sid

background on this parachute

I put a test jump on a 1990 accuracy canopy the other day and the Poynter's info seems a little fuzzy, or not completely compatible with the label. Anyone have any info or experience with Quantum Parachute products......

see the vidcap attached
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

that may well be how it started out.... it was manufactured by Quantum in 1990 (I think Bill Gargano?) but the label doesn't say the size (it handles like a 240?) and I was curious about the triple cells on 2 & 6..........
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

That design looks like a Test model for the Forestry Services Smoke Jumper Canopy (or one of the many they use) I say this because of the triple chambers on cells 2 and 6.

Yes, Gargano designed that, and [the smoke jumper version] is called the Trilobe, and is 300 something square feet. We did some work for the smoke jumpers on theirs. http://www.pcprg.com/smkifp.htm There are some links to pictures there.

It looks sort of like the "Aqutron", which was built like that. The Aqutron was trapezoidal in shape - in other words, the front end was less wide than the back end, so it looked pigeon-toed. They were quite popular for a while for accuracy. I had one and made about 700 jumps on it. It's still in the closet and still serviceable. And yes, they were also used by smoke-jumpers. The one in your photo doesn't have cells as tall and fat as the Aqutron though, so it must be some more modern version.

Attached:
1) 1986 advertisement, showing 5-cell version.
2) Photo of mine, the 7-cell version.

Yes, I saw the Forest Service drawings in 1993, when I was working for Butler, but Butler never built any.

Out of interest, what exactly is the purpose of the three chambers in cells 2 & 6?

to confuse the customer that I was testing it for who was trying to flat pack it :S seriously though I've jumped a bunch'o'7 cell accuracy canopies before and I didn't notice any difference in handling, this would have made a nice base canopy too, it turned on a dime with almost no altitude loss and was impossible to stall...... thanks for all the input everyone......
Pete Draper,

what exactly is the purpose of the three chambers in cells 2 & 6?

I don't know what the official explanation is.

But it does give sort of an extra cell; turning a 7-cell canopy into an 8-cell, without any extra lines. In other words, it adds surface area, without the extra bulk of more lines.

It does get confusing when packing though, as that extra chamber in the middle kind of sticks out above all the others.

And note that some of the new fancy cross-braced canopies have three chambers per cell. Those diagonal cross-braces do a better job of supporting the middle chamber, so that it doesn't bulge upward.

Test Jumper Sid .....;)

looks like a split slider....

did you ever split it???,, any difference in handling???

jt

Jimmy, I didn't split the slider, I was just glad that it opened to be honest..... there's a video of the jump here http://myspace.com/sidsrigging it handled really well, turned in place, sunk well and didn't hurt me :D
Pete Draper,

A few years ago I talked to a fellow at the Alaska BLM who said the extra chambers helped in turbulance. Some thing they had a lot of experience with given where they landed for work. I do not know how valid that point is though.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

A few years ago I talked to a fellow at the Alaska BLM who said the extra chambers helped in turbulance. Some thing they had a lot of experience with given where they landed for work. I do not know how valid that point is though.

Matt

I could see where it might lend a little extra rigidity to the canopy ends, I wonder why the design feature wasn't applied to the end cells though.......
Pete Draper,

Hi sid,

Re: I was curious about the triple cells on 2 & 6

I have never made a tandem jump and know 'very' little about that type of equipment but I seem to remember seeing a photo of a Strong Tandem Main that was built like this.

Anyone else remember something like this? Or am I just losing my mind? :S

JerryBaumchen

Are you interested in selling the 7 cell?

I was testing it for a jumper who is going to test it out for himself on Friday. If he doesn't want it I'll get back to you........
Pete Draper,

Jerry, I've never seen a canopy with this feature before (but that doesn't mean much) - I pro-packed it for the jump and didn't even notice.. :S it was only when Dude flat packed it and I saw him scratching his head that we went back to the video and noticed this feature.

Pete Draper,

DUDE!!!!????????

hahahaha..
was it " bobby bobby bobby bobby DUDE "!!!????

Must have been if he was Flat packing!!!
well HELL if he is around,,, I'll be very much heading your way soon...it would be good to visit...

I recall a big way way at the Herd SkyVan Boogie, maybe in '77, when he and I left side by side, hand in hand, and tracked down to the skydive ..
He steered us into our slots, grins all around,,, and it was a good time...:DB|....there were 3 or 4 skyvans flying that Day...Limerick Pa and/or new hanover pa. long time ago..

anyway

next time you see him....

please tell Him jimmy said hello...

j tB|:)

DUDE!!!!????????

hahahaha..
was it " bobby bobby bobby bobby DUDE "!!!????

j tB|:)

YEP! THAT Dude!
Pete Draper,

Re: I was curious about the triple cells on 2 & 6

I have never made a tandem jump and know 'very' little about that type of equipment but I seem to remember seeing a photo of a Strong Tandem Main that was built like this.

Anyone else remember something like this? Or am I just losing my mind?

Strongs 'Set' 400 and 366 mains have these triple cells on the 1st and 9th cell, they also have no crossports and are hunks of junk! IMO that is:)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I worked for Quantum Parachutes for five years, I should be able to give a little confusion to this thread. First, I can't tell exactly what model is in your pic. because of the wide angle. The purpose of the three chambered cells on #'s 2 and 6 is what Bill Gargano calls "Dual centers of pressure". He has had a patent on this cell arrangement. It helps with providing spanwise tension on the center cells, giving a "cleaner" airfoil. they also give two balance points for airflow, providing stability. Bill has always been a forward thinker and one of the best friends you could hope for in life.