likestojump

Darwinian candidate AKA who the hell taght this guy ?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=70214;d=1

In case the ad gets pulled down :

I'm still looking to buy my first rig. I'm 6' and I weight 180 pounds. I know a 150 seams to be quite small for me specially with only 35 jumps, but after talking with my instructors, a 150 would be a better choice for me. Specially if I want to keep it for a couple of years. Will like the RSL and the ADD. make an offer, I can give good money!! thanks

It's funny that you pulled that up. I saw a similar ad by him a couple weeks ago. I sent him a reply to the ad, not with gear for sale, but with advice, recomending a 170 instead over a 150, and talking about the wingloadings. (1.17 - 170, and 1.33 - 150). Telling him to make sure he talks with his instructors before going out and buying anything, especially something like a 150.

He replied, and told me that his instructor said he was fine to jump a 150. (Sounds like a real nice guy. :S)

Hope he does ok.

I'm the same weight and a bit shorter and at 40 jumps went from a 230 skymaster to a 150 hornet.
Outside the USA a lot of people have a differnt way of downsizing.

I wanted a 170, but my instructors talked me into a 150, these guys had 20 plus years experience each and thousands of sucessful students who are now also instructors and or up jumpers. i have 930 jumps,

The way you know how to do things is not the only way to do it sometimes;)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You are absolutely right in saying I am passing judgment based on what I know.

But, just so we are clear, I am not using USPA recommendations in doing so. I am using COMMON SENSE. A 150 canopy in the scenario is a disaster waiting to happen. Which, if you infer from my statement does not mean that it will happen, but when it does, it won't be pretty.

You obviously defied the odds (in my mind). With 900+ jumps under your belt now, are you still sure that you made the safe (notice, not RIGHT) decision ?

You are absolutely right in saying I am passing judgment based on what I know.

But, just so we are clear, I am not using USPA recommendations in doing so. I am using COMMON SENSE. A 150 canopy in the scenario is a disaster waiting to happen. Which, if you infer from my statement does not mean that it will happen, but when it does, it won't be pretty.

You obviously defied the odds (in my mind). With 900+ jumps under your belt now, are you still sure that you made the safe (notice, not RIGHT) decision ?

It's still the way we do it here now:)
ETA, but do i think is was the safe choice, YES i do, I also think i would have benefited from better canopy coaching in my early jump, but it was not readily available at the DZ i jumped at .
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Shucks, think he'll go for this 88 I have for sale?B|

Are you kidding me ? He only has 35 jumps ! Selling him an 88 would be irresponsible.

Let him get over 100 jumps, then he should be ready. I am sure his instructors will approve too. After a few transitional jumps on a 96 beforehand.... for safety.

I'm the same weight and a bit shorter and at 40 jumps went from a 230 skymaster to a 150 hornet.

I wanted a 170, but my instructors talked me into a 150, these guys had 20 plus years experience each and thousands of sucessful students who are now also instructors and or up jumpers. i have 930 jumps,

We can now officially stop asking why we have so many landing related injuries and fatals these days. This thread explains it quite well.

However, this brings up another question: What the hell is this sport coming to. Wait...don't answer that.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

We can now officially stop asking why we have so many landing related injuries and fatals these days. This thread explains it quite well.

However, this brings up another question: What the hell is this sport coming to. Wait...don't answer that.

I'm not part of your WE, You may have "so many landing related injuries and fatals (sic) these days"
But here in OZ the culture to canopies and sizes is obviously different to in the USofA, so none of the things that happen in OZ are stats for your USPA.
So I have no clue why YOU lot have so many landing accidents and Fatalities?
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Pssst...Squeak...maybe it's because Americans are both stupid AND arrogant...ya' think?
:D:D

oh, wait...
[:/][:/]

Nah that cant be it, at least not the arrogant part, cause we have arrogant down pat too:D:D:D
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm not part of your WE, You may have "so many landing related injuries and fatals (sic) these days"
But here in OZ the culture to canopies and sizes is obviously different to in the USofA, so none of the things that happen in OZ are stats for your USPA.
So I have no clue why YOU lot have so many landing accidents and Fatalities?

Actually, landing injuries and fatalities under high performance canopies are a problem everywhere. No worries, though. You may change your mind about canopy progression after a few medical bills.

Good luck with that.;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

You may change your mind about canopy progression after a few medical bills.

Good luck with that.;)

Almost a thousand jumps so far and no medical bills so my luck is holding out, but thanks for your well wishes:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Just because you have gotten away with it, does not mean either necessarily, that it is "right".

Glad that this progression, for you, indeed seems to have worked out - for you. But now as a result, are you saying you are recommending it?
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

The way you know how to do things is not the only way to do it sometimes

Especially when their education stops the moment they have their A license.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Especially when their education stops the moment they have their A license.

I've been reading this forums for 5 years. There is always mobbing about canopy sizing. Fear tactics do not seem to work. Any contructive idea?

PS.:nice quotation. It sounds somehow familiar..B|

Outside the USA a lot of people have a differnt way of downsizing

but do i think is was the safe choice, YES i do,

Yes. Yes they do. Thats because they are not cowards like all the Americans. They know what they are doing. They've been doing martial arts and racing motorcycles all their life. Their reaction is great, they are in tune with their body. The laws of gravity and physics simply do not apply to them. After all, they've logged more then 100 jumps or even have a D license!!

MADNESS.

Normal people dont believe me. I've heard of and seen first hand European skydivers with 150 jumps on small ellipticals @ 1.6, 200 @ 1.8 and 400-500 on x-braced at @ 2+ . I've also heard of one guy with less then 100 jumps on a VX80-something... And telling people that they are making a mistake or anything they dont want to hear is a complete waste of time. As most of people that have tried know.

So now i try to set them straight once, and if i see the attitude like this i say: buddy, you just go ahead and do what you want, ok? you're a grown man and can make your own decisions.

I just try to avoid these jackasses and try not to be on the same load as them much as possible.

Better mentorship of newly licensed jumpers.

At a lot of DZ's the instructors are too busy with the fresh batch of AFF's and tandems to work with the jumpers who just got their A license but have work to do. Fun jumping got too expensive for a lot of the DZ bums to be able to do anything but work. (I probably did 5 fun-jumps last year and I'm a weekender.) Most DZ's can't afford to keep a turbine in the air without focusing on the tandem operation.

Then there's this "made it" attitude that new jumpers can have; they get the A and then quit trying to learn.

So - all we can say is "Jump a 1.1 wingloading. See ya after you cough up $3000 in tunnel time."
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

While I've lost count of how many people I know who broke themselves exceeding Brian Germain's Wingloading Never Exceed chart I can only come up a couple new jumpers who managed to hurt themselves within its limits.

While the odds of breaking someting exceeding the chart may only be 1 in 4 or 5, you don't want those sorts of odds when it may mean being out of skydiving for a season, arthritis, nerve damage, or worse.