree with the subject of this thread that they're expensive.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Local place here north of Seattle would be $305 to 10K with video.

Kapow to the south of Seattle would be just $245 to 13500( usually closer to 14K) with video on a weekend and only $215 during the week with video and a nearly empty Twin Otter that climbs REALLLLLY fast and they get Mt Rainier in the background.

The scenery at Moab is purty.. so I would imagine its part of the package you are paying for.

I'm not surprised by those prices at all. Derek has at least one adventure race in Moab every year and you can see that it is just a tourist town. So the people who are in the area (besides the base jumpers) are their on vacation doing "extreme" stuff. So they go "Hey I can make a skydive....Slick rock day one, rock climbing day two, skydiving day three" it completes their belief that they are hard core adventurers.

I actually really like Moab, it is beautiful and everyone is very friendly, but every thing in that town is pricey.
Fly it like you stole it!

I actually really like Moab, it is beautiful and everyone is very friendly, but every thing in that town is pricey.

Are the Skydive Moab prices expensive? Yes. But let's not forget that Clint is trying to keep his new DZ afloat. Everyone thinks about Skydive Moab and it's very successful boogie last year (and this year should be even better). But the DZ still must operate on a day to day basis. And in today's world of high fuel prices, high insurance, we can't expect Clint to offer the same deals as the bigger more established DZs.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Are the Skydive Moab prices expensive? Yes. But let's not forget that Clint is trying to keep his new DZ afloat. Everyone thinks about Skydive Moab and it's very successful boogie last year (and this year should be even better). But the DZ still must operate on a day to day basis. And in today's world of high fuel prices, high insurance, we can't expect Clint to offer the same deals as the bigger more established DZs.

Bingo!

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

That comment was Moab as a whole, the DZ prices are right inline with the cost of everything in that town from white water rafting to renting a mountain bike.

I have no problem with Clint's prices, he is charging what the market will allow and in Moab that is lower than some places and higher than others.
Fly it like you stole it!

I really can't stand when someone tries to bash a dz before even going there. Right square in the middle of their homepage is a big banner that directs you to the boogie page and a link to pre-registration. Those prices don't seam high to me. Cesna to full alti more or less is the same price as full alti at my dz. Moab doesn't strike me as the kind of place you go to to make a billion full freefall time skydives. Shit... I can't wait for the boogie. Make a bunch of hop n pops in that gorgeous scenery. Wow!

Go to Japan. Normal experienced skydiver jumps $85 each. ;)

In fact, you can get top not coached jumps in North America for much cheaper!

Normal 11,000 feet Cessna jumps in Canada often cost $30 CDN each (about $24 USD). Bigger planes such as Twin Otter or King Air is often $35 CDN to 13,500 feet. (about $28 USD).

So some of you americans are getting a real bargain ;) Sub-$20 USD Otter jumps at some places.

I'd pay a $5 premium per jump for scenary, and MOAB sounds like it has some amazing scenery.

This is MOAB for &*°*'s sake, and the prices are just two bucks more than Skydive Arizona... for a specialty boogie, with turbine aircraft in one of the most incredible sceneries of the south west... come on, it's not that bad.
The prices for the rest? well I can only say I'm glad i'm not starting my skydiving live now.

ok let me reply to everyone if I can get em in order.

Skysprite thanks!
I saw a link to the BOOGIE FEE's but I didnt see a link to the BOOGIE prices. now that I know $22 for the TURBINE, thats NOT too bad.
the PRICE for the CESSNA was what I was balking at.
$14 to 4K? WTF? thats ridiculous[:/]

SID,
See the above those prices for a CESSNA ARE NOT NORMAL at least not in Mesquite. we Get $16-$17 to 10,000ft AGL. never met Clint but My DZO is cool as well...and its cheaper to jump there:P

PIA,
I wish I still had that cash!:ph34r::ph34r:

Kansasskydiver, Livendive
Thanks for backing up this opinion.

Amazon, Skycat
I wasn't really complaining about the TANDEM prices.:ph34r:
even though they are expensive, they don't affect me. actually if they have enough tandems that should be able to drive the funjumpers jump ticket down a bit. ( but I dont know how much business they get)

Canuckintheusa, Frenchy68
I dont expect him to offer prices as the bigger dz's.
I guess I am used to the pricing at Mesquite...whcihc is also a small struglling DZ.

Skycat(2nd post)
ACTUALLY I have no problem Paying $22 from a turbine/full altitude. but the regular prices from a cessna have just ruined his chances of gettign me out there anyother time. I have to drive 451 miles to MOAB. I can drive the same amount of miles to go to any other bigger DZ and SAVE MONEY in a TURBINE[:/]. Not much incentive there.

Weegegirl,
well I disagree wtih you. to me $22 is ridiculous not matter if I've been there or not. My Old DZ "gravity zone started chargin $20 to 8-9K. I went somewhere else that got me higher for less money. I dont have to have gone to MOAB to bask their Prices..its ONLINE. I call it research. the problem was that I could not find the BOOGIE PRICES. which I DO agree with.
I am SURE that the scenery is BEAUTIFUL but to me not worth the price difference of jumping a bunch of times there. My original plan was to go there on a regular weekend and jump I would be spending as many jumps as they could put up with me in it, but how many times do I have to pay for the scenery?[:/]

Mdrjhon,
Um, no. I'm not going to japan.
I've been to korea where their prices were outrageous and I decided not to jump. I've been to australia and their prices seemed inline with what I paid in the US. I jumped and had a great time.

