BigDale

Harness Very Uncomfortable

I am new to skydiving and I have been having problems with the harness digging into my legs. It is unbearably painful at times and ruins the canopy ride. For some reason I am sensitive in that area and experience a lot of pain.

With the exception of buying my own gear with a lot of padding, any suggestions, anyone else have this problem?

I looked at possibly wearing padded shorts like you can buy for skateboarding, or wearing an athletic supporter.

Here is an example of what I mean:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rwWIFGfxL._SS400_.jpg

If anyone has suggestions, please let me know, the instructors keep yelling at me when I have to let go of the toggles to adjust myself in the harness.

Thank you.

I had this problem when I was going through AFF also. A lot of it is that I'm a very skinny guy, so no natural padding, and early AFF you're pulling at 6k, so your canopy ride is 2x to 3x longer than it will be in the future.

A quick, dirty and ugly fix would be to get some padded socks, cut the toes off and slip that tube over the leg strap padding before you put the rig on. Three or four layers should give you somewhat more cushioning for under $10.

Also, make very sure your leg straps are good and snug. If they're at all loose, when you open you'll be slammed down onto the straps harder. I bruised pretty badly if mine weren't tight enough.

You're not unusually sensitive; you're just as sensitive as every other new skydiver who finds the one-size-fits-none rental rigs uncomfortable. The ultimate cure is to buy a harness and container that really fits you. You'll want to do that after you've got some jumps and get your local instructors and riggers to help you find the right rig for you. Until you get to that point, if there's something you can wear that provides some padding and more comfort, then do that. Adjusting the leg straps properly is very important. Get your instructor to help. One thing I've noticed is that some of that sensitivity goes away as you get more experience, even if you're on the same gear you used as a student. I don't know if you get a better feel for how to adjust the straps or learn to tense and relax just right to absorb the opening shock better or what, but after a while you'll be more comfortable even on that student gear. Hang in there.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

after opening, checking your canopy and the sky around you

hold the risers and lift yourself up to take the tension off the leg straps then let yourself back down, that may help some
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

1. Snug legstraps.

2. Legstraps *high* in the crotch

3. SNUG legstraps

4. Pull your junk forward and out of the way.

5. Did I mention *SNUG* legstraps?

(tongue in cheek) It's better to have a line-over than a ball-under!!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I have always warned my first jump male students to avoid wearing thight jeans since they don't allow the leg straps to be seated in the bend of the groin. I told them to wear slack pants to allow their genitals not being caught below the leg strap at all. If not, watch out at the opening! Fortunately girls don't have that kind of problem.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I used to have the same problem when I first started.
Im sure it was to do with the student rigs..

However, after about jump 8 or 9 (i did 15 jumps in the first month) it got a lot better and didnt hurt as much...

Now ive got my own equipment, and snug legstraps definitely make a difference.. but i still find after about 3 or 4 jumps a day my thigh muscles hurt... but its like ive been working out at gym or similar.. Ive just learnt to live with it.. Its all good by the next weekend:)