padu

Going rates for gear assembly and reserve packing

Hi All,

I just bought a container (javelin nj), main (stiletto 120) and reserve (pdr126), no AAD.

Since I've been away from the sport for a while, I don't know what is cheap or expensive anymore (in terms of service).. so what price range (california) should I expect to be charged to have my gear assembled by a professional rigger?
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

Thanks for the info.

In truth, this friend of mine is the rigger and if I know him, he will not want to charge, what I think is not fair... so I just wanted to know how much money I have to force down his throat :)

Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

assemble it yourself and have the rigger check it. or ask the rigger if you can help. Tip them well if they do.

Cant do that with the reserve.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't know about all riggers but I have to remove the main to pack the reserve so doing the assembly yourself would be a waste of time. Give it to the rigger without the main then attach it yourself and ask any rigger at the DZ to double check your work. I think most riggers wouldn't charge anything to double check and even give some instruction on attaching a main.

-Michael

I'd charge you $85 for the full assembly and first repack with all the bells and whistles, but then again everything is less expensive in Kansas - I'd guessing your going to pay closer to $120 in Cali...

wow - we only charge $60 for that. $40 for a repack and the extra 20 for the assemble.
Scars remind us that the past is real

> Cant do that with the reserve.

Sure you can. Get the manual and some basic tools and assemble it yourself. Heck, even pack it yourself before you give it to the rigger to inspect and repack. You will learn a lot about your gear - and it will be easier to carry!

As expected he doesn't want payment for his work... so I'll have to buy a few jump tickets and force down his throat B|

Since I just bought all my stuff used, he spent more than 2 hours just inspecting every bit and piece of my equipment... he is very detail oriented. Really nice guy.

> Cant do that with the reserve.

Sure you can. Get the manual and some basic tools and assemble it yourself. Heck, even pack it yourself before you give it to the rigger to inspect and repack. You will learn a lot about your gear - and it will be easier to carry!

Heck....even mess it up a little, see if he notices! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Like Bill Von mentioned, you can learn your gear very well if you go through the manual and do some things yourself. If you damage the gear...oops. As a rigger I prefer new parts to be ready to assemble from the manufacturer, and not fooled around with. In SoCal rates vary. $70 for inspection and packing of reserve, $20 each assembly, $25 main inspection, $15 scotchguard, $10 for main packing.

Hi All,

I just bought a container (javelin nj), main (stiletto 120) and reserve (pdr126), no AAD.

Since I've been away from the sport for a while, I don't know what is cheap or expensive anymore (in terms of service).. so what price range (california) should I expect to be charged to have my gear assembled by a professional rigger?

Padu, I realize that the question is already answered... But if you gave him/her less than 150.00 and a nice dinner/dining with his wife then you cheated him.

I ALWAYS pay my rigger more than twice what the 'going rate' is.

If you are looking to pay your rigger the 'going rate', you might as well be fucking his wife.

MY RIGGER will NEVER be paid the 'going rate'.

I'll stiff the waiter at Mr. A's before I'll stiff my rigger!

If you don't get it... well, someday you will... right in the ass!

Give it up for your rigger or learn how that shit works yourself!!!!

If you don't get it... well, someday you will... right in the ass!

And to add B~T~W: :)

When your rigger chalks up a save that just happens to be YOUR ASS...you let him know with a bottle of top shelf whatever he drinks! B|

It's one of the old time skydiving 'customs' that has a lotta merritt to it! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If you damage the gear...oops.

That's what I was thinking. You start screwing around with connector links and Velcro around lines and before you know it you have a $200 added expense making repairs. If you want, lay it all out and look it over. Take notes on questions you have and when you take to your rigger ask him/her to explain things to you. Learn everything you can about your gear but don’t do before you learn.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals