someday

emergency procedures with skyhook/drx

couple questions regarding emergency, "gtfo" of the plane procedures..

well little incident at skydive san diego regarding their airplane, (i wasn't on the load) but i was there waiting for some people to land and it scared me..

anyways.. in the event of an emergency on the way to altitude, and we need to bail out of the plane,

if i have skyhook, should i pull my cutaway handle and let the skyhook open my reserve.. or should i just pull my reserve handle..

to me it would make sense to pull my cutaway handle and let the skyhook/ DRX go into effect and open it quicker?

for the skyhook to deploy the reserve you would need an open canopy (at least more drag than your reserve pilot chute)

go see your local rigger, ask him again how all the thing works
go see your local instructor, ask him again about emergency procedures

if you jump and pull your cutaway, the only ting that will happen is .. you would have a handle and yellow cables in your hand. The only fabric out would come after ADD activation, provided :
-you have one, and it's turned on
-activation parameters are met
-it works properly.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

reasons why i will not ask an instructor or rigger:

1.my gear is not here yet, but it will be soon
2. there is no real instructors at my dropzone.. its like an AFF farm, its very um...how do you say..kinda spend as little time with students as possible..once they are certified,, SEEE YA..

i'll just ask people with time here..

thought i would bring it up, because apparently a load of 24 people owe the pilot at skydive san diego their lives..atleast thats what most of the people on the load said....

reasons why i will not ask an instructor or rigger:

2. there is no real instructors at my dropzone.. its like an AFF farm, its very um...how do you say..kinda spend as little time with students as possible..once they are certified,, SEEE YA..

Mind if I ask??? If you like the place so much, why are you jumping there???
Nathan

You REALLY need to understand the gear you put on your back BEFORE jumping it.

That is not intended as any sort of attack.

A Skyhook/DRX performs the EXACT same function as an RSL. The only difference in method is after the container is opened, how fast the canopy is brought to line stretch. Hopefully it now becomes obvious in your scenario, that exiting and pulling your breakaway(cutaway) handle only, will simply leave you in freefall with both a packed main (now useless) and a packed reserve (still able to be activated with reserve deployment handle, or AAD if present.)

Please go to your instructors/mentors and seek further advice both for your education, and to provide feedback to them about possible oversights in the instructional process. They may not realize that information has not made a transfer between them and the student. Often what is taught in an FJC, or early in the program, does need to be covered again to ensure learning was achieved.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

cause its the closest spot to my location...
they have a decent location as well

i have been jumping there for 2 years and try to ask other jumpers there instead of the staff because the staff has money to make, and if i pay 100 dollars for a coach jump they spend 10 mins with me before the jump and then its like, OK SEE YA

thats why i wanna go to new zealand, its an organized instructional course that is quite long. gives you that school, someone kinda gives a whoot feeling...

get it?

and i understand how it works, i just wanna make sure!
because as of right now, if it were to happen, in the situation that SDSD was in, i would cutaway my main in in the plane and jump out and toss my pilot chute..

sounds good to me

plus i think the way my DZ works, it would be best to ask that question on dz.com anyways..

they are under-staffed and always turning or busy..

someone in the USA should create a skydiving "SCHOOL"

With no main out your skyhook operates just as a non-skyhooked rig would. Pulling your main out and then chopping it for a skyhook enabled deployment is unlikely to result in a more favourable situation because it requires a pilot chute to get enough fabric up there so you could have a skyhook assisted activation. Alternatively pulling the silver would have your freebag finding its own way down by the time your main would be out enough to accomplish the same.

