1 1
ASTKU

Shoulder Strap Altimeter?? Good? Bad?

Have been in sport about year and a half and have 80 jumps or so. I was thinking about getting one of those Altimeter mounts for your shoulder strap(mudflap). Ive seen the Alti-mount and I think bonehead makes one. It seems like it would be great for freeflying and tracking jumps...... Somebody told me to reconsider because in head down bumping chests with someone would hurt. Is this a valid point? Are there any other reasons why these can potentially be dangerous, another snagpoint, etc.etc......... ANY THOUGHTS??
  • Like 1

I made one that goes on the mudflap for my wingsuit rig. It works great since you don't have to look at your wrist, just turn your head sideways slightly. I have heard of people having problems with chest strap/mud flap mounts, but never from someone directly. Mine is made from ABS plastic. It has a strategically placed hole that creates a weak point, so that in case I have a bad landing, the mount should break instead of slamming into my chest. I don't intend on testing it. I have seen Bonehead's and don't like the fact it is carbon fiber and very hard. Mine slips in and out of the mudflap real easily, where BH has velcro that can be a pain in the butt to thread through. I need to make a couple more for some people right now actually. Sorry Nick and Jose.
[:/]

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I know people who swear by mudflap alti's. Two considerations:
how are your landings? if you face plant it could hurt pretty bad.
how do you lay your rig when you pack? I like to tie the rings together w/ the rig ontop of the shoulder straps. If you have an alti on your rig you might have to pack it slightly differently
  • Like 1

I was going to buy one until a couple of months ago when I ran out of pond doing a ghost rider. I launched forward very violently and impacted on my left shoulder and head while still going in the 40mph range. It hurt, luckily it didn't injury me.

If I had been wearing a mudflap alti with the current versions available today, then it could have very easily hurt me very badly. My thoughts were of broken carbon fiber puncturing a lung.[:/]

It was bad enough that after 8 years I bought a full face helmet. Not a cheap skydiving piece of crap, but a full face Pro-Tec that has real protection.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."
  • Like 1

I know people who swear by mudflap alti's. Two considerations:
how do you lay your rig when you pack? I like to tie the rings together w/ the rig ontop of the shoulder straps. If you have an alti on your rig you might have to pack it slightly differently

Both important points. The right design allows for it to bend/flex/break and be easily removable. I take mine off every time to pack. If on the off chance I have someone else pack, I don't want them to drag the rig with the alti on the mudflap. It easily slips in and out of the mudflap.

I'll see if I can get some photos tonight.

Jump an Infinity

Thanks for all the ideas and info... I always tie my 3 rings together as well when I pack. So I guess it would be necessary for it to be easy to remove. I am a very conservative canopy pilot and have had stand ups since jump 13 (which is actually my lucky number??). MONKYCNDO and AGGIEDAVE bring up a good point that the carbon fiber probably won't break and would hurt big time...... I shouldn't be worried about snag points with it being on my chest right???

It's a great idea, used to be very popular. There are some out there that solely use webbing and velcro (and I've made couple of those myself, can be mounted on mud flap or leg mounted.)

Still, you have solid metal or composites from the alti very near your throat and vital areas even with a softer mount.

I remember a fatality in MO ? 10-12 years ago: Jumper incapacitated, CYPRES fire, and cause of death was thought to be impact of a chest-mount alti to the throat on the face-down landing. I always think of that strange 1 in a million incident when I see people with mudflap altis.

Anyway there are ways to do this type of mount with velcro and webbing, which lessens the risk a bit. Over the years I've seen 100% metal mudflap alti mounts that stuck out all over the place and really scared me ....

Have been in sport about year and a half and have 80 jumps or so. I was thinking about getting one of those Altimeter mounts for your shoulder strap(mudflap). Ive seen the Alti-mount and I think bonehead makes one. It seems like it would be great for freeflying and tracking jumps......

Lookma has something you will like. It is made of webbing, so it can fold.
http://www.lookma.de/Starting_Page/Products/_The_Wedge_/_the_wedge_.html

I saw this design and several others. Took what I liked from each and made mine.

I angled the mount so it is easier to read. It also sits directly over the harness which provides some protection if the mount gets jammed into my chest. Takes just a few seconds to install or remove.

I have made a few for others and have got lots of good feedback.

Jump an Infinity

Just make sure the one you get does not have a HUGE (read 1"+) lip coming out and over the front of your mudflap.

A buddy of mine had a couple made in Perris for him and gave me one until he got his second rig. I never took it to the sky b/c it had that huge flap... Had it wiggled loose in freefall, it would have slid right up below my 3-ring system and prevented a cutaway...

I like the way Monkycndo has it setup with a SMALL lip on it.. that shouldn't cause the same problem.

I thought about how one made too long could slide up and block the three ring from releasing. I custom make mine to fit tight per each mudflap. The ones that attach with velco might have more adjustment, but are just a pain to install. I travel to boogies enough that that design would get on my nerves every time I had to attach the mount to my rig. I will have three rigs, each with a different length mudflap mount. Instead of buying two more altimeters, I plan on using the HD velco so I can move the alti from one mount to another without having to undo the screws each time.

Jump an Infinity

Have been in sport about year and a half and have 80 jumps or so. I was thinking about getting one of those Altimeter mounts for your shoulder strap(mudflap). Ive seen the Alti-mount and I think bonehead makes one. It seems like it would be great for freeflying and tracking jumps......

Lookma has something you will like. It is made of webbing, so it can fold.
http://www.lookma.de/Starting_Page/Products/_The_Wedge_/_the_wedge_.html

I've been using Frank's for about 2-3 years and never had a problem with it. It's out of the way, there when I need to read it and never forgotten.
Dano

I decided to make one out of aluminum. I riveted webbing to the aluminum. Then I sewed velcro on to the webbing which wraps around the mudflap. I made it for a Neptune so it is slightly more low profile. I put the Armor II on it so packing isn't too much of an issue if it is left on. I have been very happy with it.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

F-Fwd 10 years latter. 

Today there are some Soft Mudflap mounts with Digital pouch... (eg on ChutingStar, though $$$).

My primary need is for Canopy Piloting. With a digital (Atlas audible). Though it also sounds good for my future disciplines like freestyle and tracking. Maybe 50-50 for RW. 

The disadvantage I tracked (from this and few other threads):

- Easibility/having to remove from rig.. say every 4 jumps for jump stats logging or minimally end of day.

- Switching rigs over hot loads.

- Dragging while packing.

- Misreadings potential, so far when back-flying.

Is there more feedback today?  Any other commercial soft options?

To me so far those don't outweight the benefits, so by default I'm going for the mentionned option.

Cheers

Julien

It's more about landing than jumping.

I have had both for most of my  jumps. I love the mudflap mount (from Bonehead) when under canpoy and for wingsuiting, but I find it hard to read during freefall. Removing it is simple enough, only takes a few seconds.

• Like 1