davedlg

Solos

Is it just me or does anyone else like going on the ocassional solo jump for fun?

When I had just gotten my A-license, I mostly did solos because I didn't have a whole lot of people to jump with.

Now I go to the DZ and I have a lot of people who I can jump with, but I like to take the ocassional jump and just relax and do my own thing. I really like getting out and playing around freeflying and not having to worry about where anyone else is. I had to actually turn down jumping with others just to have a jump to myself. It seemed like no one understood why I would want to do a solo if I had other people to jump with.

We were talking about this yesterday at the DZ. I have never done a solo and have no desire to. I like jumping with others and seeing them smile. :)

I'm more this way. Doing most of my jumps at a Cessna DZ where often I would be the only upjumper on a tandem, soloing finally started to get boring. I see dave's point too if you are at a big DZ and always jump with others.

I do solos frequently to improve on mistakes I made on previous skydives. After I get on the ground, if I realize I did something wrong, I think about what I should've done (or ask someone what I should've done). Then I plan a drill dive where I practice that move over and over. I image the previous scenario and I drill the correct move - try to build it into muscle memory. If that same scenario ever comes up again, I hope that my practice will result in the correct response.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I got shit for doing a few solos at a large dz. I WANTED to do one or two to work on some tricks and new things.
I also need a solo high pull every few weeks. People who give ya crap for going solo can't handle being alone i guess.
I'm a loner but i'm never alone...... Me, myself and I are pretty good friends . Except Me keeps fighting with Myself and I always try to break them up.:S

yeah, I do solos from time to time to work on freeflying skills and moves where I am not entirely comfortable being around other people in the sky yet. But on this particular jump all I did was jump out, go to my back and watch the tandem behind me leave then get in a sit and enjoy the view of the mountains and being where I was. On jumps with others, I don't get to enjoy the scenery or the fact that I am 2 miles above the ground in freefall as much because I am concentrating more on where they are and what I am doing relative to them. One of my favorite things to do is a high pull and just relax and enjoy the long ride down.

i like to do one for fun every once in awhile. after working on coach jumps and stuff where you have specific tasks to do (wworking on license req's), it's nice to jump alone, just stay flat dumb and happy for a bit, look around, dump high and play with your canopy.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I love doing solos and prefer them. Many times at dz's I have had to argue my way out of RW or other group jumps. For some reason a lot of people that only want to do group jumps think that you're;
a: Shy
b: nervous
c: unsure of your abilities

they're like those people that love to dance, just because I don't, they assume that as long as they drag me onto the dance floor I'll be just fine! Sorry......
how 'bout d: none of the above - I just love solos, I find them meditative, relaxing and fulfilling.
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Every so often, yeah. Lately I've been playing around with freeflying, so when there's no one around to jump with or there's one spot on a load, I'll go work on that (trying to address issues that were identified in some freefly coaching that I did). Just last week I went on a solo tracking dive, just because I enjoy that and am always trying to improve. Yesterday, even as the weather cleared and there were plenty to jump with, I did a couple hop & pops by choice.

All depends on my mood. Sometimes I don't like to jump alone other times I love it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I really like solos. It gives you time and freedom to play, tumble and just be an idiot.

\

Though I agree that's great for solos, it's also fun to have someone with whom you can go on "goofy jumps" just to have fun. I'm lucky in that I have someone at my DZ who will do those jumps with me when one or both of us is feeling "meh" about jumping again. No goals, no plan (except exit and breakoff) and we just have fun in the air.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I solo jump all the time. I went jumping a week ago and all 3 jumps that day were solo's. The 3rd jump I followed the guy in front of me out the door and just tried to keep him in my view.

I've got plenty of people to jump with, sometimes I just like doing my own thing, ya know?

Don't care for solos. There isn't anything I'm working on right now that can't be better practiced with another person. I even sold my wingsuit because at the time nobody else at my DZ had one, and the only thing more boring than a 60 second solo is a 135 second solo.

I end up doing alot of solos because my cessna DZ has more RW type than free flyers. I also am still working on alot of stuff, transitions etc that can be effectively worked on solo.

I love jumping with others, but solos are a good way for me to practice some things.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

I wike do sowo's. Oh, dat scwewy wabbit! As a mattew of fact I pwan on doing mowe the next few months. Oh, dat scwewy wabbit! I need to wowk on accuwacy fow D wicense, I haven't weawwy concentwated on the weqwiwements. Oh, dat scwewy wabbit! Awso, wowking on having a video made fow non-jumping fwiends sowt of having some fun going unstabwe sowt of woutine and teww them this was my fiwst jump!

PS. Oh, dat scwewy wabbit! .this has been twanswated in Ewmew Fudd diawect text