Lolie

Website registration and hosting

My mom has started a small business, and because I have some web design experience, she asked me to do the website. The only problem is that all the websites I've been doing have been for companies that provide the website registration and hosting, so I know nothing about that side of things. Is there anyone out there with registration or hosting advice/recommendations?

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

My mom has started a small business, and because I have some web design experience, she asked me to do the website. The only problem is that all the websites I've been doing have been for companies that provide the website registration and hosting, so I know nothing about that side of things. Is there anyone out there with registration or hosting advice/recommendations?

This is part of what I do for a living... I recommend westhost..
http://www.westhost.com/

I religiously use Brinkster . They are really cheap, have great 24/7 support (I know their support people by name, theyre great and even help me out with coding problems), and they give you alot of bang for your buck. I set most of my clients up with them on a dedicated server that they manage for me, too.

edit: they also give you a free domain name if you prepay for one year. I think there's like a 90 day moneyback guarantee too.
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

for Linux hosting:

www.pair.com is good.

do not use aitcom.net . slow servers. lousy support.

also pick someone who has servers located in the area you are interested in. no need to have a server on the west coast when you are interested in the east coast.

my newby advice

:P

I use http://www.aplus.net/

Very cheap linux or windows hosting, lots available features (SQL, Merchant Services, etc) ... They have been very good to me.. I spend $10 per month for a 2 gigs of space, email, shell account, SQL, scripting, everything..

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

our dz uses stormweb. support isn't great, but i really haven't needed it. pretty cheap too.

For Only $11.99/Month, You Get:
1000 MB of Web Space
30 GB of Bandwidth
750 E-mail Addresses
Spam & Virus Protection
Web Statistics
Web-based Control Panel
FrontPage 2003 Extensions
PHP 4 Support
CGI and SSI Support
Web-based E-mail
High Speed Servers

edited to add, those are canadian prices, us dollars would be cheaper.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

http://www.cybertec.net/
I have been with these folks for years now. Both for my present website www.jumpraeford.com and previous more complicated ones.
Good service, rare to have down time.

When you're unsure about what features you need for hosting your web site, the Bronze Plus plan offers you a great way to get started for only $99.00 a year!
Features:

Helm Control Panel
Use of Your Own Domain Name
100 MB Web Space
5000 MB Data transfer
FTP Account 24/7 Access
Web Based E-Mail
Unlimited POP3 Email Accounts
Unlimited Forwarding & Aliasing
Unlimited Autoresponders
Unlimited Web Site Hits
Basic Web Statistics
Database Access
Hit Counters
PHP Support
Microsoft FrontPage Support
Macromedia Flash and Shockwave
Server Side Includes (SSI)
CGI/Perl
Active Server Pages
ASP Mail Component
ASPEmail Component
CDONTS Mail Component
Raw Access/Referrer Logs
Windows 2003 Server
Internet Information Server 6
99% Uptime Guarantee
24/7 Email Support
30 Day Money-Back Guarantee

Wow, I am impressed by how many features some of them offer!

Somewhat on subject, if I register and pay for a domain (that's a URL, right?), I should have ownership to it, right?

How do these organizations/domain registries give me proof of ownership?? So if I wanted to transfer the URL to my business if I sell it.... How does that all work?

Thanks,
Marc

If you don't have a domain name, try going to networksolutions.com Secure your name there. Then you will need to transfer it to what ever server you decide to go with.

You can still sell the address and contents of your website with your business if you sell it. Think of it just like a phone number. Not much difference.

Good luck!