ACMESkydiver

Caffeine reduction suggestions, please...

I think it was about 6 months or so ago that I posted that my doc suggested to cool it on the caffeine...

-Yeah, that didn't happen. :S

Now I will be required to go 7 days with ZERO caffeine for the beginning of this recommended nutrition program, and I must follow it exactly. :S

I drink a pot of coffee a day. If I don't have a cup within 4 hours of waking, I get a terrible headache. I drink the bulk of it between 2-5:30pm.

Suggestions, please?? I am going to push off starting this nutrition program until I'm down to 2 cups a day at most, so the withdrawal won't be so bad...
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Cut back gradually. Start with making your pot with 1/2 decaf, 1/2 regular (or even a smaller proportion of decaf). Wean yourself gradually and the headaches probably won't come or they'll be more minor.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Cut back gradually. Start with making your pot with 1/2 decaf, 1/2 regular (or even a smaller proportion of decaf). Wean yourself gradually and the headaches probably won't come or they'll be more minor.

That's a really good idea...unfortunately, I think I threw away all the decaf a couple of weeks ago because nobody was drinking it...:S

That will probably help with the need to be drinking 'hot coffee'. I am so craving it right now...I'm gonna have to finish the last 1/2 cup in the pot on my way out. It is CALLING to me!! :S:P

This is actually the least coffee I've had by 2:15 pm in several days. I'm getting e-d-g-y :|

All y'all can keep your heroin and pot and cocaine...I need my coffee...:o:P
~Jaye

Expect to feel like shit for a while.If you can keep from being an asshole go cold turkey and get it over with.Drink a glass of water everytime you want a cup of coffee.It keeps you busy.

-But I'm an asshole even with the coffee! :ph34r:

I tried cold turkey before. That was too painful, literally. :S
~Jaye

Cold Turkey

Just tell everyone to be nice to you. I guarantee after one or two deaths, people will get the picture. :P

Think I better hide the knives...:| Or at least put them up in a really high cupboard or something. That way Joe can keep an eye out..."Uh, Jaye...why are you dragging that chair into the kitchen again?" :|

:D
~Jaye

Jaye I know you can do this. I did it myself and I can't quit ANYTHING! lol

Just start out drinking 1 cup of tetley tea in the morning with a little milk. You can even add a dash of sugar to it. Drink it slow. Then if you want more just add hot water to the tea bag and drink that. Have another full tea bag 2 hours later and do the same thing. Try doing that for a couple of days and slowly ween yourself off that.

Good luck! I have faith in you girl. You can do it!

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Jaye I know you can do this. I did it myself and I can't quit ANYTHING! lol

Just start out drinking 1 cup of tetley tea in the morning with a little milk. You can even add a dash of sugar to it. Drink it slow. Then if you want more just add hot water to the tea bag and drink that. Have another full tea bag 2 hours later and do the same thing. Try doing that for a couple of days and slowly ween yourself off that.

Good luck! I have faith in you girl. You can do it!

Decaf teas!!! That might be an idea after the initial weening period (I feel like a piglet! :ph34r:). I'll try caffeinated tea just to step down...

Thanky.
~Jaye

I used to drink 2 cups of coffee every morning, and quit about a year and a half ago. Since it was just 2 cups, I quit cold turkey (no headaches, either -- it's really not guaranteed!). But a cup or 2 of decaf fools me quite nicely.

Something else you can do is simply to cut down the size of your mug while you're cutting down. I use a lovely teacup now, which holds about 1/2 of what my mug used to.

Yup, decaf teas are your friends, too. And I'm told that PG Tips is the best brand of tea.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I used to drink about 3 liters of coke a day for maybe 15 years and gave it up cold turkey a couple years ago. The first week or so sucks, but after that your body gets over its need for caffeine.

Now I just drink the odd Fanta or root beer(neither has caffeine), but mostly stick to water.

Cravings sort of follows your diet. If you stopped drinking coffee totally you'd probably eventually lose the cravings to drink it.

I don't know... I quit drinking coffee for a short while and had replaced it with caffeinated herbal tea (planning to eventually switch to decaf herbal tea), but somehow I ended up drinking coffee again. I keep telling myself that I need to quit, but I keep coming up with good excuses why it's not a good time to quit just yet. For me, I think it has something to do with a lack of motivation or will power, or both. :ph34r:

I would think it would be easiest to give up caffeine by gradually replacing the coffee with tea or soda, and then slowly cutting down on those (maybe over 1-2 weeks)? But obviously I'm not the person to listen to. ;)

Anyhow, good luck. :)

drinking tea helped me get off coffee about a .5 year ago. they say that coffee is bad for you back, the stuff in it makes your muscles tense up. when i gave it up my back felt good. Yea did get head aches when I tried cold turkey, but with the tea, no problems ;)

but things been crazy lately and hooked on coffee again. :(

Well, I'm not a morning coffee drinker, but I'm a morning diet coke guzzler. But that is the only time I drink it.

So, when I gave up soda I found myself drinking a lot of iced tea. It has less caffiene then soda, and I'm sure coffee. And it quenches a mild headache from caffiene deprivation. And then I cut out caffiene cold turkey and I had ONE bad day. And then I was fine.

*shrugs* Basically a step down program works for those HIGHLY addicted.

Otherwise, I'd go cold turkey and just QUIT!

Part of drinking coffee is having something in your hand. Another part is flavor.

They say coffee is an aquired taste (polite way of saying "put up with the shitty flavor untill your hooked....:D) I've tried the water thing at work....
nope, by lunch time i'm at the store picking up some diet dew...
I figure I have other vices that are just a bit more important than my caffeine addiction :):D
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

It's been eight weeks since I gave up coffee. At first I had some horrid headaches. Everytime I'd get a headache I would drink a cup of tea if it were before noon...a soda with some caffiene after noon. Haven't totally kicked caffiene to the curb, but now I only have one cup of tea and one or two sodas a day. Feel a lot better too.

Good luck!

:P
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!