maLUCo

CYPRES vs. VIGIL I do not which one to choose ...

And just how common is for it for AADs to fire on landing?

In the last week a cypres 2 fired on landing at my DZ. Highly experienced jumper, HP canopy and landing, only ruined his swoop and the cutter...
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

In the last week a cypres 2 fired on landing at my DZ. Highly experienced jumper, HP canopy and landing, only ruined his swoop and the cutter...

could you find out if his cypres was supposed to be sent back as part of the recent recall airtec put out or not?

this is happening all too often lately, bad news for airtec, ood news for Vigil and argus.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

And just how common is for it for AADs to fire on landing?

Seems like its getting more common. That video is one of 3 VIGIL misfires that I've heard about from Brazil. My friend there has mentioned that they're considering a ban on them as well.

Interesting. What is his wing loading? What kind of speeds is he getting in the swoop. We have lots of instructors that have Cypres2's and swoop on almost every landing, including myself, even a fun jumper who is pushing the wing loading that I would be uncomfortable swooping with an AAD not made for swooping, and have had no fires on swoops.

I put up the video because I saw this post and was sent the video at the same time. I guess watching a Vigil2 fire on a pretty weak swoop will still somehow equal "Vigil rulz, Cypres droolz" stuff though.

At my dz, we're slow to adopt new technologies... and in the AAD market, I'm thankful for this.
Oh, hello again!

Concerning this case the user made a great mistake. He tried twice to start his Vigil while a error message was displayed. He tries a third time and the Vigil showed a normal set up. DON JUMP A UNIT IF AN ERROR MESSAGE SHOWED UP ON THE DISPLAY UNIT. He played he lost..
This Vigil has a problem and it shows it to the user. Just send it back, don't play...
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

Concerning this case the user made a great mistake. He tried twice to start his Vigil while a error message was displayed. He tries a third time and the Vigil showed a normal set up. DON JUMP A UNIT IF AN ERROR MESSAGE SHOWED UP ON THE DISPLAY UNIT. He played he lost..
This Vigil has a problem and it shows it to the user. Just send it back, don't play...

Isn't this a good reason not to trust BISTs (Built In Self Tests) over the life of a system? If the Vigil passed its self-test on the third try and showed a normal set-up, it wasn't that unreasonable to conclude that it was good to jump. To be fair, it's not easy to design a really good self-test for any system, far less in the absence of the primary parameter the system is observing - altitude-induced changes in air pressure.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll take the higher life-cycle cost and accumulated experience of Airtec until the test jumpers have finished with the Vigil.

Intermittent faults are very common in electrical and electronic devices. These are often caused by poor connection/loose leads etc.

Any unusual behaviour from an AAD, especially during a startup sequence, is an indication that the AAD shouldn't be jumped.

This applies to all manufacturers of AADs, not just Vigil.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Interesting. What is his wing loading? What kind of speeds is he getting in the swoop

My mistake, it was a cypres 1. Canopy was a XF15 89 (cross braced 89 sq ft canopy from jojowings) not sure about precise wing loading but >2.2. Swoop was a 540 and started from 1100'.

Yes, every landing is a swoop and he is making around 1000 a year at present. The other 999 didn't result in the cypres firing.

BTW the regulations here now require all jumpers to have an AAD.