Chopping your main with it in the container is also unlikely do anything since your main has no reason to leave your rig (unless you pulled the main PC too)

-Michael

I don't know where you jump, but I've never jumped anywhere that NOBODY has time to answer that type of question. Try asking after jumping has ended and the fire has been lit. Pick someone that you respect and bring her/him a beverage. Ask, respectfully, if they have time to explain it to you. AFF farm or not, everyone there was once at the point that you are now. They need to hustle during the day to pay the bills, but most will talk to you all night if you ask...nicely.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

ya so im thinking

get near DOOR, WITH PILOT CHUTE IN HAND
PULL CUTAWAY
EXIT..WHILE TOSSING pC

DID I LIVE?

depends how low you were.

think about this.

if you pitch your main PC - you have to wait for your main to start inflating so then it flies away and pulls the reserve.

if you pull silver you instantly start reserve deployment.
reserve PC I believe is 36" - thus will work at lower airspeeds than your main PC which is very likely smaller.

sounds to me that on a hop'n'pop you will get the reserve much faster going for the silver. doesn't a 1step process seem easier than 2step ???

but overall, you really really really need to talk to THE MANUFACTURER adn ask them. We are all internet posters full of advice but with unknown credibility.

because as of right now, if it were to happen, in the situation that SDSD was in, i would cutaway my main in in the plane and jump out and toss my pilot chute..

It is quite possible that this would cause a LONGER deployment sequence than simply pulling your reserve handle. The main has to deploy first, then activate the reserve, and the possibility of the main not fully deploying because it is no longer connected to you is there. If it does not fully deploy (bag lock), it may open the reserve container, yet create enough drag to exceed the drag of the reserve pilot chute at which point if the system functions as designed the skyhook should disengage leaving you with a standard reserve pilot chute deployed reserve.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

to me it would make sense to pull my cutaway handle and let the skyhook/ DRX go into effect and open it quicker?

If you want to deploy your main throw your main PC. If you want to deploy your reserve pull your reserve ripcord. NEVER, and I mean NEVER wait for anyone or anything to deploy for you.

Here is something I posted a few year ago.

“Wake up to the fact that when you step out of an airplane you are effectively dead until YOU do something to change that fact. If you depend on your audible, your RSL, your AAD or your Mother’s Rosary Beads there may come a time when they fail you. If at this time you have put your faith in them and not in yourself this is the time you may just die doing something you love.”

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

cause its the closest spot to my location...
they have a decent location as well

i have been jumping there for 2 years and try to ask other jumpers there instead of the staff because the staff has money to make, and if i pay 100 dollars for a coach jump they spend 10 mins with me before the jump and then its like, OK SEE YA

Your profile say you jump at SDSD i will assume that is Sky Dive San Diego if so.
I know a couple of people who jump there and find it VERY difficult to beleive that you can not get good assistance there.
I also find it amazing that at near 100 jumps you dont know how yo equipment works.
There is a wealth of knowledge on the manufactures sites not to mention walking around every DZ.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

ya so im thinking

PULL CUTAWAY
EXIT..WHILE TOSSING pC

DID I LIVE?

please continue thinking :|

or better even..

STOP THINKING, listen to your instructors/mentors :|

couple questions regarding emergency, "gtfo" of the plane procedures..

well little incident at skydive san diego regarding their airplane, (i wasn't on the load) but i was there waiting for some people to land and it scared me..

anyways.. in the event of an emergency on the way to altitude, and we need to bail out of the plane,

if i have skyhook, should i pull my cutaway handle and let the skyhook open my reserve.. or should i just pull my reserve handle..

Some people have answered in part but overall a few things seem to have not been said.

Altitude - aircraft emergencies can happen at any altitude if you are told to get out up high (above your hard deck) then you should probably be deploying your main after clearing your airspace).

From personal experience as a student the engine failed at aprox 1500 foot and it was not clear that we could "safely" get back to the airfield. As a static line student I was given the choice of exit on reserve or stay with the plane, much to my jump-masters dismay I chose to stay and I watched 3 people exit (to mains) with deployments happening almost on top of each other.

Next is just a personal view and some may disagree but I see no point in cutting away a "potentially" good canopy when deploying your reserve because of altitude simply because in the worst case it may be able to help you if your reserve fails.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

ya so im thinking

PULL CUTAWAY
EXIT..WHILE TOSSING pC

DID I LIVE?

