- 2500 summary logs, 200 detailed logs
- Name your DZ, AC and Alarm Settings with the NMU
- 8 Selectable Alarm Groups
- Customize your Alarm Tones with the NMU
- Independently Set Measurement Units

Price: Final price not set - estimated to be at $299 retail
Release Date: Early Summer 2008.

-----------------------
I'm not sure when "early summer" is ....
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Some pics from PIA Barcelona of the N3. It's a very good looking piece of gear. I'm sure most people will like what it has to offer.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Any word on the new N3? I tried ordering one recently, and was told they're not quite yet available. I appreciate the Altitrack, but it still doesn't give accurate readings compared to a Neptune 2. The N3 is likely what will push me over the edge to Paralog and new altimeter, since the Altitrack consistently reports incorrect data.

Any word on the new N3? I tried ordering one recently, and was told they're not quite yet available.

Alti-2 hasn't announced a release date yet. I'm guessing a few more months....thats just a guess.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Alti-2 hasn't announced a release date yet. I'm guessing a few more months....thats just a guess.

that's sorta what I was thinking. "Early summer" might mean "early Indian Summer," I suppose.

Compared to the Neptune 2, other than the glass/aluminum casing and usb/rechargeable, what's the diff in fxnality?
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

I don't care that the software is similar, I need a tougher neptune!

Any chance you will make one out of stainless instead of aluminum? My body eats anything that isn't gold or stainless. Even a hard coated pistol is no match to my sweat!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Any word on the new N3? I tried ordering one recently, and was told they're not quite yet available. I appreciate the Altitrack, but it still doesn't give accurate readings compared to a Neptune 2. The N3 is likely what will push me over the edge to Paralog and new altimeter, since the Altitrack consistently reports incorrect data.

Really? I replaced my broken Pro-Track with another Pro-Track because it seems to give far better data than my Neptune. The Neptune is all over the map with regard to fallrates and has been since I got it (last year). I've assumed it just reports "snapshots" in time that don't take into account hand movement, etc, as opposed to averaging over some longer time interval.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Really? I replaced my broken Pro-Track with another Pro-Track because it seems to give far better data than my Neptune. The Neptune is all over the map with regard to fallrates and has been since I got it (last year). I've assumed it just reports "snapshots" in time that don't take into account hand movement, etc, as opposed to averaging over some longer time interval.

Blues,
Dave

Do you fly a wingsuit?

Blues,
Dave

Do you fly a wingsuit?

Only occasionally. I'm not sure if I've used my Neptune on a wingsuit jump, but my Pro-Track has always given me data that matched up reasonably with my subjective impressions of the jumps.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I wear two logging devices; Neptune consistently records false exit altitude, while Altitrack consistently records altitude that matches my chest mount/analog.
Altitrack usually confuses a hard dive to a flock with a deployment, Neptune doesn't.
Neptune records time that matches with other flocker's Neptunes.
Doesn't matter if I wear these on my helmet, ankles or wrists, readings on both units are flawed in one way or another.

what's the diff in fxnality?

More logging memory (2500 jumps logged w/ details).

Now I do hope it takes a bit more time cause I only received my N2 three days prior to learning about the N3 and was really frustrated as th IR connection gave me some trouble and i had thought "why cant they just make one with a mini-usb?!"...
Wait 2 years to get the Neptune, and then three days after having it the joy gets tainted - boohoooo! ;)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Altitrack usually confuses a hard dive to a flock with a deployment,

Is it set for 'Slow' mode?
Mine did that too until I changed the setting; since then it hasn't done it at all. I wear it on my wrist and use an Optima in my helmet. I'm very satisfied with both.
But what do I know?

Blues,
Dave

The Neptune and How freefall speeds are calculated?
There are speeds logged at specific altitudes (normally 12,000, 9,000, 6000, and 3,000), as well as an overall average speed.

To find the speed at, for example, 12,000 feet, Neptune looks at the time taken to fall through a 1000' distance, 500' either side of the nominal altitude, in this case from 12,500 to 11,500 feet.

When the time/altitude log is processed by Neptune after you land Neptune looks for the first time/altitude reading that occurred below 12,500', it then looks for the first time/altitude reading that occurred below 11,500'.

The average speed is then the distance between the two points divided by the time between the two points.

So.... how can you get wild readings??

We all know, or we should know, that altimeters sense atmospheric pressure, and that pressure changes with altitude, we also know that the location of an altimeter also affects pressure.

To take an extreme example, if you have a chest mounted Neptune and are stable on your back as you pass 12,500, then you flip on to your belly before 11,500 feet, the difference in pressure caused by your body position could equal 500' altitude difference. On your back your altimeter is in your burble and reading a lower pressure and therefore a higher altitude.

The bottom line is that in this case you will lose 500' indicated altitude just by flipping over, and your calculated speed will be double your actual speed. As I said, an extreme case. The point is that position of the altimeter will have some effect on altitude reading and therefore the speed that is displayed.

The larger of the band used to calculate the speed, the less the potential errors.

The size of the band, and the altitudes that the speeds are calculated at can be changed using the NMU (Neptune Maintenance Utility).

The overall average is calculated by dividing the distance between exit and deployment by the time taken to fall that distance.

Roger Allen
Alti-2
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Altitrack usually confuses a hard dive to a flock with a deployment,

Is it set for 'Slow' mode?
Mine did that too until I changed the setting; since then it hasn't done it at all. I wear it on my wrist and use an Optima in my helmet. I'm very satisfied with both.

Yes, it's set for slow mode. it's been looked at by half a dozen people over the past 6 months. I've received a new unit from L&B.

been wearing mine every weekend since I got it (over a month) and still on the original charge. Only gripe is the wrist mount. The N3 does not mount to anything. You feed the wrist strap through the armor, then slip the N3 into the armor. Basically the only thing holding the N3 is the armor. Not that reassuring considering how "retard" strong some of these AFF students will pull on your altimeter :P