lifesatrip

steering line routing

Would a canopy fly any different if you did not route the steering line through the guide ring? I have heard and seen of people adding a different guide ring into their slink to raise the steering line point on the riser. Or there are those who jump with triple risers to make it so that the steering lines don't have to deflect so much. So if you didn't route the steering line through the guide ring would the canopy fly any different? Would the flair on the canopy change? Would the pressure from the openings have the chance to rip the toggle out of the stow? From the couple of sets of BASE gear I have seen they don't route through a guide ring.

Would a canopy fly any different if you did not route the steering line through the guide ring?

it won't fly differently, but they way you control it will feel different

I have heard and seen of people adding a different guide ring into their slink to raise the steering line point on the riser.

the most common reason to do this is so that you do not pull down brakeline when reaching up past the guide ring to grip your rear risers for rear riser landings

some feel it also makes for a cleaner grip on the rears

it allows you use more rear siser input before deflecting the tail through the brakelines

if your slider comes down fast and/or you don't pull it down soon after opening, these rings will beat up your slider grommets, leading to all kinds of bad things

the transition from rear risers to toggles feels very different when you do this, as you will probably have some slack in the brakelines you need to take up before your toggle input does anything

Would the flair on the canopy change?

I don't feel that it affects the flare.

Would the pressure from the openings have the chance to rip the toggle out of the stow?

I would say it has less of a chance, because the additional guide ring (at the slinks) will provide some friction and ensures a straighter pull on the original guide ring. Add to this that you now have to stick the brakesetting catseye and some line above and below it through the guide ring, this looks to be a more secure configuration as far as the chances of the toggle being ripped off goes.

From the couple of sets of BASE gear I have seen they don't route through a guide ring.

This is true only when you are configured slider-off or slider down. Then you use a loop-ring-toggle system, as on the Strong tandem risers.

When you jump slider up on BASE gear, the brakeline goes through the guide ring.

Would a canopy fly any different if you did not route the steering line through the guide ring?

It feels different.

If you flare off to the side it will take more control movement to get a stall. Since you're pulling directly on the tail, any movement away from your body goes towards the tail instead of pulling the steering line around the ring.

Would the flair on the canopy change? Would the pressure from the openings have the chance to rip the toggle out of the stow?

You need to to lock the brake line down some how or the toggles will rip the elastic stows right off the risers. BASE risers have an additional line loop (like the 3-ring release loop) sewn to the riser. Slider down/off jumps with the brake lines routed outside the guide rings (so you can throw away the toggle if you get a line over) run the loop through the brake setting cat eye and through the guide ring. The toggle then goes through the riser loop.

I used to use this mod and liked the way that it felt. But I went back to using the original guide ring due to the fact that if you let go of your toggles when using the higher guide ring then there is a much greater chance of them getting tangled with the lines at the top of your risers.