nate25

what gear is good?

I am new to the sport and I am starting to look for gear. I am 6'1" 200lbs. Give me some advice and opinions on gear. I have started talking to my instructors about it but I dont get to go every weekend so I want to gain as much knowledge as possible but I will most likely or actually will go with whatever they say. I think knowledge is power so please share some with me...
what are good...
prices?
Canopies?
what container are comfortable?
altimeters?
jump suits?
helmets?
other things not mentioned?
feel free to give any advice all around!

I am new to the sport and I am starting to look for gear. I am 6'1" 200lbs. Give me some advice and opinions on gear. I have started talking to my instructors about it but I dont get to go every weekend so I want to gain as much knowledge as possible but I will most likely or actually will go with whatever they say. I think knowledge is power so please share some with me...
what are good...
prices?

Used.

Canopies?

Nearly all of the mains released in the last 10 years in a shape (lightly tapered, like a Lotus/Pilot/Sabre2/Spectre) and size appropriate for your experience and jumping conditions (most likely a 230). I wasn't too fond of the Omega or Safire I demoed but other people like them - a lot of this is personal preference. I like nine cells more for skydiving too but that's also personal preference. Reserves should have span-wise reinforcing tapes which PD has always used, Aerodyne used on their SMART, and Precision has on the R-MAX.

Anything made to fit some one with about your torso size. Obviously this means that most student/rental rigs aren't as comfortable as they could be. If you're exceptionally big or small some companies offer more range in their yoke sizes that might fit you better. If you have breasts you might find that some rigs have a better chest strap location.

jump suits?

Ones made to your measurements. I like jumpsuits made by local riggers who know how to sew. They get measured by the person making the suit, get built quickly because there's no back log, and cost less because they aren't being made as a full time job and there isn't much overhead to run a sewing machine in a spare room or basement.

Gear owners are biased. Hard to admit that you paid a bunch of money for a hunk of shit.

As a new jumper you need to learn about gear from your rigger and your instructors.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Definately buy used for you container and canopies for your first rig.

get a nice altimeter, helmet and jumpsuit get a freefly suit because you can use it for most diciplines and they always come in handy.

you will only use your first rig for a couple of hundred jumps. be sure to get one that will allow for one canopy downsize.

most modern gear is all safe and comfortable, go with what you think looks good and get opinions from there.

for a canopy to strat out with I would suggest a safire2.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Hi Nate, I'm roughly your size at 6ft and 214lbs and I bought a used mirage container and a sabre 11 230 main, actually off this website. I'm extremely happy with what I got and hopefully should settle around a 190 main in the long run?? There are many jumpsuits to choose from, again I bought off here but you can buy new if you like and made to measure. The jumpsuit/altimeter etc will probably stay with you longer than your first rig so that could be worth getting what you want? All depends on money - or lack of it. Anyway I got an altimaster 3, the one that goes on your hand with the glow face, I would recommend those to start with. My helmet is an nvertigo x but to be honest I don't find it as comfortable as the cheaper student ones I used to borrow, I just thought it looked the best, I know that's not a good reason to buy. Oh and I also ended buying a pair of cheap gloves from Square 1 because when I landed I usually ended up on the floor so it's something to protect my hands. One more
thing, I got those skateboarders shoes because I saw everybody else at the DZ with them and I wanted to be part of the gang - but I found out that they actually make a huge difference - LOTS more comfortable to land in, I thought so anyway. Oh one more thing, you can borrow, well rent, equipment from your DZ to try out and see what you like best, that might help.

Thanks for the replies
Yall have give me some good insight for my search for gear. I have been looking on here for a while and it doesnt seem like there is much gear for someone my size. Are there other sites that have lots of used gear? (PM so it isnt advertising)
I hope to get back to the DZ soon and be able to talk to our local gear guy and hopefully he will have what I want and need at a price I can afford.

I'm still searching for my rig (container/canopies), but I've bought all my other gear so I'll comment on that.

Altimeters: Anything is fine really, I think it's nice to have either a visual or audible that can record data... it's nice knowing your freefall speeds. I bought an alti-track (digital with analog face, but records data) for my visual so I ended up getting a simple audible (solo). If you get a standard altimeter that doesn't record your jumps, make sure your audible has the feature.

Helemts: Spend a bit extra and get a nice quality one, it makes a big difference to comfort. Make sure you get one with a audible altimeter pocket. I bought a Cookie Rok (with the chincup), this helmet is absolutely orgasmic in terms of comfort... great for longer canopy flights.

