Ion01

skydiving helmets....why so expensive?

I am just wondering why helmets that are made for skydiving so expensive, particularly full face helmets. I know the fact that they are often carbon fiber and such is expensive but is it really necessary? You can get some nice full face bmx helmets and such for 60 dollars whereas the cheapest fullface skydiving helmet is 200 dollars. Is there something I am missing besides the materials used and a place for a audible altimeter? Would an openface skateboard helmet be acceptable? Even open face helmets are really expensive compared other sports similar helmets. Why not a BMX helmet? I am just curious. I am missing anything and are they really that much better for skydiving?

Well, in part, you've answered your own question. The materials (and process) as well as some of the unique design features to make a skydiving helmet drives the cost up.

Also, consider for a bit that there a maybe 30,000 skydivers in the U.S. Even if every one of us bought a new full face helmet ever year, which isn't going to happen, that would stil lbe way less then the general populations purchases of bike or skateboard helmets. My point is, skydiving helmets are for a niche market with a limited quantities produced.

If you're looking for an inexpensive open faced helmet. Get a ProTech. You can easily mount an audible in one too.

I didn't consider the number of people involved. Quantity has a huge effect on price.
Also, is there any reason why a full face bmx, with the visor removed, would be bad? Just curious if there are some specific design aspects that would make such a helmet none conducive to skydiving.
Also, thanks for the suggestion, I will check out protech.

If there are no snag points there would be nothing wrong with it.

AggieDave on here was talking about getting a full faced Protech for swooping after a crash, I am going to do the same too I just have to get around to ordering it.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I'm not 100% familar with the type of non-skydiving helmet possibly used for skydiving you speak of, so take this with a grain of salt... generally speaking, using non-skydiving helmets for skydiving, the things you want to look out for are drag, weight and snag points, like what DougH said too. For instnace, with a BMX helmet, you'd obviously have ot take the visor off. Some folks have showed up with varrious tpes of bike helmets trying to jump them and found that their shape created some odd drag that wasn't really comfortable in freefall. Also, be wary of snag points on such helmets as their designers / users aren't worried about lines / risers catching on them duirng a 120mph parachute deployment. Weight... lots of folks have suggested full face motorcycle helmets... not only are these "heavy", but they're also generally larger in profile, thus, the whole drag thing all over again. There was an era where hockey helmets were somewhat popular vs. ProTechs, course, that was back in the day when no one playing hockey had a visor / face sheild on their helmet either, if they even bothered to wear one while playing hockey.

Check this...

http://pro-tec.net/

The "Classic Full Cut" under the Skate tab is what most folks (myself included) think of when they say ProTech, but there are lots of others.

http://pro-tec.net/skate/main.html

See also...

http://www.paragear.com/templates/base_template.asp?group=4#L3104

AggieDave on here was talking about getting a full faced Protech for swooping after a crash, I am going to do the same too I just have to get around to ordering it.

I ordered it and have been jumping it for a while now. Here's a picture: http://picasaweb.google.com/DirtBagSwooper/Skydiving/photo#5208147155907449346

Its great for swooping, but I'm not real sure if it would be that great for every day skydiving. Honestly I haven't taken it to terminal, although I've had it close.

The downside is that other jumpers are known to make fun of the helmet, but 95% of the jumpers making fun of it aren't swoopers and aren't looking at a possible crash in the 80mph range. It doesn't matter, I like it so it works.

Its a Pro-Tec shovel head and it cost about $80 shipped. It was made for downhill mountain biking.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am going to be using it for swooping, and yeah for the most part I don't give a shit what people think of my gear.

I have a purple container, a worn out cranberry colored jumpsuit... this can only help the look.

I need something since I have been swooping with no head gear for some time now.
=P

I like the shovel for ground launching and/or swooping, but it catches a lot of air under the chin. Not a great freefall helmet.

You can get an audible in the Pro Tec Snow helmet line and they offer great protection at a low price point....

