Megatron

Downsizing: 190 to 170

Hey whats up Dave! I figured someone from Aggieland would recognize me as Megatron haha ..yeah man, I knew that Silhouette wasnt ZP so I guessed F111 by default..didnt know about hybrid. Let me know next time you do another canopy course, Id love to take it!

voilsb, you and I seem to have had the exact same experience downsizing. Thanks for the info.

I figured a 1.3 wl would really start to get into the thick of active canopy flight. Should be fun!

Unless you're comfortable landing down wind, cross wind, up hill, down hill, 90 degree turns from 50 feet, landing with some speed from the front risers, turning after starting to flare, landing on pavement, and landing in tight areas you really don't want to do that.

Even then it's still not a good idea.

Sooner or later a bunch of mistakes are going to stack up (get out with a long spot, don't open high, try to make it back, find a landing area at 1000 feet, don't notice the power lines at altitude because it's the sunset load) and you're going to be doing a few of those things in combination.

No, just trying to slam others with less experience than you when their advice doesn't match yours.

I'm sorry, I have first hand experience and I'm not a librarian...

And there you are again - how about showing where the advice I passed on was incorrect?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Imagine standing in a swimming pool. In one hand, you have a square piece of screen, or mesh. In the other, you have a square piece of plastic. Now imagine running forward with your hands just on the surface. What do you think will happen? Think screen-F111, plastic-ZP.

When I moved from a Navigator to a Sabre2, I noticed an incredible difference. All good.
I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313

Have a crack of the Sabre2/Safire2 (haven't jumped the Pilot) in the 190 range, you might find that designs are a lot of fun even when lightly loaded.

I'm getting a massive kick out of landing my Sabre2 on zero wind days and it's loaded under 1:1.

I jumped PD f1-11 canopies though prior to my transition to ZP so the change was huge, the Silhouette is probably a pretty funky canopy.

Have a crack of the Sabre2/Safire2 (haven't jumped the Pilot) in the 190 range, you might find that designs are a lot of fun even when lightly loaded.

I'm getting a massive kick out of landing my Sabre2 on zero wind days and it's loaded under 1:1.

I jumped PD f1-11 canopies though prior to my transition to ZP so the change was huge, the Silhouette is probably a pretty funky canopy.

There is nothing "funky" about the Silhouette, there are reasons it's a canopy by both beginning and experienced skydivers.

There is nothing "funky" about the Silhouette, there are reasons it's a canopy by both beginning and experienced skydivers.

Ill vouch for that.

To the OP:
I fly a Sabre2 170 loaded at 1.28 and absolutely love it. They do tend to want to dive more than the Silhouette's Ive jumped but it isn't unmanageable. I think you will be quite surprised (in a good way) with the plane out and flare. It comes in great both at full glide and in brakes. I took a downwinder with mine a couple of weeks ago and had to do nothing more than a light jog upon touchdown.;)
Muff #5048

I was in the same situation as you.

I downsized from a PD190 to a ZP170.. Also F111 to ZP...

One sentence... Best thing I ever did!

What he said!

Having said that.. I moved to a Spectre 170, which has less forward glide than a 9 cell ZP canopy.

Do a few hop n pops on the new canopy and open high. This will give you an opportunity to do some practise flares and have a play with the canopy before having to land it.

Good luck and have fun!

xx

Sarah
www.sneale-create.com

Unless you're comfortable landing down wind, cross wind, up hill, down hill, 90 degree turns from 50 feet, landing with some speed from the front risers, turning after starting to flare, landing on pavement, and landing in tight areas you really don't want to do that.

Even then it's still not a good idea.

Sooner or later a bunch of mistakes are going to stack up (get out with a long spot, don't open high, try to make it back, find a landing area at 1000 feet, don't notice the power lines at altitude because it's the sunset load) and you're going to be doing a few of those things in combination.

Couldn't agreed more, I'd like to know how many people that are recommending advice here can say they've done all those.

Before you downsize, you should look at this, and make sure you can do everything on this list (multiple times). http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=47 Even fewer people here could say they've completed the entire list. Be careful who you take advice from. :)
Talk with your instructors about the tasks on the list prior to trying them.

Cheers,

Blink

Before you downsize, you should look at this, and make sure you can do everything on this list (multiple times).

Sure and 3 front flip and 2 back flip....

Even fewer people here could say they've completed the entire list. Be careful who you take advice from. :)

Than what? Just imagine that you don't have any slope in the place you jump.....

:S

Good judgment coming from experience, and lots of experience coming from bad judgment.

I'd like to know how many people that are recommending advice here can say they've done all those.

Ohhh, I don't know, down wind and cross wind sound scary, especially when adding speed from yoinking on a front riser...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sure and 3 front flip and 2 back flip....

Yeah, because that's relevant... :S

So as long as you can land your canopy in a big wide open field with no obstacles, anyone else in the air, and perfect winds, then you must be a master of your canopy, and should downsize...yeah, perfect logic...

Than what? Just imagine that you don't have any slope in the place you jump.....

Did you read the article? I assume not, so let me quote it for you:
"Obviously not all DZ's have slopes. If you don't have a good slope on your DZ somewhere, you may have to put this one off until you're at a DZ that does have one."

The article address' the fact that maybe you won't be able to do it at your DZ.

Sorry if I didn't put that in my post and required reading to find it. :)

However, anyone that is giving canopy advice, should be comfortable performing all those items on the list.

But that's just my $0.02

P.S. Dave - It was more directed to people who aren't swooping competitors. ;)