SpeedRacer

OK gonna brew a hefeweizen.

....andits too f*^king bad most of you won't be able to taste it.;)

so anyway, i want to brew this beer young,as it is a Hefeweizen. Any homebrewers out there that woudsay I need to worry about water salts, like Calcium sulfate(gypsum)? Or should I just go ahead & not worry about it?

forgot to get the water salts thing, but I got eerythong else to brew a fine hefeweizen. What doesin't get judged, My fellow skydivers are welcome to.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

are you using all grains it might matter ... ie mashing. if so i understand that the PH of the solution something to think abut since it controls how the enzymes convert the starch to sugar. The Ca from the gypsum somehow reacts with the mash to lower the PH.

Also I have already seen bottled water where they add minerals to it. Maybe use that instead of adding the Ca.

if you are using malt extracts (much easer and what I do ) then i'd guess not bother.

my newby brewing 2c

-nate

yeah, its gonna be all grain. i usually use water salts (Ca sulfate = gypsum) but I forgot to get some this time.:P I'm using spring water from the store to brew. hopefully it will be alright. but I want to enter this one into the county fair in September.
Speed Racer

I don't know anything about brewing beer... but good luck!

My boyfriend and I are making blackberry wine this morning. ;)

I can't wait!!!!!!!!

How long does the whole process take? Thats our favorite type of beer, maybe we should learn how to do that too!

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

fortunately, hefeweizen is one of those few types of beer that are best drunk young. I'll probably ferment for a week in the fermenter, then another week in the bottle. maybe a little more.

The county fair is coming up Sep 12th or something, so I gotta get this done. They only need one bottle, of course. The rest is for me & my friends.B|
Speed Racer

Hope you enjoy your black berry wine. Alcohol is good :-)
I mostly brew cider (hard) so that is closer. Just had a batch of cider go bad and turn to vinegar. The fermentation took awhile to get going. Which was odd. Think that orchard must of added some preservatives to the cider they did not say on the bottles, the yeast never got a good foot hold and nasties took over. But I been so busy with jumping I didn’t check it trill last week to find out. Took a sip was like oh fuck and spit it out.

Remember to use sulfur dioxide and keep your fermenter sanitized and tools clean. And every time you rack your wine add some SO2 to be safe. I was using 75 ppm and still had problems, but like I said I was not sure if other things were going on.

Have fun, brewing is a good thing…

re. cider: what kind of yeast did you use, and did you add yeast nutrients? Sometimes yeast will peter out in wines & ciders, and especially in mead, because it doesn't have all the nutrients it needs. this is not usually a problem in beer made from grain.
Speed Racer

well, I started the brew. Giving it a nice long protein rest at 120F. I gotta do that since it's like 65% wheat malt, 35% barley malt.

also I've been told that a good long protein rest helps develop the thingies that the yeast will use to make all those cool aromas that Hefeweizen has.:)

I'm also using white labs 300 Hefeweizen yeast, which is good for making a really aromatic product. Started a 600 ml culture last night.

Nothing like a nice fresh cold hefeweizen on a hot day.B|
Speed Racer