Jumpsuit: Buy brand new, get it custom made... don't skimp on this, a nice quality suit will last and is THAT much better then an ill fitting suit. I went for the bulk of the suit in black so it doesn't get too dirty (switching canopies/still downsizing)... careful putting down $$ for a white suit if you're still having trouble landing.

Hi!
I had the same problem 6 month ago. I did alot of research and reading, chatting, mailing. And that is what i got:

I didnt care of price at all. I bought what i thought was best. I looked for comfort and safety.

My main chute is Safire2 169, wingloaded 1.2.
Awesome canopy. suuuper sweety opening. Very smooth flying. Fun to fly when you learn how to fly it (took me aroun 70 jumps). Endeles with flare.
Only thing neg. is that its too havy on front risers. Otherwise its ultimate canopy (I jumped many others: Safire1,2, Sabre1,2, spectre, PD, navigator, crossfire, electra, triathlon, springo and some others). safire2 is simply the best! (crossfire is n2:)

For my rig I bought Javelin. Realy comfy and greate rig. I was thinking about mirage as well, but they are not thats comfy (imho).

I got RW suit from merling suits. Looking awesome, fits realy well. Work very well for me in air.

I have Z1 helmet from parasport. Fits ok, i was expecting more tbh, but its work ok for me. Maybe i had too big expectaisions.

I have solo as audiable. And alti-track as altimeter.
I very very happy with that. just awesome!!!

And I got cypres2 and PD-reserve.

I strongest recomend to you Safire2, cypres2, alti-track and rw-suit from Merlins. I cant say enought how happy im with this items.

Now after I put 100 jumps on my rig, I selling it, loosing aroun 700$. I think it not soo bad.
I go now for a Crossfire2 129. PD-optoma as reserve and I think Im going to buy Javelin again. (I want mirage, but Javelin is way to comfy).

Other items Im going to buy now is Optima or NeoXS for swooping help.
M1 cookie helmet, and FF suit from ourgains. And wingsuit, but I not sure withc one.

I hope it helps you to choose you equipment! If you have any questions, PM and I can tell you more!
Blue skies
Blue skys and soft landings to all!

Prices: Expensive!

Canopies: PD Silhouette is great for beginners, I have one of those, and love it!

Containers: Aerodyne Icon. Easy to pack and comfortable to wear.

Altimeters: Altimaster Galaxy. simple and not too expensive,

Audible altimeters: Larsen & Brusgaard: Solo. Very easy to set and use and is very small.

Helmets: Factory Diver is lightweight, and an simple construction without a lot of parts that can come loose, and it's inexpensive for a full face.

Gloves: I use American football gloves, they have a very good grip and are durable, but I know jumpers who use riding gloves, golf gloves or even cross country ski gloves.

There is lots of good skydiving gear out there, and there is lots of great used gear to find too, ask around at your DZ, talk to your instructors, I'm sure you'll find something that you like. I just listed up things that I like.

And remember: buying used gear means more money for jumping.

;)

Edited to add:

I see someone here is making recommendations of AADs. Well, I can't really make a recommendation of one of those, I know few people who have any real experience with them, but the Cypres is known to fire when it's supposed to when it's turned on, so I have one. I'm sure there are other good AADs on the market too. An AAD can be a really good investment.

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

If you are a bigger guy, then IF you have the money, then there is nothing wrong with buying a a nnew container for your first rig. I help a lot of new jumpers at our dropzone buy their first rigs, and I say the same thing a lot of other riggers say.."There really are no Bad containers, just a lot of personal preferences"

I can say right off the bat though, if comfort is a key issue in purchasing gear, then you would be very wise to consider a Racer container. You can order them in all black "Shadow Racer" for a fraction of the cost and IMHO they are arguably the best designed and most comforable rig on the market.
=========Shaun ==========

What is good? Something that fits us well. Something we can afford. Something that is sized appropriately for our skill level. Something that lets us land safely and walk away. Something that helps us enjoy this wonderful experience of pretending we are birds, angels or rocks.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Thanks for the replies

Ok so who has some gear that isnt in the classifieds that they want to sell me?
I want a spectre 210 and PD reserve close to the same size and a container that will fit me and of course fit the canopies. 6'1" 200lbs average size.
Send me a Pm if you have something!!!