kalaniwavo

Canopy Performance in Heavy Winds

Just wondering what canopies tend to perform well in winds that are consistently 15-20+ kts. I jump in Hawaii and the wind conditions can become a big hazard if you're not careful here.

I have around 60 jumps and have been looking for a canopy. maybe a 7 cell or 9 cell? I'm not completely sure how exactly strong winds would affect glide ratio. My understanding is that typically 7-cells have steeper descents, so would a 7-cell have less ground speed than a 9-cell in strong winds?

Any reccomendations or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Nick

The winds over Hawaii are trade winds right? So you are concerned with penetration and not turbulence right?

Higher wingloading is ultimately what will get you increased airspeed, and as a result increased ground speed and penetration when flying into the wind. I don't think you are going to find a situation where flying a 9 cell and a 7 cell at the same wingloading are going to result in significatly different outcomes. If on any given day the winds are strong enough to make under a 7 cell marginal, then you should stay on the ground with your 9 cell canopy too. :o

At 60 jumps you shouldn't be making a trade off between saftey and penetration by jumping a loading you aren't ready to handle.

Concentrate on learning how to spot well, and flying your canopy actively to keep yourself out of trouble. You should know where you want to open and the cone that you need to stay in if you wish to make it back to your LZ with that days wind conditions.

Most importantly learn when the winds are too great and when to sit down. :)

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Higher wingloading is ultimately what will get you increased airspeed, and as a result increased ground speed and penetration when flying into the wind.

Flying into the wind gives give you a higher “air speed” but a lower “ground speed” If you fly with the wind you will have the same “air speed” and an increased “ground speed”.

Sparky

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/instruments/q0210.shtml
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Thanks, I'm more concerned with turbulence than actually getting blown off. I have a pretty good grasp on using the winds to get where I need to go, but it can get really bumpy down low some days. I wasn't sure if some canopies were better than others in plowing through these bumps, or more forgiving when the canopy wants to surge forward or make an uncommanded turn.

and after a couple gnarly landings I agree, its best to know when to call it a day and tap the keg!

Higher wingloading is ultimately what will get you increased airspeed, and as a result increased ground speed and penetration when flying into the wind.

Flying into the wind gives give you a higher “air speed” but a lower “ground speed” If you fly with the wind you will have the same “air speed” and an increased “ground speed”.

Sparky

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/instruments/q0210.shtml

I think you may have misread what I wrote Sparky.

If you take a take two canopies, lets say a 210 SabreII, identical aside from wingloading, the canopy with the higher wingloading will have a higher airspeed than the canopy with the lower wingloading.

That will give it greater penetration over the ground when flying into the wind.

Each individual canopy has the same airspeed regardless of being cross wind, down wind, or into the wind.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, allways nice to revisit what you think you know. :P

Thanks, I'm more concerned with turbulence than actually getting blown off. I have a pretty good grasp on using the winds to get where I need to go, but it can get really bumpy down low some days. I wasn't sure if some canopies were better than others in plowing through these bumps, or more forgiving when the canopy wants to surge forward or make an uncommanded turn.

That wasn't your original question but since that is your concern you should figure out what type of turbulence you are dealing with. So are the winds gusty, or they steady and strong? I wonder if you are encountering mechanical turbulence from that strong wind blowing over objects and such near the field. Best way to deal with that is to identify where it can happen and avoid it. :)
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

HI,

My fiance jumps 7 cells in strong and sometimes turbulant conditions. She used to have a spectre but now she has an Icarus Omega, she now can continue jumping in stronger wind conditions than she could before.

She used to be the first one to remove herself fom the list due to being only 100lbs, now she can jump and penetrate into the wind when the tandems are coming straight down.

She is very experienced however and jumps a 99 sq/ft canopy

She does say though that the difference between the spectre and the omega is huge when it comes to wind and turbs.....

...this should be the case a lighter wing loadings also.

try an omega if you get the chance.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

An air locked canopy is more stable in turbulence. The disadvantage, esp if you jump a big canopy is the canopy can be harder to collapse and avoid getting drug. My experience with hawaii jumping is the winds are usually strong and steady. Most of the turbulence occurs downwind of the treeline and other obstacles. I think a very important lesion for beginers there is the stronger the wind, the farther out the zone of turbulence extends. That's just a place you don't want to be. Learn to fly your pattern well, don't get downwind of the spot and know the safe zones. I think all of these factors are more important than what canopy you fly. A smaller canopy will give you more penetration into the wind, but if you hit a little turbulance low it can be much less forgiving.

HI,

My fiance jumps 7 cells in strong and sometimes turbulant conditions. She used to have a spectre but now she has an Icarus Omega, she now can continue jumping in stronger wind conditions than she could before.

She used to be the first one to remove herself fom the list due to being only 100lbs, now she can jump and penetrate into the wind when the tandems are coming straight down.

She is very experienced however and jumps a 99 sq/ft canopy

She does say though that the difference between the spectre and the omega is huge when it comes to wind and turbs.....

...this should be the case a lighter wing loadings also.

try an omega if you get the chance.

Please explain to me why she would up here wind limit, instead of keeping her limit the same and just feal safer under this canopy:S I think Booths law applys.[:/]B|
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!