justaflygirl

This takes the cake!

Considering the age of the adoptive parents, they prolly didn't think they were doing anything wrong. It used to be quite common for children with disabilities to sleep in "cages." The fact that they were painted shows that the parents were doing what they thought was right. If the kids weren't abused, i don't see what the big deal is. But then again i have extensive training in social services so i know the history and what used to be considered acceptable. Sounds like a case of the parents still doing it "the old way."

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Considering the age of the adoptive parents, they prolly didn't think they were doing anything wrong. It used to be quite common for children with disabilities to sleep in "cages." The fact that they were painted shows that the parents were doing what they thought was right. If the kids weren't abused, i don't see what the big deal is. But then again i have extensive training in social services so i know the history and what used to be considered acceptable. Sounds like a case of the parents still doing it "the old way."

You know, that's just what I was thinking, Sunny.

I took note of the part that said some of the children had Autism (jumped out at me for obvious reasons ;)). We have to keep locks and barriers on our upstairs windows, doors, and any cupboards. If they made a crib big enough, we would use them for the boys.

For people unfamiliar with Autism and other disorders, a child in a 'cage' sounds horrifying, but I'm glad you showed that link in your next post too, Sunny. I'd want to see what was meant by 'cage'. The article had no pictures.

An enclosure would definitely be safer for our boys, I just didn't know they made them like the link you showed. Our sons are at risk of jumping out of the windows, running out the doors, climbing on top of the roof, etc. Many special needs kids (including my Joey) like the feeling when they crawl into small spaces. Joey frequently brings tons of pillows and blankets down around himself to 'nest'. He also tries to sleep under tables and desks, and in the space between the couch and wall. This is comforting to them, and I could see how this arrangement could be beneficial. -Again, there were no pics, and the fact that the house smelled of urine is not a positive statement...

Have any of you all ever been to a children's ward in the hospital? The kids are kept in steel 'cages'. Very large cribs, for their protection.

This article was definitely written for the 'mental picture' and shock value, and I imagine there may have been some wrong doing, however I doubt very much it is to the extent that the media attempted to paint it.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I can see that, and for safety reasons it is neccassary, but the way I read the article on MSN, is that some of the cages were barely 40" X40" so there is no way a child of 14, as the oldest was, could stretch out properly if the "cages" were only intended for sleeping purposes. My two youngest sons, spent a good bit of time in the hospital as babies for lung/breathing disorders and the cribs at my local hospital on the pedi unit are fully enclosed metal cribs. However, these large cribs are big enough to accomodate a large child (i even could nearly stretch out laying next to my son with one of the sides down). I think there may have been some good intent, but it wasnt done properly and thats why the kids were removed.

Jaye, you're an awesome mother. Even though i've never met you, i can tell from your posts that you rock. Though i don't work in social services anymore, i worked in that field for many many years, specifically for children/adults with special needs. Autism is such a difficult diagnosis to deal with. You do a great job, and always seem to keep up to date on the latest information. Your boys are lucky to have you. I used to have twins with autism on my caseload. They joined up with me when they were 2. Watching them grow and learn was pretty damn amazing. They were such fun, adorable little boys. Anyhoo, i got off topic... :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!