Benforde,
I was not complaining about the TURBINE prices I know you didnt know that until I mentioned it here 40 times:ph34r:. it was the CESSNA prices that seem ridiculous to me:|
My photos

My Videos

yep America is extremely low when it comes to jump prices about

$32 to 10000ft in cessna or islander.:o
$380 for tandem $133 for camera

so i got to laugh (or cry) when i see questions about jump prices:S

ok didnt see your post til just now.

ok Laugh (or cry) but when the NORMAL price from a cessna is APPROXIMATELY $16 then$22 SEEMS Ridiculous. no matter how you look at it those prices comparisons are a big change if youre doing a bunch of jumps
My photos

My Videos

This is MOAB for &*°*'s sake, and the prices are just two bucks more than Skydive Arizona...

which are getting ridiculously high as well..... this 'keeping up with the Jones' (aka Perris and their runway upgrades for a Jet i care little for...) BS sucks...

i'm really missing the smaller DZs with Otters and Caravans....

"which are getting ridiculously high as well" everything is getting more expensive, the combination of offer and demand with good old inflation. None of this is new, and there is no reason for Jet A to become cheeper just because skydiving is fun stuff.

The point of the previous post, that I find it reasonable to jump in MOAB at a 5% increase price compared to one of the most incredible DZ's, simply because the landscape is off the hook and unusual. What happens in smaller low led DZs, how much a ticket costs, how long they take to go up to altitude, who are the coaches and organizers, the temperature of the pool and if they have exotic beers on tap, or not, at the "on site" bar... I would not know, the very few times I tried to jump in a small DZ, something got in the way of the bad ass 182!

:|

the PRICE for the CESSNA was what I was balking at.
$14 to 4K? WTF? thats ridiculous

Why is that so ridiculous? The dz has a field elevation of ~4400'. Gas costs money, so do pilots, gear, rent, leases, etc. Different dropzones are run different ways.

never met Clint but My DZO is cool as well...and its cheaper to jump there

I know Clint and Shellie, and I'm pretty sure that their coolness isn't figured into the jump prices. That's just a bonus.

I wasn't really complaining about the TANDEM prices.:ph34r:
even though they are expensive, they don't affect me.

obviously, they do if you're complaining about prices. There are very few dropzones that could afford to operate without tandems. They are a key factor in determining a financially succesful dz.

I am SURE that the scenery is BEAUTIFUL but to me not worth the price difference of jumping a bunch of times there. My original plan was to go there on a regular weekend and jump I would be spending as many jumps as they could put up with me in it, but how many times do I have to pay for the scenery?

You're NOT paying for the scenery. Clint and Shellie are. By taking the [rather large] risk of starting and operating Skydive Moab, they are surely making huge personal sacrifices, 'taking one for the team' so others can enjoy jumping there. *You're* paying SM's price to get you to altitude. You no likey, you take hikey. (lucky for you Moab's a FANTASTIC place to hike!)

Whatever happened to the days where a boogie was going to a cool place with cool people to enjoy a bunch of cool skydives?

I was unaware that skydiving was made less fun because the jump cost an extra few bucks. I suppose if you're into 'quantity over quality,' then that's too bad for you. If it took you this long to figure out that skydiving is an expensive sport, then you only have yourself to blame. I've been to Moab countless times, and it is one of the most beautiful places on earth when you can view it the way we can.

If you can't afford to go this year, save your money so you can go next year!

I'm not surprised by those prices at all. Derek has at least one adventure race in Moab every year and you can see that it is just a tourist town. So the people who are in the area (besides the base jumpers) are their on vacation doing "extreme" stuff. So they go "Hey I can make a skydive....Slick rock day one, rock climbing day two, skydiving day three" it completes their belief that they are hard core adventurers.

I have been going Moab for almost 15 years and I think it is disgusting how it has grown and how careless people are with the desert. My favorite camping spot is now a very ugly RV park.[:/]:|:(

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

See the above those prices for a CESSNA ARE NOT NORMAL at least not in Mesquite. we Get $16-$17 to 10,000ft AGL. never met Clint but My DZO is cool as well...and its cheaper to jump there:P

Then jump in Mesquite.

Prices are normalized for an area. For a long time, tandems were a lot more expensive up north than they were in Florida. I couldn't believe it when I got down here, and I learned that SDI was charging $150 for a tandem--what a bargain! Because at that time, at CrossKeys, a tandem was around $200.

Times have changed, but the smaller, more northern dzs do charge more for tandem jumps. And if you go to a tourist town, you need to factor that in as well.

Clint and Shelley are skydivers, and they are also very good people--personal knowledge. They are very generous people, and they aren't going to rip anyone off, and if $22 Cessna jumps and pricey (to you) tandems are what it costs to keep their dz going, then that's entirely fair.

When fuel prices started going up a few years ago, some dzs tried to keep the price of jump tickets the same, but in the end, the old joke applies: "How do you make a million running a dropzone? Start with two million."

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb