skydude89

Any word when mirage drx is available

Well, it took Bill Booth 20 years to get his SKYHOOK design to be what it is now (originally designed for tandem) then people who are copying the idea of the SKYHOOK functions (3 functions) will have to complete a series of testing. Some other manufacturers have adopted the SKYHOOK like Sunpath Javelin and soon Icon.
When the 3 ring release (from Bill Booth as well) came up in late 70s, several manufacturers tried their own type of release but after few years the 3 ring became the world standard and still is. I am for the innovation and the use of these new releases will tell us who has the best design but in some case some people can be tempted to reinvent the wheel.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Just because I like reviving old threads, here goes:

I called Mirage about something unrelated to the DRX, but since they were on the phone, I asked them about it. The design is complete, however they are waiting word on any changes that will be made to the skyhook that would stop the flaw that killed the tandem pair not too long ago. Once thats all worked out, it should hit the market. From the way it sounded, it will be a dealer only upgrade, and not too terribly long for the turnaround (depending on demand, ofcourse)

Just incase anyone was wondering ;)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I called Mirage about something unrelated to the DRX, but since they were on the phone, I asked them about it. The design is complete, however they are waiting word on any changes that will be made to the skyhook that would stop the flaw that killed the tandem pair not too long ago. Once thats all worked out, it should hit the market. From the way it sounded, it will be a dealer only upgrade, and not too terribly long for the turnaround (depending on demand, ofcourse)

So... let me understand this,....

They are waiting until Bill Booth works out some modifications to the skyhook (i thought
he already had soon after the tandem incident), so they can then copy them and start shipping their own skyhook replica, the DRX?

Or am I way off course...?

So... let me understand this,....

They are waiting until Bill Booth works out some modifications to the skyhook (i thought
he already had soon after the tandem incident), so they can then copy them and start shipping their own skyhook replica, the DRX?

Or am I way off course...?

Fuck if I know... call them yourself and ask.

Last time I try to help anyone out with info.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

And just to be clear, it was not a flaw in the skyhook that killed the tandem pair, first and foremost it was instructor error.

Any changes that have been or will be made bacause of this are to cover up user error.

That being said I'm sure is just letting UPT do their r + d for them.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Chill, Rob! >:(,:(,[:/],:)

Great-looking rig, btw!

Im chill... I just posted what I know and someone starts asking all these questions.

The colors on the rig werent MY choice, but the price was right. I cant wait to jump it!

And just to be clear, it was not a flaw in the skyhook that killed the tandem pair, first and foremost it was instructor error.

Any changes that have been or will be made bacause of this are to cover up user error.

That being said I'm sure is just letting UPT do their r + d for them.

It was a chain of events... Maybe they are just looking to modify the system so that maybe next time, it wont be fatal. IIRC, there were a couple lines that caught on the skyhook, maybe they are looking at ways to prevent lines from snagging it?

First, after examining ALL of the evidence in the North Carolina tandem accident, I'm still not sure exactly what happened. It is quite possible that the Skyhook was not involved at all, and I have NOT modified it in any way.

However, the incident did get me thinking about some "edge of the envelope" scenarios. What I have done is modify the reserve container and Collins' Lanyard to better deal with AAD firings right in the middle of a "normal", but low, main deployment. You would never open your reserve container during a main deploymrnt, but an AAD might. This is not to say that AAD's are bad....quite the contrary. But it is to say that there is a potential problem that needs addressing, and that is what I have done.

No system is "perfect", the Skyhook included. Hell, even after many decades of trying, we still don't seem to have a main parachute system that doesn't malfunction in some way every 607 jumps on average (USPA statistics).

First, after examining ALL of the evidence in the North Carolina tandem accident, I'm still not sure exactly what happened. It is quite possible that the Skyhook was not involved at all, and I have NOT modified it in any way.

However, the incident did get me thinking about some "edge of the envelope" scenarios. What I have done is modify the reserve container and Collins' Lanyard to better deal with AAD firings right in the middle of a "normal", but low, main deployment. You would never open your reserve container during a main deploymrnt, but an AAD might. This is not to say that AAD's are bad....quite the contrary. But it is to say that there is a potential problem that needs addressing, and that is what I have done.

No system is "perfect", the Skyhook included. Hell, even after many decades of trying, we still don't seem to have a main parachute system that doesn't malfunction in some way every 607 jumps on average (USPA statistics).

That is EXACTLY why I am willing to wait until you think its ready. I think its an awesome system and I really look forward to getting one.

I wish there were more people with that determination to make things perfect in the world.

The Mirage DRX is a potential COMPETITOR to Bill Booth's Skyhook.

I'm guessing that if you wait for Bill Booth to say the DRX is ready, that you will have a long wait indeed.

... corrected your spelling

IIRC, there were a couple lines that caught on the skyhook, maybe they are looking at ways to prevent lines from snagging it?

No!

Skyhook 2 is sandwiched between two Lexan(?) sheets, making it almost impossible to snag lines.

IIRC The sequence in Carolina was: main deployed low enough to scare a Cypres as they reached line stretch. They had a main overhead, but the reserve was trailing - still in the freebag.
TI cutaway main, but reserve failed to inflate.
The last mistake (in the chain of errors) MIGHT have been the freebag flipped through reserve lines so badly that it never opened.
MIGHT is the key word here, because evidence is inconclusive.
Another possible explanation is that the weight of the freebag MIGHT have pulled the left cutaway cable (via the Collins lanyard).
Again, MIGHT is the key word.

RWS/UPT had two responses (that I sewed into a Sigma last week). The first response was to revive a piece of Wonderhog technology - a staging loop - that will only release the freebag when the reserve pilot chute is definitely pulling. Staging loops have been standard on Strong tandems since day one.

RWS/UPT's second response was to modify the RSL and Collins lanyard.

Maybe they are just looking to modify the system so that maybe next time, it wont be fatal. IIRC, there were a couple lines that caught on the skyhook, maybe they are looking at ways to prevent lines from snagging it?

See the attached picture and Bill Booth's comments below:

"This picture confused all of us who looked at it in context with all the other pictures.

First, it is difficult, if not impossible to wrap anything around the Skyhook while it is under tension, either from the reserve pilot chute, or the red Skyhook lanyard...and the Skyhook is in tension from one of these sources from the time it is pulled from the #2 reserve flap, until the canopy is out of the bag.

Secondly, there are no burn marks on either the freebag bridle or the lines involved. There isn't even any significant "scrunching" of the freebag bridle. This indicates that this "entanglement" was never under significant tension, as it would have been at tandem terminal (170 mph).

Thirdly, there was no twisting (or barber polling) of the reserve lines, either with themselves, or with the reserve bridle. There should have been literally dozens.

These, and several other facts, led us to the conclusion that this "entanglement" happened after impact, not thousands of feet in the air."