Flying_Squirrel

Paratec NRG "ENERGY" 160

Hi 2 all,

i like to post my recently gained expirience with the new chute from Paratec - called the NRG spelled ENERGY.

Ive flown a 160 at a WL of about 1.2-1.3.

I had the oppurtunitie to test this parachute in a CC training with Moritz Friss - the review refers to a test chute supportet by Paratec and Boss Rigging.

First Thing i have to say for the bad things is the slider - on 80% of the jumps i was not able to collabse the slider as i used too... This was because - so my and others opinion - it was a fault in manufacturing, the lines who are supposed to collaps the slider dissapeared into it - so you coldn´t collaps is. A knot in the lines helped, but not solved the problem - i hope this will be solved with the serial ones...

Second thing was that the steering lines were too short - grabbing the FR was OK, but pulling FR´S down, the tail of the parachute was pulled down also, causing absolutly unpleasant FR behavior.

On the positiv side: Good flare (due to the relative steep line trim) and general setup of the canopie.
Travels real (for this WL) great distances while flaring. Was the 3d on exit and the 1st to land due to mouch lighter WL.

Openings: Really comfortable, i only did hop and pops (my VISO sometimes never logged the jumps) - but genarally, they´re OK, sometimes closed end cells. But thats a matter of construction - whitch appears on almost any elliptic/semi-elliptic foils.

Packing - it was OK, between a Chaienne and some other, brand new canopi.

Summarie: Fun 2 fly, good pack job... If rigged with correct steering lines i can bet to outperform a NITRO at the same WL...
Hopefully the slider is better tan the demo one...

Ah, and i did a CRW with a guy on a spark at WL 1.0 - worked also good - so the lowend in breaks is definitly OK.

If there are any question´s left, PM me...

I have a question (just out of curiosity). From what I can gather the NRG is lightly eliptical.

So are you really jumping a test-bed (non production) eliptical canopy loaded at nearly 1.3 with 68 jumps?

And doing casual CReW with it too?

Who thought that this was a good idea?

That may be more than one question - sorry!

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Yes, it´s semi-eliptical. But my yoump number is higher, haven´t been updating it for a while.

It´s a demo from Paretec, but mine will be hopefully delivered this week. :)
CRW was a no content CRW, with no contact or grips, yust to get used to be flying near a other person and to manage the level and speed differences - whitch is really a good practice.

What should not be a good idea?

Man, I didn't know that Paratec hired such experienced test-pilots, they're gonna rock the canopy world!!! I think PD spends too much money on Jay Mo & Co., they should get closer to the real customer and offer test-jumping Velo-2 prototypes to virtually anyone:)))

on 80% of the jumps i was not able to collabse the slider as i used too... This was because - so my and others opinion - it was a fault in manufacturing, the lines who are supposed to collaps the slider dissapeared into it - so you coldn´t collaps is. A knot in the lines helped, but not solved the problem - i hope this will be solved with the serial ones...

you're simply too demanding... if your slider refuses to collapse, just roll it really tight and put it in your mouth, welcome to the old-school;))))

Was the 3d on exit and the 1st to land due to mouch lighter WL.

probably the first canopy on the market which brings you faster to the ground under lighter wing-loadings!

Openings: Really comfortable, i only did hop and pops ...

Atair once boasted that Cobalt could be deployed even in head-down position, even made a video of it... nowadays people seem to settle for much less... please don't slam me on my hop&pop:))))

But thats a matter of construction - whitch appears on almost any elliptic/semi-elliptic foils.

Have you tested all of them, really? you're the man!

Packing - it was OK, between a Chaienne and some other, brand new canopi.

That's a really good comparison, and don't worry about that handful of freaks, who don't jump Cayenne and have no clue what other "brand new canopi" you have in mind:)))

If rigged with correct steering lines i can bet to outperform a NITRO at the same WL...
Hopefully the slider is better tan the demo one...

Please, don't be too shy! why setting such a low standard? try to go for a Jay Mo's distance record;)
"Impossible is nothing" Adidas slogan:)

Sorry, a bit late to reply...

I never claymed to be a test pilot, i only said i got one to test jump as it was new on the market. I was only trying to make a review based on my expirience.

No no, slider workes just fine with the serial one - and yes, there´s anoter way than sticking it into your mouth, but i´m sure that i don´t need to explayn that to you. :)
Oh my gosh, that should point out the glide ratio, OK???

The openigs are fine, not only on hop and pops. I wrote that so that the readers could get a correct picture of the circumstances i jumped the chute. Because PARATEC chutes were commonly known for hard openings.

No, i haven´t. But it seems that youre the man.

Again sorry - but as mentioned bevore, i like to explain why i have that opinon and on what my opinion is based on.

Ah, yes... as i was informed later - the steering lines were shorter in comparison to the factory one.