dzierott

audible altimeters - recomendation

I'm fairly new to the sport and want to learn freeflying. (A-license, 82 jumps) It was recommended that I get an audible altimeter. I'd like one that logs my jumps.
Looks to me like the choice would be between a Protrack or an Optima.
Anyone have any suggestions on which one might be better?
thanks

Yes a safe approach is an ordinary audible altimeter like the Optima and a wrist altimeter (with computer if you can afford it) like the Altitrack. Personnally I have a Protrack (audible altimeter with computer) but its sound is not loud enough when I am busy turning points. That's why I have also a TIME OUT (not on the market anymore) which wakes me up plus my Altimaster 2 on the wrist.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Optima + Viso or Neptune.

Optima + Neptune, thant what I use since AFAIK Viso doesn't log jumps either...
The interest of the Neptune is that it can be used either as an audible or an wrismount altimeter (it's bulkier than the Optima though, my helmet is a bit tight, i'm not sure I could fit a Neptune in, while the Optima is no problem)

Optima and altitrack.

The optima has a variable sound pitch to allow you to adjust the sound to your preference, landing pattern alarms for accurate landings and it can have a LED attachment for later on when you might do camera jumps(of if you go deaf).

The altirack logs jumps, is easy to read and you can use polarised sunglases when using them. I am not a fan of digital readout altis. The reason I don't like them is; to differentiate between 5900' and 5100' takes slightly longer than a quick glance at a needle.

but that is just my opinion.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Optima and altitrack.

The optima has a variable sound pitch to allow you to adjust the sound to your preference, landing pattern alarms for accurate landings and it can have a LED attachment for later on when you might do camera jumps(of if you go deaf).

The altirack logs jumps, is easy to read and you can use polarised sunglases when using them. I am not a fan of digital readout altis. The reason I don't like them is; to differentiate between 5900' and 5100' takes slightly longer than a quick glance at a needle.

but that is just my opinion.

I agree, I have the same configuration and the altirack is awesome and the optima works perfectly.

Optima + Neptune, thant what I use since AFAIK Viso doesn't log jumps either...

You don't even know so why do you state anything???

Item: Viso
Manufacturer: Larsen & Brusgaard (630 Hits)

Description:
The VISO comprises three instruments:
Digital Alti-Meter- Stores detailed altitude information about the last jump for later review
Digital Speed-Meter- Stores detailed speed information about the last jump for later review
Jump Counter- Electronic logbook, storing and displaying information about the last 200 jumps.
- Can be used to keep track on the number of jumps on a rig.
- Can be reset at any time, but time and date for the last reset remains stored and cannot be erased.
VISO™ FEATURES:

Digital Altimeter or Speed-Meter
Electroluminescent backlight for night jumping. Can remain ON for several hours.
Automatic calibration to local elevation LCD screen for easy and intuitive operation and information review
Logbook with playback of altitude/speed profile for the last jump.
Operational at sub-zero temperatures
Always ON. No need to be powered OFF

The fact that it does not have port for downloading does not imply that it would not log....

Optima + Viso would work better than Optima + Neptune, because they are sharing the hardware too.
I usually have 10-30m meter difference indicated between my Neptune and Optima.

i got an optima first, after i was sure freeflying was for me, i got a solo too. i plan on getting the N3 from altitrack when it comes out to use as a wrist altimeter..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Hi Superwoman, did your altitrack agree with your Neptune about the data registered? I have seen differences between my Protrack and the Parasport Skytronics on the same jump.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I'm not sure the OP is really ready to swoop (and should not trust blindly your altimeter for swooping, it's only a tool to get the best setup before engaging your swopp)

Futhermore, I've not seen any discrepancy between my Optima and my Neptune, either in freefall or under canopy. So it's not always the case...

I'm not sure the OP is really ready to swoop.

I'd say not yet....

I've not seen any discrepancy between my Optima and my Neptune, either in freefall or under canopy.

Check altitude indicated on Neptune when your Optima start beeping at 305m, check your altitude indicated on Neptune after landing. Do you see negative numbers? I'd rather know the limitations of your instruments.

Id choose Optima + Viso if I don't need downloadable logs. Same hardware would work better in pair or at least sharing errors in measurement.

Negative altitude? I think it must have happened once or twice in 150 jumps, usually on hot days, but only with minor variation (like -1 m).

Concerning canopy alerts, each time I checked, they spot on or very very close (maybe 2-3 meter max).
But your argument on the hardware is good, even if I have a slight preference for the Neptune (more features, more user friendly but more expensive)

Optima + Viso would work better than Optima + Neptune, because they are sharing the hardware too.

That might be a reason for one not to use an audible and altimeter from the same manufacturer

Than which one do you trust if they don't agree?
I don't really use any of them under 100-150m, I trust my eyes only.