jacketsdb23

from Elsinore fatality thread - Brake Stowage

Its very much a Wings container DZ and the risers have a very tight elastic band to fit the brake line in. It just doesn't look nice and its not easy to do ( I know, not an excuse, its just how it is).

did you try by stowing the excess line before securing the lower part of the toggle ? Works like a charm and teh excess is very well held in place

Proper instructions for stowage of excess brake line can be found on Page 36 of the Wings User Manual. It is precisely as described above. I've never seen this and know a lot of Wings users who choose not to do this. I know that I will when I pack them from now on.

Anyone else have feedback on the manufacturers method? Does it work sufficiently for you?
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Its very much a Wings container DZ and the risers have a very tight elastic band to fit the brake line in. It just doesn't look nice and its not easy to do ( I know, not an excuse, its just how it is).

did you try by stowing the excess line before securing the lower part of the toggle ? Works like a charm and teh excess is very well held in place

Proper instructions for stowage of excess brake line can be found on Page 36 of the Wings User Manual. It is precisely as described above. I've never seen this and know a lot of Wings users who choose not to do this. I know that I will when I pack them from now on.

Anyone else have feedback on the manufacturers method? Does it work sufficiently for you?

I've not ever used that method - I use the two elastic loops on the back side of the risers to store my excess brake line. I just looked at the original 22" risers I got with my Wings (DOM 2003, though I bought it used in 2005). They did not have any elastic keepers on them (though I'd had a rigger add some for me), but when I got new 20" risers in 2006 (the ones I use now), those do have the elastic keepers on the back. Since the owners manual is dated 2002, it appears that Wings has made some modification to their standard riser configuration since.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

those do have the elastic keepers on the back.

Do you find those elastic keepers easy to use?

I don't- as I come across them on Wings risers, the elastic is too tight. If I owned a Wings, I would modify it (through a rigger, of course). I wonder if the old method has not been modified in the Owners Manual because they still recommend stowing the brake line in the same fashion as before the addition of the elastic band. I'm certainly going to look into it this weekend.

I don't believe this to be a trivial issue and it has been talked about on this site since at least 2003 when searching for Brake Stowing threads.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Do you find those elastic keepers easy to use?

They're kind of a pain, but they do hold the excess in there nice and tight. When I pack for myself I stow the excess using the elastic keepers, and when I use a packer it depends on whether I stow the brakes myself (sometimes I do sometimes I let the packers do it for me). I should be more consistent about it since I've never seen a packer stow the excess, and it's obviously a risk point.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have a Wings container DOM 4/2007 and the elastic keepers are quite difficult to use. I find them to be rather small and difficult to thread slack line through without deforming the brake line long before it should be replaced. The method that I have been using to stow the slack is by taking the loop formed by placing the toggle through the cat's eye (below the ring) and placing it on the top of the toggle before stowing the toggle in the top keeper. The top of the toggle goes through the loop of brake line. Brake line to the inside of the riser going to the canopy, excess to the outside of the riser. Going forward I will either have a rigger modify the loop on the back of the riser to make it bigger or try Mirage's riser which has a larger loop.

For the record, I always store the slack line. I had the tip of one of the fingers on a glove get caught in my brake line as I deployed them once - the excess was not stowed.