VTskydiver

rigging service question

I am in the habit of popping it when I drop it off, and did so in this case. With it on I make the motion of pulling the cutaway handle but don't actually do it, then actually pull the reserve handle. I got into this habit as soon as I had my own gear.

Looking at the pictures that you posted it looks like both the cutaway and reserve handles are securely in place and the reserve ripcord swage is still in a normal un-pulled position... Are you sure that you pulled the handle?

I agree - doesn't look frayed to me in the least. Those look like burns.

I'm with Terry. I've never seen bridle damage like that.

I HAVE seen both freebag and bridle get friction damage/burn holes/melting from a Cypres fire split-second after main PC throw - damage from the main bridle wrapping around deploying freebag and reserve bridle, but in that case it was obvious what had happened, and there was a lot of color transfer from red main to white reserve bridle (long streaks of red & signs of friction before the actual major burns and damage.)

Good luck, glad you got your rig & Cypres back OK.

I took a second look at the picture and I can see that what first looked like fraying is actually melted. It's obvious, the guy isn't going to 'visit' with you about the situation and would probably deny any responsibility. You could send a letter to the FAA and let them handle it. in the mean-time, get it to a 'real' rigger and chalk it up to experience. Your post, really drives home the fact that folks need to beware. Good luck to you.

Chuck

The Feds aren't going to do anything. No violation, nothing certified as airworthy when it wasn't. No proof the damage was packed by the previous rigger. Nobody excercising the privildges of a rigger without a certificate no matter what the claims were made.

Even if you open a reserve with a pillow in it it's tough to make a case unless the inspector saw it with an intact seal and then opened it, maybe with video of intact seal etc. Hmm, I heard about a sting once where they purposefully got a rig packed by a rigger and opened it under controlled conditions with witnesses. Don't remember the details. A symposium hallway discussion.:S

Best you have is a small claims case, and then probably not enough proof.

Assholes happen.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

WOW!
Is any else disturbed by this?
It seems that we have an individual who dropped her gear off w/a 3rd party, instead of taking it to a DZ(what, she was too busy?).
She claims to be sure that the damage to her free-bag/bridle
couldn’t have happened prior to her delivery. But she goes on to admit that she didn’t inspect(or evidently even look at), after allegedly pulling her handles( actually, just one
Handle).
At least two observant, and objective readers have pointed out that the gear appeared not to have been disturbed, any more than necessary to remove the AAD.
Yet she, and dz.com are more than willing to post an individuals name, and that of a business. I guess their
( Vtskydiver, and dz.com) policy is much like the Better Business Bureau: “its not our job to decide if the complaint is valid. We just post the complaint in a public forum”.
I’m curious : how many readers think this all occurred exactly like Vtskydiver says?
And, more importantly: how many of you have decided, based solely on this uncorroborated complaint, that the DZ in question will not be getting your rigging business in the future?

Stilletto-babe, I'm assuming you are the same Amber Lynn that works manifest at Skydive the Rockies. Your profile also says soon to be DZO, are you taking part of that business? Either way, if you are working manifest there please feel free to give me a call to talk about this. I left my number with you on Sunday, or PM me to get it again. If you convince me I'm in the wrong, or if Bob chooses to talk about it then I'll gladly retract my negative statements about your business or at least add that the "rigger" addressed my concerns, even if just to disagree with them. So far, your post is the most I've heard (assuming you are the same Amber Lynn at manifest).

To address your question about not taking my gear to a DZ, I assumed that taking it to a rigger/DZO was a safe choice. I have learned from this for the future and found a rigger near Denver I'll be taking my gear to (still not at a DZ - not all rigging lofts are DZ-located).

WOW!
It seems that we have an individual who dropped her gear off w/a 3rd party, instead of taking it to a DZ(what, she was too busy?).
couldn’t have happened prior to her delivery. But she goes on to admit that she didn’t inspect(or evidently even look at), after allegedly pulling her handles( actually, just one
Handle).
At least two observant, and objective readers have pointed out that the gear appeared not to have been disturbed, any more than necessary to remove the AAD.
Yet she, and dz.com are more than willing to post an individuals name, and that of a business. I guess their
( Vtskydiver, and dz.com) policy is much like the Better Business Bureau: “its not our job to decide if the complaint is valid. We just post the complaint in a public forum”.
I’m curious : how many readers think this all occurred exactly like Vtskydiver says?
And, more importantly: how many of you have decided, based solely on this uncorroborated complaint, that the DZ in question will not be getting your rigging business in the future?