That would only make for a longer deployment. Much faster to just fire your reserve.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

In case of emergency, generally, follow the pilot instructions. He can decide to land the airplane with everybody aboard and this happens if the altitude is low like say below 1500 feet. Above that altutude, the pilot can ask for a bail out for few jumpers or all the jumpers. It depends on the airplane conditions and how the pilot can handle that. If you have to bail out relatively low, pull your reserve handle. As somebody mention it , in order to have the SKYHOOK working you need the main canopy out since this main canopy when cut away will do 3 functions really fast: 1) release the left cable to make sure your cut away is clean both sides 2) pull the pin 3) pull the reserve bridle allowing your reserve to inflate faster than with you pilot chute since the main is gone already when you cut away.
It is important to understand your equipment and its functions.
Note: When pulling the reserve handle the reserve pilot chute will take charge of getting your reserve out and the SKYHOOK will unhook
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Leaving aside the fact that you are better off to go straight to your reserve (as explained) you shouldn't have your pilot cute in your hand when you approach the door. If it escapes before you exit or you throw it as you exit, you may get it over the tail or entangled in another part of the aircraft which will not go well for you, anyone who can't get out of the plane or anyone on the ground where the plane impacts if the tail gets ripped off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbEyBLs9fdc

The KISS principle applies here:

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

When emergencies arise (in plane, in FF, under canopy) it is best to use the simple, proven procedures that are taught in FJCs, that we learn as upcoming skydivers and that we practice and rehearse often.

When an aircraft emergency requires a bailout below the harddeck for main deployment, exit and pull the reserve handle - that's all. There is no need or time to think about RSLs. Jump and pull the silver handle. Remember the priorities of pull?

1- Pull
2- Pull at the correct altitude
3- Pull stable

So jump and pull that silver beauty.

I agree with the posters who suggested reviewing EPs with instructors or experienced jumpers at your DZ. Review them before each jump and think about situations and how to handle them when you're driving to work or falling asleep or sitting around waiting for the next load.

It is very important to know before you jump what is the correct procedure for dealing with different emergencies. It is much more important to review those EPs often so you don't spend a lot of time thinking about them if an emergency arises - you just act on what you have learned and practiced.

Good luck and have fun.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

This thread makes no sense to me. Are you serious?

I really can't wrap my head around this. Please listen to what the folks are telling you here.

If you are bailing out of a plane at 1500 ft, pulling your reserve handle is the best option. This is not up for debate.

Its also helpful to rehearse pulling your reserve while getting out on a normal skydive (mental exercise, not actually pulling your reserve). Many people will pull the main PC because of muscle memory in a stressful bail out situation. Your best bet at 1500ft is your reserve and it will take some sort of mental preparation to actually do that in a stressful situation.

Blue Skies.

Marcel
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

sorry if my questions piss people off, this is a forum and the only place im gonna ask questions like this...

That's the part that concerns me mostly. There are many people who can give you 1st hand face to face guidance. Stay until after operations are finished and buy a beer sit down and talk to some experienced jumpers at SDSD, you will learn much more from them than from here.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

sorry if my questions piss people off, this is a forum and the only place im gonna ask questions like this, i just wanna make sure im covering everything to be safe because im taking it all in, i really am learning a lot...

the only faster way would be to cutaway, deploy your main in the plane and prepare for a TARD (stands for Totally Awesome Rapid Deployment, check in the BASE forum).

My short experience in the sport and my little knowledge about these unpacked jobs tell me it might not be the safest way to exit a plane :D

It's a good thing to try and think on "how can I have a faster/better deployment", discuss about it, ask/think what are the pro's and con's... But don't comme with "too quick" assumptions and decisions. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Its also helpful to rehearse pulling your reserve while getting out on a normal skydive (mental exercise, not actually pulling your reserve).

This is good advice Marcel, thank you. I run through my EPs a few times before every skydive, but have never practiced actually going for the silver out the door. It is certainly a worthwhile exercise. I do a lot of hop n' pops and I will practice emergency exits from time to time now.

Blue Skies everyone, stay safe up there.
-R
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, and try it. - Douglas Adams