ACMESkydiver

Caffeine reduction suggestions, please...

Take a small water pitcher to work with a big cup.
Keep water in the cup and sip on it all day.
Fill the water pitcher in the morning and after lunch.

Part of drinking coffee is having something in your hand. Another part is flavor. I sometimes drink the flavored-water instead of soft drinks.

I'm heading back to school in two weeks, I guess water bottles will become my new best friends...:S
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I used to drink 2 cups of coffee every morning, and quit about a year and a half ago. Since it was just 2 cups, I quit cold turkey (no headaches, either -- it's really not guaranteed!). But a cup or 2 of decaf fools me quite nicely.

Something else you can do is simply to cut down the size of your mug while you're cutting down. I use a lovely teacup now, which holds about 1/2 of what my mug used to.

Yup, decaf teas are your friends, too. And I'm told that PG Tips is the best brand of tea.

Wendy W.

I do have a beautiful set of nickel-colored espresso cups now...now that I'm giving up coffee...D'OH!!! :S

Those hold a tiny little amount...mebbe I should just go with my sons' plastic dinosaur cups....they're about 1/3 size of a regular cup. :P
~Jaye

jeesh, Little Bunny FooFoo........ so unappreciative!

edited to add the Little Bunny FooFoo part.

:|:o:P

Edited because I wanted to edit a response to an edited reply responding to an edited post.

Also I added an 'Emoticon'. Huh-huh, 'emoticon'. That sounds funny when you say it out loud. Kinda like 'Cybertron', or some other space-age word. Huh-huh.
~Jaye

*shrugs* Basically a step down program works for those HIGHLY addicted.

That would be me. [:/]

But HEY everybody!!! I did GREAT today! I am now on my 4th cup (yes, I have a cup of coffee...hubby was being sweet and brewed some coffee and brought me up this huge, steamy cup...YUMMY!!! -He didn't know that I'm trying to cut back starting today...:$)

4 cups, that's not bad for someone who was at a pot...;) -And that was 3 cups of coffee, and 1 energy drink. 4 caffeinated beverages total. :)
~Jaye

I just did this a few months ago. I went cold turkey, but I took 4 advil when I first got up, and drank water all day. Cut the advil back slowly. You won't even like the taste of coffee in two weeks.

Best of luck.

:)
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

I think it was about 6 months or so ago that I posted that my doc suggested to cool it on the caffeine...

-Yeah, that didn't happen. :S

Now I will be required to go 7 days with ZERO caffeine for the beginning of this recommended nutrition program, and I must follow it exactly. :S

I drink a pot of coffee a day. If I don't have a cup within 4 hours of waking, I get a terrible headache. I drink the bulk of it between 2-5:30pm.

Suggestions, please?? I am going to push off starting this nutrition program until I'm down to 2 cups a day at most, so the withdrawal won't be so bad...

Have you though of avoiding coffee, tea, cola and other caffeinated drinks? That should do the trick.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just quit cold turkey. Caffiene is awful for you it doesn't give you any energy it just tricks your body into using up other energy supplies not just fat it is nonselective fat muscle what ever. No one quit smoking crack by cutting back alittle "I'll just smoke 3 rocks a day and slowly wean myself off" doesn't that sound intelligent. It will be better for your body too if you just drop it. You can have weeks of torture or just a day or two. The big thing is in your head I tried to quit smoking 4 or 5 times it wasn't until I wanted to that I succeeded. Good luck don't be weak.

Just quit cold turkey. Caffiene is awful for you it doesn't give you any energy it just tricks your body into using up other energy supplies not just fat it is nonselective fat muscle what ever. No one quit smoking crack by cutting back alittle "I'll just smoke 3 rocks a day and slowly wean myself off" doesn't that sound intelligent. It will be better for your body too if you just drop it. You can have weeks of torture or just a day or two. The big thing is in your head I tried to quit smoking 4 or 5 times it wasn't until I wanted to that I succeeded. Good luck don't be weak.