.... and of course.... I carry them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

If you're looking for an inexpensive open faced helmet. Get a ProTech. You can easily mount an audible in one too.

ZZ pretty much nailed it. You can't beat a protech.

I jumped one until I had almost 2000 jumps and I got lots of shit for it. "Hey lets get that student to go on this 30 way with us" (fraphats)

But mine was custom, I had it lined with red Caribou hide on the inside and on the outside stickers you can't get anymore.

Sniff... It was the best $29 I ever spent. I think they have gone up a dollar or two since then.

More later,
Onward and Upward!

thanks for all the input! I was also looking at full face motorcycle helmets that are for crotch rockets and they actually run about the same price.
Anyways, I will get me one of the protec helmets and then I may save for a nice full face skydiving helmet. Of course I only have a few jumps so my wants may change by the time I get licensed so starting with something cheap will be nice so I don't get something expensive only to find later that its not really what I prefer.

Another thing to take in mind...

A lot of instructors don't like their students, even when they're passed AFF, to skydive with a full faced helmet. In fact, many people recommended to get about 50 jumps under your belt before you consider purchasing one. Their reasons have varied from not being able to see the student's eyes in freefall, to the student or licensed jumper having trouble locating their handles in an emergency.

I wouldn't recommend getting one until you get your license, and when you do, make sure you can easily locate your handles.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

To go along with your train of thought on your wants changing, if you are going to do freefly you may want an open face helmet. You can use a full face helmet with freefly but most of the people I know who freefly aren't a fan of full face helmets. But that is just a personal choice on their part, its not like you cant use them for freeflying.

as an aside, another reason its funny they cost so much is because a lot of them have stickers right on them saying 'this helmet serves no protective purpose'. then why the fuck did i buy it and do i continue to use it? :D

I jump a full face Protec. I think it's the 'Ace Full face'? I bought it from a BMX shop for £30 = bargain as he was getting rid of stock.

It fits really snug into my face and i've jumped it loads with my wingsuit with no issues at all. It's certainly as light as any skydiving helmet, and really no bigger in terms of size.

Would be fine for wingsuit and RW, but maybe not so ideal for head up.

Took it to the tunnel and it did 'pop up' a bit, but i think that was more my fault for not having the chin strap done up tight enough.

I got a rigger friend of mine to sew a couple of little pockets on the inside for my audibles - handily, the helmet had little recesses in the foam padding about where the ears go, so lots of room, although it does fit a little tighter on my melon than without them.

Like you Dave, i've had a couple of comments on it, but i don't care. I like the way it looks, and i feel slightly happier that it might offer me *some* protection should i bash my nogin on landing.

Here's a free fall picture of it in use...
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

How much is your head worth?

That's not really applicable here though. A $45 Protec will offer much better protection compared to a lot of the $200 skydiving 'hair holders'...
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

That is true to an extent. But if you buy a cheep used helmet you dont know if it has taken a hit or not. One hit on a cheep pro tec and they are done. I love pro tec I am sponsored by them but if I go down once and the helmet takes the smallest hit I get a new one as they loose there straingth and protection. I would never go cheep on a helmet they have saved my life at least 3 times. (not skydiving but skiing skating wakeboarding)

That is true to an extent. But if you buy a cheep used helmet you dont know if it has taken a hit or not. One hit on a cheep pro tec and they are done. I love pro tec I am sponsored by them but if I go down once and the helmet takes the smallest hit I get a new one as they loose there straingth and protection. I would never go cheep on a helmet they have saved my life at least 3 times. (not skydiving but skiing skating wakeboarding)

Where in this thread was any one advocating the purchase of a used pro-tec? The new ones are already super cheap.
=P

As of this morning, Fox News is reporting a quote from the Russian PM that states the Georgian Republic no longer exists.

Even the cheap pro-tecs are much better for taking a good hit then any of the skydiving specific helmets you can buy.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."