teabag

canopy for soft openings

I want to get a new canopy that is as reliable as possible for soft openings, given correct packing etc. (I'm recovering right now from a really bad one).
Seems like a Spectre with dacron lines is the way to go,
Any comments ?

Thanks...

I made four jumps on a demo Spetre 190 in 1997. Two hop and pops from about 2000' and two terminal deployments.

All four took over 700' to open. Obviously not the canopy for someone who is willing to open his pack at 2000'.:S

But the were soft!

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Sabre2s are designed for soft openings.

yea yea, packing etc, but I have never had what I would call a soft opening on my sabre2.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

You should read Performance Designs article about the factors contributing to opening forces. There are 5 factors: 1) pilot chute size and material, 2) line stows proper length, 3) rubber bands the right size, 4) your position at the pull time and 5) last but not the least, slider grommets against the stoppers (after the canopy bagging and before setting the first rubber band comb the lines upward to make sure the slider grommets are still against their stoppers). Leaving an inch or 2 between the grommets and their stoppers could make a very hard opening. Also BIll Booth says that a riser cover (with tuck tab) giving up a fraction of a second before the other one can make a hard opening too and this is the reason why he is offering the Vector III and Micron with riser cover equiped with magnets which hold the riser covers with a constant force of about 5-8 lbs if I remember. Remember that any parachute can slam you hard enough to cause you injuries and even death. There are cases where jumpers suffered aorta rupture and broken femur.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I don't know anything about your experience level, since you haven't filled out your profile, but the Crossfire is the softest opening canopy I've ever jumped. It's not even close.

I also have a Spectre, but I would not describe its openings as particularly soft (or particularly hard). The openings are extremely consistent, on-heading, and forgiving of sloppy packing, however.

I had a problem with fast openings because of my speed, i'm 112 kg out of the door and i'm only 1.70 meters long, my fallspeed is between 210 - 230 km.
A couple of weeks ago i bought a spectre 190 and i'm loving it, even for me it takes about 800 feet to open and it's very comfortable.
I also demo a pilot but that snivel is longer than the spectre.

yea yea, packing etc

Yup ;)

I have a 170 that almost always opens with closed end cells and the slider about 1/2 way up. My rig is in the shop so I jumped a demo 170 last weekend that opened with closed end cells and the slider 1/2 up. Before the 170 I had a 150 that opened a little faster but still very softly. Maybe wingloading has a little bit of an effect on opening speeds?

Average snivel on the 170 is about 800-1000 feet. The 150 averaged 600-700.
Owned by Remi #?

Seems like a Spectre with dacron lines is the way to go,
Any comments ?
Thanks...

demoed a spectre 150 mid may and a storm 150 mid june. both opened very nicely with the storm seeming to open a bit quicker but just as nice as the spectre. i followed PD's packing method and with both canopies there was a time or two that i rushed a pack job to make a load but still had nice openings.

as with any canopy demoing is the best way to know if you'll like it. cheers.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Many thanks for all the replies.
I have about 1000 jumps, so I will try out your suggestions after my neck has recovered sufficiently.
I've had a sabre 1 for a long time and it's been a great canopy (I used to shoot a lot of video too) but it gave me a good slam the other day after some work was done it. I probably just need a smaller pilot chute, but I think it's time for a new canopy anyway.

Gerry

Well, I believe you all. Personnally the softer opening canopy for me so far is my Katana 170 (average of 600 ft opening vertical distance calculated on 10 jumps using the graphs downloaded from the Vigil II and the Protrack). I am a big guy and had a Sabre 2-170 (average on 10 jumps was 340 ft) before which was OK for opening. We all have to realize something guys, softer means longer vertical distance opening. I consider that a canopy opening with a vertical distance of 800-1000 ft is too much.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.