I can't go cold turkey, I just can't deal with the headaches. Headache pain is unbearable to me. :S

But I'm doing much better! I haven't even had a cup yet today...
~Jaye

I just did this a few months ago. I went cold turkey, but I took 4 advil when I first got up, and drank water all day. Cut the advil back slowly. You won't even like the taste of coffee in two weeks.

Best of luck.

:)

Headache medicine sounds like a good idea.
~Jaye

I can't go cold turkey, I just can't deal with the headaches. Headache pain is unbearable to me.

I'm tellin ya, take 4 advil in the morning! I used to drink like 5 cokes a day, and it made cold turkey so much better. :)
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

I can't go cold turkey, I just can't deal with the headaches. Headache pain is unbearable to me. :S

Well just start smoking crack then. That'll cure the headaches right away. Then you can wean yourself off the crack, because that would be a lot easier than weaning yourself off of caffeine. :P

I used to drink about 3 liters of coke a day for maybe 15 years and gave it up cold turkey a couple years ago. The first week or so sucks, but after that your body gets over its need for caffeine.

Now I just drink the odd Fanta or root beer(neither has caffeine), but mostly stick to water.

Cravings sort of follows your diet. If you stopped drinking coffee totally you'd probably eventually lose the cravings to drink it.

Yah I drank about 4-12 cans of Mt. Dew a day. I don't anymore and I have less energy problems. I don't drink more than 2 cans of soda a day now and never caffinated.

If you are a heavy caffiene drinker you are going to get headaches when you quit most likely. I tried to slow down and ween off it but it never failed I still kept getting the headaches and I prolonged the process. I was down to 1-2 cans a day of Mt. Dew for awhile but I felt like crap every day for 2 months.

You don't realize it now, but if you just stop and drink something else (i drink a lot of bottled water now) then you will be done and over with it in like a week.

Its sad to say it but its the best way. And boy does it suck.

Keep in mind, if you get a headache and are going to take something for it, make sure there is no caffeine in the pill some have it.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Try some crystal meth. make ya forget all about the weak stimulant properties of caffiene. But Iwould geuss the withdrawl could be aLITTLE harder. Pleas DO NOT take this post serious!
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

When I lived in Florida, I had cut my coffee intake back drastically. I'd "spoil" myself with a cup of coffee a week from a roadside vendor. Then I moved back up here to Wisconsin and the cold of winter had me right back up drinking the coffee. Now it's my schedule...working fulltime and going to school fulltime is rough.

One of these days I'll quit coffee, but I like the taste of it so I'm in no hurry. I just manage my intake of it and try to keep it to a minimal.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Keep in mind, if you get a headache and are going to take something for it, make sure there is no caffeine in the pill some have it.

Absolutely...I was reaching for the bottle this morning and thought 'DAMN!' :S I have to find some straight acetominophen...:P

Today is DAY ONE on this health quest and the :D day of no caffeine AT ALL. :|

Pray for my husband and kids, they're gonna need it! :D

-Hubby let me sleep in this morning and that helped...but as I type this headache grows bigger. I need to get some Tylenol, but I'll make it just fine! :)
~Jaye

Just switch to decaf and continue drinking the same amount of coffee you normally drink. Eat an apple each and every morning. It's a little known fact that one apple will wake you up just as well or better as one cup of coffee. Of course, eating and apple is not the same ritualistically as drinking the hot cup of java... so drink decaf at the same time.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

DAY 2!!!!

No headache! No headache!!! YIPPEEEE!!! I'm caffeine-freeeee!!!! :)
Yesterday I took a total of 8 pills to tame the headache. Then I finally gave up and went to bed. :(

Now then this diet thingy....I keep missing 'meal times'. I should have alrady eaten 3 times today, and I've only eaten twice...I better go suck down some more protein shake. :P;)

I'm not counting this as 'day 2' of my health program. More like day 1 and a half. I blew it yesterday because I was baking. -STUPID to be baking a triple batch of peanut butter cookies and a SUMPTUOUS pot roast with all the trimmin's on your first day of a diet. :|
~Jaye