valcore

Telemarketer Problems

Ok I am having a major problem with this one telemarketer. First of all she is calling me on a government line (military).

How she got this number I don't know, but I have tried telling her that the number is being traced and police will be there shortly. It did not work. Apparently she has the worst memory in the world because she called me again next day.

Apparently she has called everyone here in HeadQuarters, many different times.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to make this go away or does anyone know a law that would deal with this issue.

Darin

The most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I'm from the government and I'm here to help’. ~Ronald Reagan

30,000,000 legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

It did not work. Apperently she has the worst memory in the world because she called me the next day again.

Probably because she calls as many as 400 or 500 people a day... I hate telemarketers, but due to my hearing impairment and telephone devices for the deaf that I use at home, it is impossible for telemarketers to get ahold of me. All they'll get is a bunch of electronic beeps. HAH! :P

I don't know what to say that would help you. I guess you have caller ID so you know where it's coming from, and that's a start, but damned if I know what to do.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Everytime she calls ask her to hold and leave her on hold. She will get the point after awhile. :)

I did that once. It made me giggle.

Other ways to have fun: find out her name, and then sing it in songs instead of the original lyrics when she calls. Get as many people in on it as you can.

example: Her name is Janet, song is Roxanne.

Jaaaa net! You don't have to turn on the red light!
JAAAAa net! You don't have to sell your body to the night!

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I just talked to the head of our Telemarketing dept. and he said either conact DNC Solutions (on-line) or contact the local officials (DA) or even State Attorney Generals office. There are big fines involved to those that continue to call after repeatedly being told not to.Good Luck:)

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

Sweet thats, do you know if it is illegal to solicit on a government line?

The most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I'm from the government and I'm here to help’. ~Ronald Reagan

30,000,000 legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

I don't think so but I couldn't confirm this.
Telemarketers use a dialing engine that automatically calls then transfers to an operator. Most of the time they don't even see the number just a name and script associted to it. But call your local and state officials and it will end post haste. Make sure you have a name of the comapny and phonenumber if possible.

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

my favorite (when I recognize them on caller ID) is to pick up the phone and, before they open their mouth, start throwing my own sales pitch at them.

"Helloooooo, Ameriquest Mortgage! Is your website not performing as it should? Are your sales in a slump?......"

one time I did that and the chick just started laughing her ass off, and said that her husband needed a website, and I almost got a new client :D

He was too cheap, though :/

Plan B is to put them on hold and play some really annoying music into the mouthpiece.
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Everytime she calls ask her to hold and leave her on hold. She will get the point after awhile. :)

That's a fun one. I did that 4 times in one day to a person.

Her manager called later that day and said, "Do you think it's funny wasting peoples time?"

I responded, "You tell me" and hung up. ;)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Everytime she calls ask her to hold and leave her on hold.

Even better, listen for a few seconds and say "Oh! That sounds great, hang on a second I need you to talk to my husband/wife" They'll wait longer. Anyone heard the one guy who records all his conversations with telemarketers? I forget his name, but he has some hilarious stuff - the "... can you get blood stains out?" to the carpet cleaners that called cracked me up.

I get calls at work all the time from people trying to sell me toner - they get really confused when I tell them we don't have any printers. Nope, no fax machines either. Sometimes they'll ask about computer supplies - "we don't have any computers" It has reduced the volume of calls I get though :D

Someone from MCI called wanting to sell me long distance, as almost a programmed response I said "We don't have any phones here"
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

what did they say about not having any phones?

They were confused, there was a long akward moments, not quick enough on their feet, I said "Thanks, bye!"

And you can't register business number on donotcall.gov, so I'm guessing gov numbers aren't listed there either.

And I doubt a telezapper would work on a business line.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I put on a fake voice and pretend to get off on what they are saying. Crude, but effective.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

when she calls agen tell her to put this number on the do not call list. by law she has to stop calling if
she call agen you can report the compane to the fcc

in il you can charge the compane for lost time.
----------------------------------------------
All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you. J. R. T.

Here's what my brother did one time at home. He had a telemarketer call him one day and he just happened to have his 3-4 yr old daughter there nearby. he told them to hold on for a sec. and handed the phone to her. The person on the other end didn't have the heart to hang up on her. He let her talk for 5-10 mins, then took the phone back and asked them if they had enough and then hung up the phone. Worked quite well for him.

I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid!

I put together some stuff when I was being bombarded by telemarketers a few years ago. There's a federal (FCC governs telemarketing) law called the "telephone consumer protection act". I took some segments out of that and put together my own script. I kept the script under my phone and anxiously awaited the next victim.

In addition to getting their address and phone number, I also require them to mail me a copy of their policy on how they maintain their do-not-call list (this is a FCC requirement). They very rarely have any idea what I'm talking about and I have to explain the law to them... at this point they are desperately trying to get me off the line (but they won't hang up, because I have their address and phone number) and talk with their manager... but I take a certain amount of joy in hearing them squirm.

By the way, they are subject to a $10,000 fine from the FCC if they call you back within 10 years after requesting to be put on their do-not-call list.

Also make sure to get added to the do not call lists of ALL companies they make calls for (many telemarketing firms make calls for hundreds or thousands of companies and will take you off the one that they are calling you at the time... but none of the others).

here's the script I made

enjoy!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Don't be afraid of death,
be afraid of the unlived life.

you do realize that just because you are on that list does not mean telemarketers cannot call you. If you have purchased something from a company within the last 30 days (could be 90), they can contact you if they have your #. Also if you ever fill out a marketing survey or something (whether accidentally or purposely) they can contact you for a short while since it is consided welcomed soliciting. the do not call reg is mainly for unwelcomed soliciting.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

The suggestion earlier here, where you ask them to remove your name and number from their list is true! If, they call again, it's a big deal with the FCC. If, you get a telemarketer where you pick-up and there is silence and then they hang-up, they are 'homing-in' on when the best time is to call you. During that bit of silence, press the * button just as fast as you can. This 'scrambles-up' their equipment and deletes your number from their computer's memory bank.:D I've done it and it works.

Chuck