rhys

What's the difference between a PD Storm and a Spectre?

The title says it all.

It seems wierd to me that they produced this canopy.

the spectre gets such a good rap, it seems weird PD have produced the storm.

Is it just a CRW canopy being sold as an allrounder?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I'd be curious to hear from PD what their plans are for the Spectre.

To the OP - do a search - the demo reviews I've read very recently on DZ.com report that it has a shallower glide slope and zippier turns than a Spectre, but openings just as soft.

I love my Pilot for its fairly comfy, on heading openings, responsive turns and landing flare, and especially for its shallow glide, which helps you get back to the DZ from a long spot. However, my spine really needs extra-soft openings these days, so I've been thinking of switching to a Spectre with Dacron lines, even though its glide is steeper. (or maybe getting my Pilot re-lined w/Dacron). But now I'm thinking a Storm w/Dacron might be the way to go. Time for me to start demo-ing.

From what I've gathered, the following are fact:

Storm has more flare power than Spectre, especially towards the botom.

Storm has slightly longer recovery arc than spectre.

Storm has faster forward speed.

I would not be surprised if it had a steeper glide, but do not know this for fact. The PD writeup says "it will feel like you are coming at the ground quicker on landing" which to me says more ground hungry, so yeah you are moving forward faster, but down faster also....Still trying to figure out why they just didn't advertise it as a Spectre on steroids.

From what I've gathered, the following are fact:

Storm has more flare power than Spectre, especially towards the botom.

Storm has slightly longer recovery arc than spectre.

Storm has faster forward speed.

I would not be surprised if it had a steeper glide, but do not know this for fact. The PD writeup says "it will feel like you are coming at the ground quicker on landing" which to me says more ground hungry, so yeah you are moving forward faster, but down faster also....Still trying to figure out why they just didn't advertise it as a Spectre on steroids.

From what others have said in other reviews the Strom has a flatter glide angle, which probably is giving it a bit more forward speed than the Spectre.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3196396;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

And looking at the line trim specs on PDs site the lines are quite a bit shorter 10 inches shorter compared to the Spectre.

I think the Storm is a Spectre2, but with so much new good stuff under the hood, it deserved a whole new name.

I am sure the Spectre sales will be hurt drastically by this product, but I bet some Sabre 2 prospects buy it also.

I think you should get a demo and try it out for yourself. I was impressed.

here's my .02 having recently demoed both. a spectre 150 in may and a storm 150 in june.

both are virtually the same when it comes to openings and braked flight characteristics. with the storm not sniviling as long, but opening just as soft, as the spectre.

in full flight the storm's glide angle is less steep and it's turns seemed snappier to me.

if i had the $$ to buy a new canopy right now, of the 2 i'd get a storm. cheers
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

If I am correct, the Storm was to replace the Lightening, which was notorious for its lack of flare power, AND the Spectre.

But skydivers are very brand/name conscious, so the Spectre may be around for longer than expected. We just got a Storm 190 for the rental gear at the DZ that I work at and the people that have jumped it seemed to rather enjoy it.
Not again!

I liked the demo so much that i did indeed buy me one!!!! WooHoo! 170 stock off the shelf... I will get it just in time to NOT be able to jump it this past weekend... :(

finally found my freebag saturday in row 73 of an enormiss cornfield.... HEY HECTOR??? I need another repack dude!!!!

cant wait to hook this bad boy uP and let'er rippp next wknd... Im stoked! THX PD for a great wing!

here's my .02 having recently demoed both. a spectre 150 in may and a storm 150 in june.

both are virtually the same when it comes to openings and braked flight characteristics. with the storm not sniviling as long, but opening just as soft, as the spectre.

in full flight the storm's glide angle is less steep and it's turns seemed snappier to me.

if i had the $$ to buy a new canopy right now, of the 2 i'd get a storm. cheers

and i will add the improved bottom end lift. The storm IMO "perfects" the spectre by increasing its flare power. Sold me with only one demo jump on it.

I can't comment on the flight charachtaristics, as I've never flown a storm, but my personal opinion is that they designed it to fill the same role that the Triathlon plays in Aerodyne's lineup, with both freefall and CRW moels available. I think that within a few years, you'll see the Spectre and the Lightning phased out...
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I think that within a few years, you'll see the Spectre and the Lightning phased out...

You won't see the lightning phased out for bigger canopy formations sake. Unless someone figures out something with a shallower trim. Most other CRW friendly canopys don't give you enough working time due to steep trim.

People do predict the storm will be fine comp canopy.

here's my .02 having recently demoed both. a spectre 150 in may and a storm 150 in june. both are virtually the same when it comes to openings and braked flight characteristics. with the storm not sniviling as long, but opening just as soft, as the spectre. in full flight the storm's glide angle is less steep and it's turns seemed snappier to me.

Just finished my first weekend demo'ing the Storm 135. I have lots of jumps on the Spectre and didn't want one, moving from that to a Sabre2, with more than 1000 jumps on it, looking for a canopy that would land better. I have been jumping a Stiletto for the past two years or so, and I love the flight characteristics and the landings, but don't like the openings unless I or my husband pack it. It's hurt me a few times.

My first impressions of the Storm: (1) it does NOT fly like a Spectre, at all. Doesn't open like one either. (2) plenty of flare at the bottom end, not exactly like a Stiletto, but it seems to like a two-stage flare like the Stiletto. Turns are crisp and snappy but not the same as a Stiletto but MILES better than the heavy toggle pressure of the Spectre. (3) Glide angle is much better than a Spectre, and landings seemed pretty good except I did have to run a little because I think I didn't complete the flare (because of being used to the very narrow control range of the Stiletto). (4) Braked flight and light turbulence really wowed me: both improvements over the Spectre.

Bottom line: openings were snappy, nothing like the Spectre, flight characteristics were good, turns took a little time to get started but toggle pressure was light at 1.1 wing loading, and landings were way way better than a Spectre but I would need more time to dial in the landings before I could compare them to a Stiletto.

I have another weekend to test it out before I decide anything, but my first impressions are really good.

DJan

I put 20 jumps on a demo Storm 190 this week, with landing conditions varying from no wind to heavy wind.

The Storm IMO is not a replacement for the Spectre (on which I put 20 jumps in june, 12 of which within the same weekend), but a logical next step. If you have been jumping a spectre and are looking for sometyhing new, an equally sized Storm will get you a completely new challenge.
As remarked before, openings are soft (barring one, but I earned that slammer) and mainly on heading provided you manage to pack a completely new canopy decently.
Toggle turns are snappy compared to the Spectre and 'predictable' in that it's easy to do (series of) full 360s on heading.
Front riser pressure is quite high, a 180 to 270 (up high of course) is about all I can manage.

I m impressed with the glide and flare of the canopy, barring two I have stood up all my landings, the two PLFs being a result of landing out in grain that was somewhat higher than anticipated, and the other when my canopy fell out of the air the last few feet in some moderate turbulence just as I was about to flare.

EDIT: the canopy recovers nicely from turbulence as well; my most scary off landing to date was also last week, in a small field next to the forest I'd opend above, with severe turbulence down to maybe fifty feet. Then my baby found a spot of clean air and before I knew it and much to my surprise I had done a textbook standup landing with all bones still unbroken. I take no credit for this, I only survived that landing.
However, it was either this field, or maybe clearing the forest with feet to spare and landing downwind on the airfield between the tents, the forest and the fence while the windsock was completely stretched out.

In summary, I have found the Storm is an awesome ride, while still a relatively forgiving canopy - at a WL of 1.1, that is.
All that's left to do now is to wait until my own canopy arrives..
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom