Diversgodown

ATTENTION COMPUTER GEEKS!!! Help please

I am in the market for a computer and was wondering what brands to stay away form and what are the better brands? Also I don't want to spend a limb to get it. I want to be able to burn CD's and Dvd's, down load photos and editing, and view boobies of course!!! I was leaning towards Dell 3000.
What is all the DVD/RW + - stuff. If anyone can give some advice thad be great. Thanks

***Glory Favors the Bold***

I am in the market for a computer and was wondering what brands to stay away form and what are the better brands? Also I don't want to spend a limb to get it. I want to be able to burn CD's and Dvd's, down load photos and editing, and view boobies of course!!! I was leaning towards Dell 3000.
What is all the DVD/RW + - stuff. If anyone can give some advice thad be great. Thanks

I'm fond of Dell and HP.. :ph34r:

I'm fond of Dell and HP.. :ph34r:

Well i guess my decision is made then :S:S[:/]:P

***Glory Favors the Bold***

French fries are great, but IMHO, HP's suck. Dell are pretty good though.

The best option would be to have somebody build you one. AMD CPU's are the shiznit. If you are looking at processors and notice that the AMD processor costs more than the intel, just remember that a 1.5ghz AMD typically runs about as fast as a 3.0ghz pentium 4. They are just designed differently.

If you want to get all the service and support, and don't plan on doing a whole lot of upgrading in the future, I'd go dell.
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

If you're looking for a Dell, check this site daily.
http://www.slickdeals.net
They have great deals on Dells and other computer stuff daily. You could save 10-40% or more on a new Dell computer or other accessories.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

They're different formats. Unfortunately the burners originally really have a standard. It's why you'll hear talk at your DZ about tandem DVD refunds occasionally. A burner should burn any format DVD media, dont get one that won't.

Most newer players will handle both formats fine, but in general I have had more luck with DVD - to play on my older DVD player.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

It all depends on what you want to do with it.

Dell are good, but not if you want to upgrade them later.

There is a lot of proprietry stuff in there.
And cables are not regular lenghts etc.

If you plan on upgradeing and working on it yourself, don't have a dell.

If you want a box that you will never open, Dells can be pretty good.

Personaly I have a PC that everything inside is "Off The Shelf" if anything goes wrong, I can fix it myself, I can upgrade how I want, I know exactly what is there, and how to support it myself, without having to rely on a helpline

--------------------------------------------------
You only have one life, make the most of it.

I would say it all depends what you're going to be using the PC for.

Surfing and email;
Dell or a mass manf. computer. Something you're not going to upgrade much, if at all. Intell or AMD both will be good for these applications. Also make sure you get a minimum of 512mg ram.

Gaming or graphics intensive;
AMD 2.5ghz or higher (forget Intell for gaming) 1gig or more of PC3200 memory, last thing is make sure you're getting a high end graphics (video) card. nVidia has the faster card on the market right now, give it another 3 months and ATI will have topped them in speed but only by a small % (1-5% max) I wouldn't go mass manf like Dell or HP. Look into having a computer shop build it for you. Maybe asked a friend who is into computers. You might be able to help and learn something. You can wind up spending a fortune on a cutting edge gaming rig. ($3-4k easy) Or you can hunt for bargains, buy some stuff that's been on the market for awhile and save $2k

As for the Harddisk drive 120gig is decent for a small surfing rig. Where dual 250gig (1/2 a Terabyte) HDD Raid setups for gaming rigs aren't uncommon.

For CD / DVD writers and readers. Someone earlier said try and find one that uses universal media. Nothing worse then spending a couple hours burning a video or a massive CD Collection only to find out the media isn't compatable with the unit you're trying to play it on.

Brand names are really nice comfy things. They're normally more expensive then some of the off brands.

An awesome site to get reviews and pretty biased opinions is http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html I remember this site when he was just a newsgroup and a BBS. Wow how things have changed.

As I said at the top of this, it all depends on what you want to do with it. In computers just like cars and bikes.. Speed costs.. how fast do you want to go.

Hope some of my tips or opinions have helped. Now buy me beer :ph34r:

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Toms hardware might be a little heavy for someone just thinking about a Dell.

How about building your own using Ars Technica's system guide?

3 basic models, as simple as buying all the parts listed and then plugging them into each other (it's amazingly simple, like a little jigsaw puzzle). here

Otherwise I'd say stick with one of the larger vendors, they're all equally crap/good depending on what you're looking for. If you're a complete novice and computers terrify you then i'd go with a large friendly dealer as you're not going to really notice many differences between a standard machine and something you build out of good parts. Gateway do suck tho.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.