rhoaddawg

Spectra or Dacron

Stays in trim, lasts longer, softens hard openings: Dacron
Packs smaller, and is what all the cool kids use: Spectra
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

For what? What do you do with it? What size and wing loading? How long do you want it to last before your next reline?

And remember your options are all spectra, spectra with Dacron center and outer A's for casual CReW and my favorite all Dacron.

I have Spectra on both of my Tri's. Why?

Mainly because of the pack volume aspect since opening shock is not an issue on the Tri. Longevity is not an issue with me although I certainly understand the viewpoint of saving $$$ with the longer-lasting trim factor. For me, the small difference in longevity was not worth the effort of having to squeeze all that Dacron into a pack tray over 800 times.

Note:
The lineset you buy will be the 4.0 Mod lineset. Make sure your rigger knows that...in case your Tri currently has the original configuration. If he doesn't know, he may incorrectly install the 4.0 lineset in the original configuration...believe me, that doesn't work at all well.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Since Triathalons are frequently used for CRW, I think that is the main idea behind the Dacron option. Dacron lines are preferred for CRW because they will not cut through arms and legs as quickly as Spectra in the event of an entanglement.

So, if you're not doing CRW and just want best performance and lowest pack volume, use Spectra. If you're going to do any CRW, use Dacron.

Kevin

So, if you're not doing CRW and just want best performance and lowest pack volume, use Spectra. If you're going to do any CRW, use Dacron.

Kevin

Uh actually Kevin Dacron doesn't pack that much bigger than spectra. I know guys that get their Spectres and Stilettos relined with Dacron knowing the owners will never CreW.

Dacron is an under appreciated skydiver commodity in terms of lines. It isn't just for CReW any more

Thanks, Glen.
I'm probable thinking more of the Dacron used on dedicated CRW canopies, which is VERY large, to make for easy grabbing and less line burns. It makes sense that it would also come in "normal" size for non-CRW canopies.

Dacron is an under appreciated skydiver commodity in terms of lines. It isn't just for CReW any more

Agree 100%. I don't do crw (but might in the future); I love my Dacron lined Spectre. It opens sooooooo soft - considerably softer than any of the microline (Spectra) lined Spectres I've jumped. It does pack a bit bigger but not like going up a full size (Spectre 150 w/Dacron packs a bit smaller into my rig than a Spectre 170 w/ microline but not as small as a Spectre 150 w/microline).

Our CReW team camera guy needs a new line set for his Tri recently. Its his only main. Besides video for us he does casual 4-way RW and tandem video I really recommended all Dacron but he was fearful that my basis was strictly so we could dock him:D. It was hard to convince him that wasn't even a reason I recommend dacron.