jclalor

Students do the craziest things

Welcome to the world of AFF where anything can happen at anytime regardless of training.

It was ugly. Labrys, yes, it could have been uglier.

The Instructor was on his game. Kudos to him.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

. . . which demonstrates one of the advantages of ripcords over throwouts for students.

They eventually have to use throw outs though, wouldnt you rather have the student make the switch with instructors still there just for this reason?
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

It was ugly. Labrys, yes, it could have been uglier.

The Instructor was on his game. Kudos to him.

I hope I didn't imply any critisism of the instructor somewhere.

And I also didn't mean to be harsh about asking about the video rights. The OP just brought the question of whether or not the student has any say in whether or not what happened is made public like this. I asked the question in the Vidiot forum and got good answers. I guess it depends on the paperwork the student fills out.
Owned by Remi #?

Terrible. It seems to me that this student was first trained using a ripcord handle to be pulled and kept in the hand. Congrats to the instructor who managed to solve the problem. The student is better to pay him the beer for the rest of the season.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Was I wrong morally for posting this video?
I never would have posted it if someone was hurt or if I did not have the permission of the AFFI.

Chris,

I didn't mean to hammer you. I only thought when I first saw the video that it was great that the student was okay and damn... that's one hell of a close call.

That kind of close call is one of the things I think instructors worry about both on the students behalf from a huge percentage and from a small percentage how it could be taken from a whuffo's point of view.

A lot of people have seen the infamous Lutz video where he says (paraphrased) "they didn't tell me to expect my chute to just fly away" That's accusatory and something most of the whuffo crowd watching the video believed.

Most skydivers with even minimal jump numbers watched in numb amazement as the asshat in question cut away instead of pulling and watched his instructors try like hell to save his life while his narative described how they abandonded him...

In his case, he went live with his own video. In this case, it sounded to me like the student wasn't involved with posting the video.

Lawyers have done wierder things than post stuff on this forum looking for bait. It seems that you didn't mean harm and I'm sorry I pounded you, okay?
Owned by Remi #?

Wow! That could have been ugly!

HUH? Could have been?Looked pretty fucking ugly to me***

If that's ugly, what do you call what could have happened?:P

A Big Fucking Mess to clean up...

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

First off, mad props to the instructor for staying alert with the student. Beer worthy for sure, hell if i were the dzo i'd give him/her a raise for that save.

I kind of agree with labys regarding the posting of the video from the standpoint that whuffos that consider skydiving dangerous as further proof that "ah-ha! see how this is can kill you?" but yet they don't think twice about cars and/or motorcycles. Not bashing the OP poster at all, but do think these type of vids should be kept within the skydiving community where skydivers can understand what's going on.

just my humble opinion brothers and sisters.

blue skies,
SBM

Was she allowed back to Hollister????!

:|

Well, someone up-thread said that this student decided that maybe skydiving wasn't for them. So, this may be OBE, but why wouldn't you let her come back?

She certainly isn't the first student ever to hang onto a hand-deployed pilot chute and likely won't be the last.

. . . which demonstrates one of the advantages of ripcords over throwouts for students.

To me it screams why conversions kill. Only instructors with rip cord mains on their own rigs should make your argument.

I could not agree more. I think SOS systems for students are a bad idea for this exact reason.

The video was posted on Youtube under "Hollister AFF cat 1" I dont think many whuffo's would be looking under that for skydiving disasters. It was posted for the skydiving community or I would have put it under something more interesting.
I also thought it could possably educate.

>Only instructors with rip cord mains on their own rigs should make your
>argument.

I'm not making an argument for one over the other, and keep in mind that experienced jumpers have different requirements for gear than students do. I have worked with both ripcords and throwouts for students, and both have their pluses and minuses.

Was she allowed back to Hollister????!

Well, someone up-thread said that this student decided that maybe skydiving wasn't for them. So, this may be OBE, but why wouldn't you let her come back?

She certainly isn't the first student ever to hang onto a hand-deployed pilot chute and likely won't be the last.

True.
But if she can do that after a full AFF ground school, how on earth would she carry out her EPs on jump 2 if the need arose?

...But if she can do that after a full AFF ground school...

If she did that after a full AFF ground school... I'd be thanking my JMs for dealing with the bridle around her neck and horseshoe... then I'd be breaking down the video as to what happened before that point and then backing up to the AFF ground school and see what was missed or could have been done better.

Yes, students do crazy things.

Yes, some students need to hear the bowlingball speech.

Yes, skydiving isn't for everyone...

... but IMO the DZ & JMs in that video should also be looking inside and to themselves to see what they can do different / better in the future and / or what can they see in hind-sight that may benifit them in the future.

... just some of my thoughts.