swoopgaz

Argus

Talking crap.....As in most of your posting around here!

:S

Would you care to expalian what was so crap about my post that has prompted you to make such a harsh statment.

I can show you photos of the damaged Vigils if you so please?

This is not the speakers corner. Keep your one eyed political viewpoints there please.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I have three Argus'es and I'm very happy with them.
Two are from 2007 and one from 2008.
No issues with them at all.
My girlfriend has one of them and she also has no issues.

The broken cable issue from Vigil2. Also happend here. broken connection causing bad contact in the unit.
Also saw several times broken screens on the Vigil.

Had a Vigil2 before and was also happy with it.
It's certainly a good product but I switched over to Argus because they are made for swooping and waterproof.

I have three Argus'es and I'm very happy with them.
Two are from 2007 and one from 2008.
No issues with them at all.
My girlfriend has one of them and she also has no issues.

The broken cable issue from Vigil2. Also happend here. broken connection causing bad contact in the unit.
Also saw several times broken screens on the Vigil.

Had a Vigil2 before and was also happy with it.
It's certainly a good product but I switched over to Argus because they are made for swooping and waterproof.

Argus is banned by goverment in Poland after a FATALITY:

Accident here:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3817893#3817893

Official government ban notice here:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3824882#3824882

Rek,

did the Argus kill the person, or did it just fail to rescue ?

IMHO,a "no pull" cannot be blamed on gear.

The report says that it did not function as advertised. It SHOULD function as advertised. That is the reason it is bought, isn't it?

I'll make you a deal - I will answer your question, when you answer mine.

all things in life 'should' function as advertised. You must be a real handful when your phone/computer/car/television/et al doesn't do its job.

You could respond with a comment regarding that this is a life saving piece of equipment but then you would also have to concede that sometimes medicines/medical procedures fail too.

Life sucks doesn't it? On the other hand if someone follows the procedures that they are taught then we would only have to feel sad about the people that were incapacitated. Hmmm, human failure there at some point too, how are you going to deal with that one?
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Rek,

The report says that it did not function as advertised. It SHOULD function as advertised. That is the reason it is bought, isn't it?

Any more news? Like using not the right reserveloop?
The AAD can only do its work when the whole system (container, reserve, loop, packing, ...) is reliable.

Jurgen

neh, its still a tie. One party says the argus didnt cut the loop, argus says it did ...

check out the photo's in the accident report.

I have an argus too because i swoop a lot and have no issues with it. Ofcourse what can one say about its operation when one has never had to use it for the purpose intended.

Imho it looks like a burble & subsequent entanglement reserve bridle freebag problem to me. It would have been better had they not moved the freebag after the accident, because there is no way the reserve came down like that neatly packed pile...

ofc i may be looking through argus glasses because i use one myself. But then again, considering the way skydiverek is burning the unit I cant be too bothered by that :P

Rek,

That is the reason why it is only grounded for use in student and tandem rigs. Any licensed skydiver does not have to use an AAD, at least here in Germany, and he should be able to base his choice of AAD on a educated opinion.

The loop was an original Cypres loop.

That is the reason why it is only grounded for use in student and tandem rigs.

Argus is grounded here in ALL rigs (not only student and tandem). Licensed skydivers can not jump with Argus, yet they can jump without any AAD. I'm not kidding - if you are licensed skydiver, and you have an Argus in your rig, then you have to turn it off prior to making a jump in Poland :oB|

cheers,
Bart ;)

That is the reason why it is only grounded for use in student and tandem rigs.

Argus is grounded here in ALL rigs (not only student and tandem). Licensed skydivers can not jump with Argus, yet they can jump without any AAD. I'm not kidding - if you are licensed skydiver, and you have an Argus in your rig, then you have to turn it off prior to making a jump in Poland :oB|

cheers,
Bart ;)

The posting with the translated Polish Airworthiness Directive said,
"All AAD Argus devices used in the Republic of Poland and used by tandem pilots and certified in Poland parachuting training organizations are grounded."
Is there a problem in the translation?

My reading of this translation is that it covers tandems and students, but doesn't say anything about regular licensed jumpers.

The posting with the translated Polish Airworthiness Directive said,

"All AAD Argus devices used in the Republic of Poland and used by tandem pilots and certified in Poland parachuting training organizations are grounded."
Is there a problem in the translation?

My reading of this translation is that it covers tandems and students, but doesn't say anything about regular licensed jumpers.

Then I guess in that case the translation would look more like this:

"All AAD Argus devices used in the Republic of Poland by tandem pilots and certified in Poland parachuting training organizations are grounded."

Anyway, the translation might be a bit confusing, but the Polish version is quite clear:
ALL argus aad's in Poland are grounded, and also argus aad's are not permitted
in tandem gear, and in rigs used by parachuting training organizations (that are certified in Poland) - that basically, also covers the case of polish tandems and skydiving schools operating outside of Poland.

cheers,
Bart ;)

"if you are licensed skydiver, and you have an Argus in your rig, then you have to turn it off prior to making a jump in Poland :oB|"

lol....typical government logic....almost like military intelligence...

better to turn it off and make sure it doesn't work than possibly risk that 99.999999% chance that it will work when needed.....

I have an argus in my rig....