Well, knowing VTSkydiver, I'm pretty sure she's telling the truth. Also, I just left my trusted rigger when I moved, and if I got my reserve back from another person with the same damage as VTskydiver did, I'd have the same questions...and I'd stake my life on the fact that my trusted rigger didn't do it.

As for the DZ getting my rigging business, I already have a rigger who came highly recommended by a close friend. Not to mention it's out of my way. But yeah, if I hear a firsthand account from someone I know re: a big rigging grievance, I won't use that rigger. I don't think I'm alone - I'm trusting this person to be my 'last resort'. That's why it's so important as a rigger to respond to such mistakes and do what they can to make it better. Everyone makes mistakes, but when they won't communicate with their customers to address the issue (even if it's just to say 'sorry, it was like that when I got here') - that paints them in a really bad light, as far as I'm concerned.

As far as posting an individual's name, VTSkydiver has identified herself, identified the situation, and told her side of the story. She's been very up front about the whole thing, disclosing what she saw from her perspective...and no more. I don't have a problem with her posting his name publicly, because it seems to me nothing's stopping him from coming on here and telling it from his perspective to clear things up (or heck, even calling her back).

If someone won't communicate with you in private, why shouldn't you call him out? Keep in mind, she was first posting to ask how she could get her gear back from an unresponsive DZO (supposed 'rigger')...it was only when she found the damage (after chasing down her gear) that she posted the name. And still, no response.

On another note, apologies for bringing this up, but I'm curious as to why you've been registered for almost a year now, and are just now deciding to make your first post? In the interest of full disclosure, would I be wrong to assume you also know of this DZO/DZ? Do you have any insight you can add?

Congrats on your 'Soon-to-be DZO' status, BTW...get ready, because (as I'm sure you know), you'll get to deal with some fun PR issues like this as well. :)
Signatures are the new black.

WOW!
Handle).

I am very selective about who I bring my rig to, and now I pack it myself under supervision, so I wouldn't find myself in this situation.

That being said if I dropped off my rig at some ones house who was supposed to be a rigger who then did their damndest to avoid proper communication with me and when I showed up to pick up the rig it was just lying around the house, I would likely suspect that the damadge resulted from a similar act of neglect.

Me thinks thou doust protest too much.

Of course I am sure your post isn't biased or motivated in anyway, considering you signed up on this site only to reply to this thread.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

considering you signed up on this site only to reply to this thread.

9 months ago? It may be her first post, and it may be biased, but I doubt she saw this post coming in November 2007.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I appreciate your response and information. You're right! It's the rig owner's word against the other party's word. Sure wouldn't hold-up in court. (I shoulda' known better... Duh, me!:$)
It's kinda' sad, a person gets burned, as in this situation and there's just not a whole bunch they can do about it. A small claims case wouldn't hold-up, either. The first thing a judge would ask is; "Where's your proof!" Thanks again, Terry.
Now, I know why, you make the 'big bucks'!:D

Chuck

considering you signed up on this site only to reply to this thread.

9 months ago? It may be her first post, and it may be biased, but I doubt she saw this post coming in November 2007.

I missed that. :$ I just saw the one post and jumped to conclusions, I still stand by the rest of my post. :P
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Nope, not disturbed at all. Disturbed that a purported rigger didn't/isn't/won't communicate with a customer.

BTW the best rigging service, in my 30 years of experience, is somewhere besides the dropzone, that often farms it out to who ever is around. ( A separate rigging business located at a DZ is different)

Too little, to late in your response.

b'bye
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I could tell some ugly stories about a certain Master rigger I knew who would write letters on other riggers and the Feds followed-up! I know of one or two well known riggers who had letters written on them by this guy. Mind you, this is the same master rigger who made a leg-strap repair on a H/C using FF thread! I thought, I got ya' now you so and so. I wrote a letter to the FAA about the incident and guess what... nothin'! The guy was also the DPRE and had the status of a 'GOD'.
As for the big bucks... :D:D

Chuck

Chuck