gemini

Can't do something nice for some people

Sunday evening and it was getting pretty late. Jumping had slowed down, but a 4-way team was still practicing. The team had to finish before 6PM because one jumper had to fly his plane back home before dark.

The Otter was 4 jumpers short of the minimum load and everyone had been sitting around for awhile. There's a few of us around who will buy multiple slots once in awhile just to get a plane up and I decided this was one of those times.

I used one ticket even though I had "finished" jumping for the day and gave the other 3 slots away. One to my packer, and one each to two friends who I thought had just finished their 4-way team jumps.

Plane flew and everyone had fun and a good safe jump.

When I got to the packing room, I overheard the team leader chewing out the two guys who had taken the free slots because they had not finished jumping and now both their rigs were unpacked and the team was on the next load.

Even though everyone was thanking me for buying the slots, I felt bad because of my disruption of the one teams schedule.

Later as the jumper/pilot was getting ready to fly home he came up to me and forced $20 into my hand to help share the cost of the slots I bought. Then a little after that one of the jumper/pilots teammates came up and gave me another $20 as his share of the slots. Finally at dinner Sunday night, two good friends (husband was shooting camera for the jumper/pilots team) paid for both my wife and my dinner without me knowing it as his way of saying thanks.

It may have been some of that karma we discussed on here last week.

In any event I think I may have come out way ahead on this deal and 3 guys got free jumps to boot!

Edit: Forgot to add, my packer wanted to call it even too! I made 4 jumps and he said the free jump offset the 4 pack jobs. I told him I couldn't do that since that was how he made his living. Besides what kinda' free jump do you get when you end up paying for it in kind?

Really amazing how many people stepped up after I had taken the first step. You guys are the greatest!

Blue skies,

Jim

Good on you Jim. People like you are what makes this sport so much fun.

The team had to finish before 6PM because one jumper had to fly his plane back home before dark.

Was this George?

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

That was my team that benefited from your generosity!!!

I thought we were "done" because the load was quite bare...then YAY!! We're on a 10 minute call!!

Wild Wings is extremely grateful and we owe ya!! That 1 extra practice jump will certainly make a difference in our performance at TSL 4.

You are geniunely one of the "good uns!"

Blues back at cha!:)
Scari

is

Jim:

Thank you so much for your generosity! Our team was overwelmed by the jesture! I felt the need to contribute something... If being nice gets people doing nice things back and for others, we can have a lot of fun out there!

All:

If you don't know Jim, he can be found at the DZ organizing loads and coaching other skydivers, including a lot of newbees. A great guy... one of the "good eggs".

Richard
Richard Rothery

And to think we were almost short one slot to make the plane fly on Friday afternoon......we were going to each pay a little more to cover the empty slot.........How come you don't jump on Fridays anymore?:P:P:P Someone got on the load though. We could have had a really nice sunset load, but the pilot wanted to get the new plastic fence put up before the weekend.:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

If you don't know Jim, he can be found at the DZ organizing loads and coaching other skydivers, including a lot of newbees. A great guy... one of the "good eggs".

He's also fun to BS with on the CARVAIR...

Brrr, I shiver just thinking of that bird, but I gotta admit, being in her and being recognized by so many people kinda (ok, REALLY) freaked me out...
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

How come you don't jump on Fridays anymore?

Current client wants me at work on Fridays! :( (Note I said at work. Doesn't mean they have given me anything to do for the last 8 weeks! Conversation on Wednesday usually goes:

Me: Sure nothing to do. I think I will take off Friday to jump.

Client: No something may come up. Hang around here and play on dz.com for a few hours.

Well I ad libbed the last sentence, but the rest is true!!!

Blue skies,

Jim

He'll even be a "test drop dummy" on skydives. "We need you to fly this slot so that we can work on so & so."

Let's just say - yes, generous and BRAVE (he still jumps with me on occasion):D

Jim is definitly "one in a million". He has helped our 8-way team out in more ways than you can count and never complained once when we made him creep 20 times in a weekend.

Thanks Jim for all of your contributions to SPX8 this year. I hope you will be joining us this Sunday for our jump.
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

Hey, that was really cool of you!! Obvioulsy people realized you had stepped up and helped out. I was at Skydive Parkton one time for a weekend and the CASA they had scheduled did not show up, it had a last minute military mission. The DZO, John decided that since a large number of people had shown up, he start flying his 2 Cessna 182 and offered free loads, first come, first serve!! I did 6 hop and Pops that day. He also organized an informal swoop competition, all for free. It was an awesome weekend!!
At the end of the weekend, almost everyone out there that had jumped went up to manifest and threw some money up there. I figured I would have spent over a $100 that weekend, so I gave him all the cash in my pocket.
When I was jumping there, they were just getting off their feet, now they have expanded big time....the good things happen to good people!
glad to be here!!